• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed liner in m1009?

Cletus09

I've been thinking about using bedliner on the inside of my cucv. I was run it from the tailgate all the way up under the seats and under the drivers feet. To kinda make a hillbilly carpet. However, I don't have any experience with the stuff. I was just wondering if this was a worthwhile idea? And does anyone know of any kits, or what I will need to complete such a project?

ARYankee

Many folks have done that to their M1009s. There are several threads about bed coatings on here. Just do a search :) I'm in the process of it now. I have pulled the seats out and the matting up. I'm in the middle of sanding/stripping all the rust. I plan on using the Herculiner kit from Autozone. I went to the Herculiner website and read up how to apply it since I have never messed with stuff before. The main thing is repairing any holes, removing rust, and you have to rough up the surface for it to adhere good.

blackhueys

i did mine from firewall to tailgate up both sides and did the inside roof front and rear also with rhino helped quit it down a bit and everything's protected now. I also did it on the outside like a rocker panel design front to rear both sides just below the wheel wells if you want some pics let me know.

ajsmith184

Good advice. I am doing it myself here shortly as well...Ordering Durabak online, resists UV fading..Doing the interior, wheel wells, and under body to the frame. Hope to cut down on some of the noise, prevent further rust, and have something easy to clean up

Cletus09

i did mine from firewall to tailgate up both sides and did the inside roof front and rear also with rhino helped quit it down a bit and everything's protected now. I also did it on the outside like a rocker panel design front to rear both sides just below the wheel wells if you want some pics let me know.

Picture would be awesome! 'd like to see what I'm getting myself into.

davidkroberts

yeah ive done a few of mine I usually use Herculiner from Autozone but I have also used Raptor tinted with OD paint. Both work great just depends if you want a grainy finish or not.

twlinks

Aren't the bedliners awfully hard to keep clean as well? I would think dust/dirt/mud would be a b_ _ _ _ to clean out. Even the spray on Rustoleum Bedliner product feels like fine grit sandpaper to me. I don't plan on being that hard on mine so I'm just cleaning the floor up, POR-15 on any areas that need it and then painting it like the exterior.

Cleptomaniac

I would like to do this to mine. But have been thinking about having it done commercially. I know it is expensive. But would be as much as 1/4" thick! Just a thought.

ajsmith184

Aren't the bedliners awfully hard to keep clean as well? I would think dust/dirt/mud would be a b_ _ _ _ to clean out. Even the spray on Rustoleum Bedliner product feels like fine grit sandpaper to me. I don't plan on being that hard on mine so I'm just cleaning the floor up, POR-15 on any areas that need it and then painting it like the exterior.

Be interested in hearing a response to this..I was wondering that as well....

Stillmotion

yeah ive done a few of mine I usually use Herculiner from Autozone but I have also used Raptor tinted with OD paint. Both work great just depends if you want a grainy finish or not.
I just ordered a gallon of the 383 OD paint to use on my m101. If I go the raptor route, can I use that paint to tint it? I would like to bedline the inside and the frame after adding a coat of chassis saver to the frame.

I also read up a bit on monstaliner as well and saw a few reviews on a Jeep forum, but Im not sure which I can use my exact paint to tint.

any advise would be great.

Cleptomaniac

I have a appointment next Monday to have mine LineXed 600$ whole tub and both rockers! OD green :) can't wait! I'll post some pics when I get it done.

cucv1833

I went with hurculiner and I'm happy with it. 1 kit allowed me to put 2- coats on front to back up to the bed rail. I bought a extra qt. But didn't need it. I plan on using it on my m101.

The local shop quoted me $500 to do it but the $100 kit and days work wasn't bad.
I sanded then cleaned with acetone the put 2-coat 1- in the morning and 1- in the evening.

Pic are in my album or thread in signature

gungearz

I did mine myself on both of my jeeps with herculiner. Its great for preserving the floors and for grip. The worst thing about it though is, if you camp in the back of it and you kneel down with shorts. You will definitely remember it. I liked the finish so much, I added it halfway up to the windows on the outside of it as well. If you ever got out of a truck from putting it on its side with it being muddy. You might slide all over the body and wish you did as well.... Its a great addition and enjoy your project.

stationjj

Hey I recently used Durabak on the interior of my M1009. It turned out very well. It is a very hard tough surface. It doesn't damage easily.

Yes,it will feel rough and grainy, because it has rubber granulates. This is suppose to reduce noise, and create a non skid surface. The grainy feel doesn't bother me, and works best for me.

Durabak offers a smooth version if you don't want the grainy feel.

stationjj

Attachments

edpdx

I have been considering this for my M009. I have a M1008 type pick-up that has been lined. I used the SEM kit. It comes with lots of product, a shutz gun and mixing cups. It can also be tinted. I used the Gillespie 383 OD and shot it out of a drywall hopper gun from HF. The tinted mix was to thick for the schutz gun- maybe I needed to turn up the pressure :roll:

The job came out very nice and the tint was very close. The SEM finish has good tactile feel. You can sit on it without tearing your skin- unlike the xliner. It is very thick too. Mine has lasted well, and I have some compliments on the job. SEM from quest auto or advance auto.

I just bought a 4 pack of Herculiner 1gal. kits on fleabay for $274 w/ free shipping (comes to $68 ea.) which is much better than $99 each at Autozone...

I plan on doing pretty much the whole inside, the rockers/door bottoms/lower parts, and bumpers (I also want to blackout the grill and headlight surrounds w/ normal paint). Now I just need the time to do it.

Warren Lovell

i used Herculiner on my Deuce floor pans and trans tunnel cover. Two coats and it comes out nice and uniform. It IS a nonskid surface and yes - on your knees with shorts on Herculiner could be painful. Attached is a photo of my M35A2 trans cover. Good stuff!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks