• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bella reborn, aka XM109A9

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so, I got a bit done today. Took the intake and exhaust manifolds off the old LDT. Thes are in better shape than the ones on the LDS. Also I cracked open my supposed to be a rebuilt transmission to find this- guess I will be redoing my old one. It is my fault I had to store it outside for awhile, and while I did have a cover on it water still got in. Mad at myself more than anything.

I got the stock steering box out as well. I found a HF502996 power steering box at a local junkyard, and I have an 800 series steering column.

I also got the front light brackets blasted and primed yesterday.

Tomorrow I have to go run my loader but will be back at it in the afternoon.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok got the intake and exhaust off of the lds. Pulled the injectors. They are the old one hole. Pulled one from the old ldt, they are the two hole type. Will get them pop tested next week.

I forgot I would need the special head wrench or I would have asked to borrow one at the rally. Anyone have one they can mail me and I will mail back, postage paid by me both ways of course. I will heck with the local club but I don't remember ever seeing one there.

Heads will be pulled and checked and new style gaskets put on.

This lds was an ldt and was rebuilt into an lds. It ran great with plenty of power so no reason it won't hold up.

I did screw up twice when I pulled the valve rods on #1 the lifters came with them then dropped off, so I will have to fish them out of the engine and put them back.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the whip cracking...

Anyway, I have been gettin stuff done.

LDSiod has been pulled down and parts are getting cleaned and painted

Had to make a head wrench as no one locally had one. Looks crude but it works well!

Brackets mounted on new transfer case. Will install it all when ready as I want to have access till the end for the dual brakes and wiring harness. Otherwise it is ready to drop in.

Getting my injectors pop tested tomorrow. Flywheel is done and the rear main seal came in so that will be done this week.

Got a transmission gasket set- going to rebuild my old one.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, back from the dead! I had some free time this week, so I got the new transfer case back in. Putting a new master cylinder in shortly, then hopefully will have the cab back on tonight. I also got all the front brake lines changed out.

I will have to do some welding on the cross member at the support for the transfer shift lever. It is cracked from the mounting hole to the edge. I think I will add a small piece of bar stock to make it a bit stonger.

Finally some progress!

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Master cylinder reinstalled. I really wanted to go with a split system but lack of time and money has pushed that mod till another time.Installed the peashooter reverse light switch to the transmission today. I hope to have it mounted back to the engine this weekend.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep for some reason this engine (non thick deck) got rebuilt into a LDS. It has all the LDS goodies inside. I will use the lower number thanks for the reminder. I am hoping it will hold up just fine. It did before in the 5 ton.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow it has been awhile!

I made a mad dash that year and got the truck put back together and made it 50 miles down the road towards the GA rally before blowing my front headgasket. EMD567 came with his m814 and got the whole train to the rally. We changed the head gasket there and it has been fine since.

I did a lot of mods while putting her together that I never documented, so I will go back through them and post them here.

Currently putting on the dual tank hoping to get it done pre rally, because then I can get there and back without carrying a drum of Ferrojuice (tm)