• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bed ramps

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1k crane in rear like lmtv has but also have 12' Heat treated boards with angle iron underneath for the atvs. Steep yes but it works.
Not a bad idea! Can we talk you into taking a pic of the crane setup and the ramps on the truck (to gauge the angle)?

1951M1078

I was playing with the ramp idea and it looks like it would need to be about 20' +- to work well. That would be alot of stuff.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not opposed to a crane, but a crane is not really a direct substitute for a ramp, or vice-versa... so lets try to keep this about ramps. I'll probably end up with both anyway.

I'm not too concerned about 16-20' ramps. My idea is that they could fold up. So you can either have ~16' ramps that fold into 2x 8' parts that fit under the bed width, or 20'+ ramps that fold into 2x 10'+ lengths that you put up in the bed. Since the ramp angle is steep, you can make the ramps pretty strong by having them be a fairly "deep" structure.
LMTVRamp.png

coachgeo

Try a test to see how heavy and complex a set of ramps you need?

Consider hiring a roll back wrecker to lift largest item your thinking of putting up there. Park LMTV and wrecker tailgate to tailgate and transfer from one to the other. Can unload same way. BTDT with an IH flatbed and it worked great. Wrecker charged me 50bucks but was a friend of a friend.

Properly tie down your cargo to LMTV and drive. See how LMTV feels. Does she handle it well? Maybe do a light simulated emergency driving maneuver and see how that feels. If it all still feels doable to you and it would pass laws of the road GO FOR IT. With this experience you'll have more data you can use to design the ramps based around cargo. Would be no fun to build heavy complicated ramps that are very hard to set up only to discover the truck feels way to uncomfortable with something big up there. Might be just fine. Either way it should be good data to help in designing of ramps. Heck the wrecker might just do such a good job you'll find that may be your best choice for the rare times you put something big up there.

Just some ideas.. hope in some small way it helps you get to your main goals

Lmtv772

Banned
I'm not opposed to a crane, but a crane is not really a direct substitute for a ramp, or vice-versa... so lets try to keep this about ramps. I'll probably end up with both anyway.

I'm not too concerned about 16-20' ramps. My idea is that they could fold up. So you can either have ~16' ramps that fold into 2x 8' parts that fit under the bed width, or 20'+ ramps that fold into 2x 10'+ lengths that you put up in the bed. Since the ramp angle is steep, you can make the ramps pretty strong by having them be a fairly "deep" structure.
View attachment 623476
Looks like you got the whole ramp thing sorted out. Good luck to you.

Hummer Guy

Bump

Anyone got pictures of ramps they built? I'm looking to make a ramp that I can roll a dolly on, I have a winch in the bed so I can even winch the dolly on the ramp as well. At the exact most, I'll have 800-1000Ibs on them. My plan is to go with some treated wooden ramps at 10 feet long.

Third From Texas

Bump

Anyone got pictures of ramps they built? I'm looking to make a ramp that I can roll a dolly on, I have a winch in the bed so I can even winch the dolly on the ramp as well. At the exact most, I'll have 800-1000Ibs on them. My plan is to go with some treated wooden ramps at 10 feet long.

@chucky had some nice ramps until he chopped them up to make stairs

;p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks