• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery group number for M35A2

randyscycle

Searched the site pretty extensively, but cannot find what battery number is correct for my AM General M35A2. There are currently some junkers in there that are mismatched.

If it makes a difference its a Continental Multifuel with the Whistler "C" Turbo.

Any help is appreciated!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The correct military batteries would be 6TL or 6TN. Doesn't matter what kind of engine or even what kind of truck... they're pretty much universal on anything bigger than a jeep, as far as I know.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't' give up on the search too soon, try alternate key words and select "search all terms" and select the deuce or deuce modifications forums when searching for deuce stuff. The batteries and alternatives to use for the deuce has been covered pretty well in the past. Group 31's and 24's are common choices. Nothing fits like an original mil battery except the Optima battery and it has an adapter to mount it correctly in the same space as the mil battery. Here's one thread on batteries with some ideas. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....tdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=battery+group (I found it searching for "battery group")

Michael

The 6TL (or one of its derivatives) are the correct battery but they are expensive and only have a one year warranty. Several have reported only getting two years use out of them. I just recently put two of wal mart's boat batteries in mine. The smaller ones they sell are the correct height and length, they are just not as wide. Here are some pictures of how I did it. The brackets are made from camo net supports. They allowed me to use the original battery hold down pieces unmodified.

Attachments

randyscycle

I did a run to my local NAPA and just measured and found a set that will fit.

My plan is something similar to yours Michael...a set of custom hold downs.

I picked up two 750CCA's, with a 24 month warranty.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Michael said:
The 6TL (or one of its derivatives) are the correct battery but they are expensive and only have a one year warranty. Several have reported only getting two years use out of them. .
i only got about 3 months out of my set of interstae U6TL's. i went to interstate for a warranty and there was only a 6 month warranty on them. by the time i went to get the new batteries it was 7 months and they wouldnt even help me

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put two NAPA 1150CCAs commercial batteries in mine last week. They fit well enough with some 2x4 spacers on the sides.

steve

jim-m35a2

Michael said:
The 6TL (or one of its derivatives) are the correct battery but they are expensive and only have a one year warranty. Several have reported only getting two years use out of them. I just recently put two of wal mart's boat batteries in mine. The smaller ones they sell are the correct height and length, they are just not as wide. Here are some pictures of how I did it. The brackets are made from camo net supports. They allowed me to use the original battery hold down pieces unmodified.
Marine batteries might work well for the warmer States but here in the North, we need all the power we can get from the batteries. We need the higher CCA's then the thicker walled constuction of the Marine bats.
________
FERRARI F2003-GA

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6TN, 6TL, 6TMF etc, batteries have a higher reserve capacity than the common commercial replacements (twice what Optima has) and they have vents that permit under water operation to about 4 ft other than that, any two batteries will work fine for the deuce. Make sure they are identical, brand, age, state of charge, since they are charged and used in a series configuration. As for cranking capacity, you should seldom need more than 400 amps, remember its a 24 volt system.
To extend the life, keep them fully charged at all times and batteries like a cold ambient temp, hot weather reduces life dramatically. Sulfation will kill the batteries in time if not kept fully charged, so maintenance is a big thing, "Check batteries daily" means to keep them fully charged and all connections perfect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm frugal and use very inexpensive batteries in my trucks. Using the smaller batts like this gives my some extra storage are for a few qts of gear oil or the like.

sprucemt

The East Penn Deka military 6TMF has 750 cold cranking amps, 230 amp reserve capacity and 120, 20AH rate. It is specifically designed for military application. It has special anchor lock elements to resist vibration. Double ribbed polypropylene case provides protection in abusive enviroments. Full frame cast grids, HD plates and high density oxide, prevents internal shorts and withstands high cycling service.

I would say the same standard exists for Exide military batteries.

My experience with Deka batteries is a life span of 5 to 6 years per battery, in a more abusive climate than I have ever seen posted on this site.

With that said, good luck trying to get one.

HeadWizard

sprucemt said:
The East Penn Deka military 6TMF has 750 cold cranking amps, 230 amp reserve capacity and 120, 20AH rate. It is specifically designed for military application. It has special anchor lock elements to resist vibration. Double ribbed polypropylene case provides protection in abusive enviroments. Full frame cast grids, HD plates and high density oxide, prevents internal shorts and withstands high cycling service.

I would say the same standard exists for Exide military batteries.

My experience with Deka batteries is a life span of 5 to 6 years per battery, in a more abusive climate than I have ever seen posted on this site.

With that said, good luck trying to get one.
EXACTLY! I called East Penn / DEKA and tried to buy some 6TMF's using my wholesale company name and ID. I was told that by the branch manager that without a military purchase order that listed what unit number the batteries were going in to, they could not sell to me. Oh Well.

You can get them readily from Interstate, (we sell them at the shop), but don't expect much in the way of warranty support from them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don, the reserve capacity is usually measured in minutes, that's how long it can sustain a discharge rate of 25 amps before the voltage drops to 10.5.....

sprucemt

cranetruck said:
Don, the reserve capacity is usually measured in minutes, that's how long it can sustain a discharge rate of 25 amps before the voltage drops to 10.5.....
Just typing what is on Deka's stat sheet.

So that would be 120 minutes discharge rate at 20 amps.

Michael

The only truck I have ever bought that had good batteries had Dekas in it. It started right up without a jump and hasn't given me any trouble since. All the rest have been junk.

bugei

no hijack intended.

are the batteries for the 800 series trucks the same size? i have to pick up a 5 ton that i know needs batteries to get started

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks