• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed crane designs...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
where did you find that stuff? That is cool, I think I need to find more info.
I thought I remembered seeing something like this when I was in the Army.....no idea when or where....could have been at some MV junkyard too......DAMIFINO.

I just typed "manual shelter loading system" into a search engine.

This is what I got: Vehicles

runk

And another link
Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] lifting an S-250
From the same guy, here is a copy of the text-

The manual that I am referring to is:

Preliminary P.T.O.-WVT-CP790000-A

Technical Manual

Operation and Maintenance
Instructions
with
Illustrated Parts
Breakdown

407L Loading System

Benet R&E Laboratories
Watervliet Arsenal
M1PR-FY76 207100014

Published under authority of the secretary of the Air Force

October 1971

That's all the print on the cover. And yes it's Air Force. The inside
reference says the size of the lift is only limited by the size of the bed
of the truck, and will work on shelters or pallets, etc, as long as the
front corners have lifting rings attached to them. The weight limit for
this particular loading system is 10K lbs.

The kit part number is listed as 407L Loading System, Watervliet Arsenal
part number WTV-C22268.

Hope this helps some. I'll follow up soon.

John

plym49

Heath, it can be done. I have seen custom motorcycle tlifts like this and they sure are $$$$.

There are two altenatives for one of these. Alternative 1 has the frame mounting inside the bed of the Deuce, kind of like the first illustration posted in this thread. Alternative B is to create an assembly that is in pieces, set up with hitch pins, that sits outside the Deuce. It can attach to the pintle (or a receiver if you have one) and use outriggers. Now you have a solid three point footprint. Having it mount outside (wider than the Deuce, of course) and low might add stability.

Either alternative has the possibility of using the Deuce's own front-mounted winch up and over. That way, no hydraulics. You would need a strong enough 'wave guide' so that the hood and cab are not damaged by the line. This could mount to the front bumper by the front D ring mounts.

Food for thought...........

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

And another link
Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] lifting an S-250
From the same guy, here is a copy of the text-

The manual that I am referring to is:

Preliminary P.T.O.-WVT-CP790000-A

Technical Manual

Operation and Maintenance
Instructions
with
Illustrated Parts
Breakdown

407L Loading System

Benet R&E Laboratories
Watervliet Arsenal
M1PR-FY76 207100014

Published under authority of the secretary of the Air Force

October 1971

That's all the print on the cover. And yes it's Air Force. The inside
reference says the size of the lift is only limited by the size of the bed
of the truck, and will work on shelters or pallets, etc, as long as the
front corners have lifting rings attached to them. The weight limit for
this particular loading system is 10K lbs.

The kit part number is listed as 407L Loading System, Watervliet Arsenal
part number WTV-C22268.

Hope this helps some. I'll follow up soon.

John
I'm searching...but not finding more on this system.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Looking at these, I wonder if there is a way to blend the two designs. A single vertical that can fold flat/angle out, and a single extendable swing arm that can rotate 180 deg. (Pinned in place?) The winch could be placed on top or at the base with a couple pullies.

Could we use a truck hub/bearings for the pivot, and I beam for the structure, or would that be overkill?

I'm just thinking it would give you more control over the load because you could swing it to the side, and not just down the centerline.

Heath_h49008

Epiphany!

That balanced pallet fork in the video? Just build one out of a manual pallet jack. Once the load is on the bed, maneuver it how you want. Same thing on the ground to get it into position relative to the truck.

I'm not 100% certain the forks on a normal pallet jack are strong enough to do the job. I think they might break at the rear if the load was heavy enough. Those things are designed to spread the load over 4 points... 2 of which are at the front of the forks... not transfer the whole load via the back of them like a forklift.

I have no idea how I could find out if they would snap unless I broke one...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This was the design I saw that was like yours.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVrT26YHpWg&feature=related[/media]

Heath_h49008

My goal is 2000lbs and foldable. The reason being, a 250gal IBC container is about that full of waste oil, and I really don't want the boom sticking up to get snagged.

Electric or hydraulic is a question...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
my bed crane.
Been there done that, no need to drag a wrecker around for smaller lifts. Need a crane to lift my 395s on hemtt rims in the bed if I get a flat. Maybe some other toys too.

Heath, you really need to think about how you will control swing if you are moving 2klbs. Even on level ground that will be hard to do.

Last edited:

rawhide

I was looking at one like this until I saw how much they are new:
Truck-Mounted Knuckle Krane
I can't find anything like this used. It folds up nicely and has all the capacity I would need, plus it's long enough to reach all four corners of the truck if you mount it at the front center of the bed.

of course, a simple boom crane might be better. This one is short enough to fit under the cargo cover if you mount it with the base inverted (at 56" high).
Truck-Mounted Foldable Hydraulic Crane

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there done that, no need to drag a wrecker around for smaller lifts. Need a crane to lift my 395s on hemtt rims in the bed if I get a flat. Maybe some other toys too.
Other toys? You mean like the TBFH I helped you load once? ONCE

HanksDeuce

I just called EZY-LIFT and inquired about the flatbed version of the EZYLIFT 2000 for my bobbed deuce with the M105A2 bed. Regular price for the EZYLIFT 2000 flatbed version is $6,300+ and he offered me 20% off before the end of the year. That came to $5,000. Quite the sticker shock. Looks like I won't be putting one of those on my bobbed deuce.

Back to the drawing board...