• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bella reborn, aka XM109A9

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, now that the GA rally is over, and I have a wrecker that at least will pick stuff up, I am going to start on my m109 build.

My M109A3 is a 1967 model, that was either gas or LDT-427 non-turbo powered when she rolled off the assembly line. Many years of faithful service later, her engine leaked all over, the transfer wouldn't stay in high, the transmission was real hard to get into 2nd and the wiring harness was disintergratig and a constant source of problems.

So going in to fix one thing, I might as well do everything else at the same time.

So, today I gathered all the major bits, and have drained the oil from the LDS so I can swap the oil pan around.

Plans for this build kept getting deeper and more involved, to the point it will be a different truck.

On tap are the following upgrades and refurbishing-
LDS engine
Rebuilt transmission
Rebuilt transfercase
true hydro assist steering
A/C
dual fuel tanks
dual brake system
all new wiring
reverse lights controled by putting the transmission in reverse, AND will not come on when in blackout mode
new paint on frame and body
all axle seals, bearings replaced and repacked, including pinion
New u joints in driveshaft
air released parking brake with a manual override if the truck needs to move but won't run or no air(I am always knocking it off when getting out of the truck)
New intake and exhaust systems
LED upgrades with more markers and midpoint turn indicators
receiver hitch with trailer wiring and electric brake controller
many other small things I have come up with but can't think of right now

I have been watching others projects for years. I am finally motivated enough and have most of what I need collectes to do one of my own. Lets see if I can build something cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will tell it when the deal is signed and the ink is dry. ;-)

So i got the oil pain off and flipped, along with the oil pickup tubes. The bellhousing is off but I relized I should go ahead and change the rear main seal so one is on order. I also got the secondary and final filter off, going with spin on. I also deleted the flame heater.

More to come, a LOT more. Stay tuned.

I figure posting about it will help light a fire to get it done in a timely manner as well.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The goats are colorblind, oh wait, yeah sure they can be CO next year!

Gimpy, thanks for the insightful tip. I will limit myself to only building something normal and not cool. Jackwagon... lol

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I expect the rest of the truck to look as nice as that NOS transfer case.

:)

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I looked at your list, I thought you said it was going to have quite a few mods, looks like an hour or two of work.....Obviously an energetic project, good luck and let me know if you need anything I might have (if I can find it between where everything is packed!)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20141014_151922.jpg20141014_151937.jpgOk so I got a few things done today. I hate posting from my phone but I don't have internet at home and I can't log in at work. Stupid gov firewall...

Anyway, just a warning that I don't do things in a linear pattern. The oh shinny! Way is my way. I want to do something everyday to move the project forward, even if it means little stuff totally unrelated to what I was woking on yesterday. Bear with me.

Today I brought my drill press into work and during my breaks I got a couple of brackets made for the backup lights. These are take off mrap lights several dealers are selling. Very nice light, metal housing and thick lense. I will put one on tonight and wire it up to see how it does as long as there is a break in the rain.

I also gutted and modified two old style metal buckets so I could mount my LED front marker/turn lights.

I took several pieces off the engine. I took them apart today and will clean them up tomorrow and paint them. Any recommendations for engine primer?

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, when I got home it wasn't raining so I bolted it up. I ment to bolt the new bracket to the back of the stock bracket, but I wasn't paying attention (wife and MIL wanted to go out to dinner and rushed me) it is an easy fix though.

I think it looks good. I need to take the tail lights off, repaint them and clean the overspray off the lenses.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks