• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery move

MARCO1031

I see you are in northern MI. You get some harsh weather up there and I would imagine the bigger batteries would be better. If it were me I would choose amps over space under the hood. Heck if I were there I would probably have a 4 battery setup....more power! :-D

AJMBLAZER

Eh, I just bought what I already had. Used plenty of more modern, smaller batteries just fine.

That said I'm in the process of moving to Kentucky so I doubt I'll really need them.

acesneights1

IN the end it still is 6.2 Smaller batts should be fine but I do like those big ones but here's a question...Has anyone successfully moved the firewall Batt to the pass side ? I want to free up space there for a possible 6.5 turbo setup. Otherwise I was thinking of tossing the batt trays altogether and using stock dual trays from a civvy model. I think the firewall batt will be in the way for my future turbo.

MARCO1031

Why not do what I did in reverse. Move the rear battery to the front and then remove the rear tray. I think you would have to lengthen a couple of cables but I bet it would work. If you did that would it free up the room you will need for the turbo mod?

MARCO1031

Are the batteries on the 1008 on the drivers side? I thought, with the exception of the m1010 that they were basically the same configuration on all of the CUCVs with the two battery trays on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

4bogginchevys

I did it a little different

IN the end it still is 6.2 Smaller batts should be fine but I do like those big ones but here's a question...Has anyone successfully moved the firewall Batt to the pass side ? I want to free up space there for a possible 6.5 turbo setup. Otherwise I was thinking of tossing the batt trays altogether and using stock dual trays from a civvy model. I think the firewall batt will be in the way for my future turbo.
I had to get new batts for 1008 and was also unhappy with the waste of space under the hood....

I found a late 80s 1 ton 2wd w/ 6.2 (civy) and went to work pulling the batt trays and coolant overflow bottle, (bottle is attached to pass side batt tray, fits pretty snug next to radiator, and also bolts to core support next to rad)

When I got my loot home I removed both trays and the overflow on the 1008

I was able to shorten the small hose that runs from the filler neck to bottle and it doesn't need to cross any more as the civy bottle attaches to the bat tray pass side

The bracket that held the bottom of old coolant bottle (drivers side) had to be bent out of the way a little and 1 (5/16) hole drilled in the bottom of core support:-D for bolt on bottom of new tray I think I bought 3 1.25" bolts w/ nuts as the inner fender on drivers side doesn't have room for the flat nut things that are stock for a (hands free nut)

After I got the new trays bolted in and the coolant hose connected at filler neck I put together some old cables just good enough to drive to a good shop here that makes custom batt cables

It was about 55.00 for the cables because we used some 0 guage welding lead for 1 of the cables to carry more load since i'm not running the big big bats

BTW, since I cannot use the slave hook-up I just coiled those cables up, zip tied them and stuffed them under new pass side batt tray. The best thing about this mod for me is that it's all completely reversible..........message me if you need a batt tray or two and the stock military coolant bottle

Edit: only 1 hole needed to be drilled(drivers side thru bottom of core support), all other previously unused holes are already punched but will require a nut on back side.

Last edited:

solarmon

Well I took those big batteries out a couple of years ago and put civilian car batteries in....Recently one of my batteries went bad and while I was messing around I decided to put both batteries on one tray to make some extra room for maybe a veggie oil fuel heater water separator...or something.
Anyway has anybody else tried this or had any bad experiences doing this. Hopefully it will be a helpful mod.
just put both my batteries on the rear tray. would have preferred the front one, but the cables wouldn't reach

kentuckycucv

I needed the depth ti install my fuel heater, it needs about 16 inches down, moving the batteries to the back was perfect for my new equipment, I have plenty of room to add othe things. I may have to install an electric fuel pump, I also have a crazy idea to make a smoke screen device..

solarmon

I needed the depth ti install my fuel heater, it needs about 16 inches down, moving the batteries to the back was perfect for my new equipment, I have plenty of room to add othe things. I may have to install an electric fuel pump, I also have a crazy idea to make a smoke screen device..
nice to know that a fuel heater fits there, as I'm seeing french fry grease in MY cucv's future:-D

kapnklug

Hey there KentuckyCUCV, where did you get that Webb 525 filter system? I can't find a retail outlet for them. Oh and what did it cost?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks