• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best place to get torque rod ends

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i put 11.00s on my truck yesterday and they rub in the back when i turn cause my suspension torque rod ends are hammered and the rears walk side to side on turns. where is the best place to get these ends?? im lookin for a decent price as well as a quality peice. i dont wanna get some that are 50 year old N.O.S. if i can help it. i dont wanna press them in again for a long time. i would even be up for complete rods if i got them for the right price

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You better also check the condition of your tandem axle spring seat bearings. If the axles move that much side to side those are worn out and need to be replaced!(cup #3920, cone #392).

G.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
well i checked my pivot today, its deffinetley bad. i only checked one side but both are getting new bearings. easy to check with just a floor jack, i just lifted it by the rod ends at the pivot until the spring came off the spring pads. there is about a half inch of play in it. yikes. everyone should check this since its easy to do.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone notice there are 2 torque arms? a round one and an "I" beam shaped one?

chevycrew

MUDLORD said:
chevycrew said:
I have some complete rods, used, off of a 1982 model truck. Ill look closely at the condition if anyone is interested.
i may be interested, if they check out figure out some shipping to 08015 and let me know

I have 4. They seem intact, some surface weathering, I beam style, with nuts and washers.

Ill get shipping figured out tomorrow, and some pics.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
chevycrew said:
MUDLORD said:
chevycrew said:
I have some complete rods, used, off of a 1982 model truck. Ill look closely at the condition if anyone is interested.
i may be interested, if they check out figure out some shipping to 08015 and let me know

I have 4. They seem intact, some surface weathering, I beam style, with nuts and washers.

Ill get shipping figured out tomorrow, and some pics.
how does the rubber look??

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MUDLORD said:
well i checked my pivot today, its deffinetley bad. i only checked one side but both are getting new bearings.....
Very often I've found this situation. It sure is a weak link.... :? but if better maintained...?

This is what I do to be able to force fresh grease trough both bearings and flush out old stuff + moisture on the opposite side, past the seal and dust shield.
It sure helps to keep dirt and water out and bearings seem to last a little longer.

Just my 2cents

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I definitely feel the original design of the torque rods is a compromise….. I am not thrilled about it. Here in the South, rubber dryrots incredibly quickly (I have seen 2 year old control arm bushings that are completely useless due to the rot).

In another thread (pretty recently) there were some alternatives discussed (Heim joints I think). I definitely think that would be a move in the right direction.

The high cost of replacement inserts and torque rods is surely going to go up as these vehicles become obsolete and the gummint is no longer buying supplies for them. Eventually, I suspect we will be forced to make do with modified torque arms due to short supply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks