• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed ramps

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of you use, or have built, ramps up to the bed of the LMTV? What length has worked?

Also, I'm looking at some of the empty space under the bed, reward of the bed side storage compartments, and thinking they could be adapted to hold folding ramps. Thoughts?

coachgeo

Do any of you use, or have built, ramps up to the bed of the LMTV? What length has worked? ....Thoughts?
What do you want to take up the ramps? IMHO you'ld have to build ramp on wheels. AKA: wheeled towable ramps. One with full engineered structure to drive anything up that high. then there is the safety of driving up a steep angle on whatever you want to get up there. If not that then $ome thick aluminium ramp$ about $ame length of Bed maybe?

With all that.... you might as well get a low trailer to tow or a Tommy Lift type tail gate. Instead could possibly do a basket that attaches to hoist lift(s) mounted in the bed?

If all the load and unloading is at two different known places such as home and relatives home or home and your shop?..... then build an earthen berm loading dock at both places?

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have anything specific that I'm trying to put up there, but I own a bunch of things that would fit (e.g. Jeep, lawn tractor, etc.). So I figure that it would be good to have ramps that would get those things up in there, or even just to allow people to walk up into the bed easily with moving boxes.

coachgeo

Look at this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149949-MTV-and-LMTV

Essentially same questions asked there. IMHO... unless your jeep is an old light flat fender..... IMHO no way Jeep should go up there. Will be to unstable. It is only a 2.5 ton truck but that is not counting how much that capacity drops as Center of Gravity of whatever the cargo is raises. As comparison.. look up GVW of flat bed wreckers. They run somewhere around 12-ton capacity.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't own a forklift, so whatever I want to put up in there needs to go up on ramps if it's too heavy or bulky to lift over my head.

I used some nice fiberglass ramps years ago to ship a K5 Blazer inside a semi. I think I could make some nice folding aluminum ramps, or perhaps make some that are bed-length that could just be slid up inside the bed during movement.

I found these 16' ramps, which look similar to those I used. Since this LMTV bed is 1' higher than a semi bed, they would likely need to be even longer. I guess that means they will have to fold. www.zorinmaterial.com/products/products_detail.cfm?product=766&model=4359

Last edited:

PropDr

You can get 8+ foot ramps from most utility trailer dealers and they are more than wide enough to load a jeep. I would suggest anchoring them to the truck while in use though. Definitely a 2 person job to load a vehicle into something that high off of the ground and I would recommend that you use a good worm drive winch (worm drives don't have a brake that can fail) to draw it up the ramps.
As far as the capacity of the LMTV I don't see a problem, it's payload is 5000 lbs. Use common sense, don't exceed the weight ratings, drive it like a highway tractor and you won't have any problems.

coachgeo

These have a working height of 50" which is close to height of bed. An additional ramp you put on the ground first with something like these laid ontop might work. Still concerned with Center of G being pretty dangerously high with a vehicle up there but should work for most other things. Would think if you do this you'd want to squash the suspension of any vehicle you put up there so ou don't get oscillation between LMTV and vehicle up there.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the capacity of the LMTV I don't see a problem, it's payload is 5000 lbs. Use common sense, don't exceed the weight ratings, drive it like a highway tractor and you won't have any problems.
Actually the weight rating is 10,000 lbs on road. The 2.5 ton capacity is for cross country driving.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The suspension is soft if you put big weight in the bed it will come down and there are arms with rubber bumpers unde it that will rest on the frame.

dmetalmiki

If you are planning ww11 jeeps and such vehicles, the ramps can be any length from 8 foot upwards long. My ramps are 8 foot foot (Motorway Barrier Strips) and fitted to the deuce with larger wheels and quite a high bed to drive up into to, It is all about "going SLOW and STEADY", and clutch control. I stow my ramps under the bed of an M35A2 deuce having the a back flap (lockable) cut into the rear frame to allow the ramps to side in secured by chains and shackles, and the hatch also secured. there are pictures of that modification in my past posts and picture gallery.
https://youtu.be/zMFD4loIEOI

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please just forget I even mentioned the jeep, you're turning this into a thread about how I shouldn't do that. I was just throwing stuff out there because someone asked, and I really have no idea... I just want the capability to put stuff in there and I don't own a fork lift. From now on assume the only thing I want in there is my riding lawn mower.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a weedeater also?��
Maybe even 2!

I just started this post because without ramps, I can only get something as heavy as I can lift 5' in the air into the bed. So if I ever want to get something heavier than 100lb, I need ramps. I'm surprised more people haven't made some.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe even 2!

I just started this post because without ramps, I can only get something as heavy as I can lift 5' in the air into the bed. So if I ever want to get something heavier than 100lb, I need ramps. I'm surprised more people haven't made some.
Most fairgrounds have a loading ramp so it would be easy enough to load/unload as long as you have a fairgrounds nearby.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Because the bed is so high you would need long ramps. Unless you have lifting equipment the truck really isn't practical for transporting heavy stuff. The military has the equipment to go along with the truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Please just forget I even mentioned the jeep, you're turning this into a thread about how I shouldn't do that. I was just throwing stuff out there because someone asked, and I really have no idea... I just want the capability to put stuff in there and I don't own a fork lift. From now on assume the only thing I want in there is my riding lawn mower.
Have you thought about a bed mounted crane? I made one for my deuce but for the $1600 you'd spend on ramps, you could get a really nice crane.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A crane is a good idea, though I think I still need ramps. Plus, I think that empty space under the (rearward of the bed side storage boxes) is just begging to have ramps stored in it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about some sort of light duty ramps also. For me, I thought about one day getting a dual sport bike that I could take to events in the back of the truck. Also a way to maybe haul an ATV. Like Awesomeness also mentioned, it would be nice in order to make it easy to walk up and load boxes for moving. I have helped friends move many times and it sure would be nice to be able to use the 7x12 bed space with cargo cover to help move furniture and stuff. A light crane would work well for loading a dual sport or dirt bike, but an ATV might be pushing the weight limits and reach of some crane setups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks