• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batterys

sully429

What is everybodys thoughts or opinions on which brand battery to use in your CUCV? I live in NW Pa. so it is either hot or cold 6 months out of the year. and is there any problem with using two different brands or CCA for the front and back battery?

cucv1833

What is everybodys thoughts or opinions on which brand battery to use in your CUCV? I live in NW Pa. so it is either hot or cold 6 months out of the year. and is there any problem with using two different brands or CCA for the front and back battery?

I have a new walmart batt. for the front and a old 2005 dated battery for the back differnt brands and CCA .

I leave the truck sitting for 2 months at a time while im working with no trickle charger and it starts on the first time every time. No issiues and still running strong. 2cents

derby

I thought I had a great idea when I replaced my 6 tl's with wally mart batteries. I have had three of them fail within two years, just out of warranty and no pro-rating that is it. I have two more that I think are about to croak.
I replaced my 5 ton's with two 4D's I think Exide? from TSC there only a year old so the jury is out on those. I won't buy any more Wally-Johnson Controlls batteries!
You idealy should have a matched pair of batteries.

I second this motion. Costco batteries have lasted me 3 years so far;-)
I third that.
I got 2 group 65's for like $85 each I think. 900cca, 36 month warranty/100 month prorated and the reserve capacity is real high too.

You can't beat their quality, or customer service/warranty especially for the price. I'd stay away from Wal-Mart (Neverstart) batteries. They have shorter warranties, lower CCA ratings, and most of the batteries don't last. And the price is about the same as a Costco battery.

jdeoliveira74

I purchased a marine battery from wally word and It seems to be leaking from the top of the battery. Currently I am running 1 battery in my truck 1190 cca from Oriley's

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read all of this and I find it interesting that everyone seems to get AWAY from the Interstate 6TL's - mainly listing cost as the reason

AND NONE OF YOU seem to get more than two or three years.

I just replaced all six of my 6TL's in my three CUCV's last year - four of the six had lasted MORE than six years - two of those I USED for four years and they were used when I got the truck.

I find that you can ABUSE the 6TL - draining it, boiling it, doing almost EVERYTHING to it and it will revive if it's at all possible

You can't say that about ANY of the batteries you folks are talking about

and because I bought six of them, I paid $105 each. Regular price was $135.

While they are NOT cheap, they ARE correct for the vehicle and in my mind (and the military) they are the BEST battery for these trucks - not the BEST VALUE battery for these trucks

sorry, I got ZERO NEED to go out to either of my CUCV's and find a dead or worn out battery

yes, I have the milspec battery tenders as well...

there IS a reason the military chose the 6TL's - THEY WORK BEST

Coalman

I run the 3 year free replacement group 65 everstart from walmart in my 2 cat dozers and they seam to last about 2 1/2 years . The good thing is they are free replacement, so each time they give you new ones the warranty starts over. The cats are 12 volt but I run 2 batteries in each machine for the cold cranking amps . Just got 2 new ones Friday and they where the third time I replaced them in the last 5 years and only ever paid for the first 2. Where else can you basically get a free batteries ever two - three years .

I read all of this and I find it interesting that everyone seems to get AWAY from the Interstate 6TL's - mainly listing cost as the reason

AND NONE OF YOU seem to get more than two or three years.

I just replaced all six of my 6TL's in my three CUCV's last year - four of the six had lasted MORE than six years - two of those I USED for four years and they were used when I got the truck.

I find that you can ABUSE the 6TL - draining it, boiling it, doing almost EVERYTHING to it and it will revive if it's at all possible

You can't say that about ANY of the batteries you folks are talking about

and because I bought six of them, I paid $105 each. Regular price was $135.

While they are NOT cheap, they ARE correct for the vehicle and in my mind (and the military) they are the BEST battery for these trucks - not the BEST VALUE battery for these trucks

sorry, I got ZERO NEED to go out to either of my CUCV's and find a dead or worn out battery

yes, I have the milspec battery tenders as well...

there IS a reason the military chose the 6TL's - THEY WORK BEST

$105/$135 reg price? How did you manage that? Everytime I found prices for Interstate 6TL's it was something like $205 with a $250 list price.

I actually wanted Odyssey group 31 Batteries for my CUCV (I've heard nothing but great things about them), however I didn't have $700 to spend on two batteries.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
military seems to agree with me

and how did I get that price? I called the Interstate distributor in the Colorado area and asked them how much. Like I said, because I purchased six, I got a fair discount, but my distributor has sold them to me in PAIRS for $250 plus tax... don't know where you are getting that price, but you can call or email Interstate directly and get them to give you a quote and WHO has them at that price.

that's what I do anyway and have for a long time

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wallew,

The military is converting to the Hawkers. They are AGM batteries, and much better than any SLA battery. The downside is they are $$$$ new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks