• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best source for 700R4?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys (and gals), I need to ask for opinions and help again. I have all parts required to make the 700R4 swap, but now I simply cannot find a transmission shop I can get comfortable with. So, I am seriously considering doing the work myself. But here's the rub - I have never swapped a transmission before. I have always done my own mechanic work, and have a great warm shop and a complete set of tools. I don't have a lift, so if I tackle this endeavor I will be riding my creeper throughout the whole process. I have no problem with disassembly and removal of the existing components, but it's the correct installation and start-up of the 700R4 which is causing some consternation in my gut. Because the 700R4 swap-process is not covered in any TM, I must seek out and request the advice of others who have performed this task.

Based on what I have learned so far, everything should bolt up with no problem. I ordered the 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives with the heavy duty diesel torque converter and Advance Adapters 32-spline output shaft to properly mate with my NP208 transfer case. Bowtie included the brake light unlock switch and I found a NOS flex plate on Fleabay. Also found an OEM aluminum flywheel cover, which I media-blasted to as-new condition, and bought a shiny stainless firewall-mount flexible dipstick. My ultra-rare TV bracket has been media-blasted and painted. So I am ready to disconnect the batteries, drain the fluids, and begin disassembly, but I'm gonna need help and guidance to get everything back together correctly.

So with a truck-load of humility, I am asking for advice.

m715

Take your time, mark all wires and note where they go. Take a video or pics as you go,will will want them later anyway. Rent or buy a trans jack, make a clean place to work. Use good jack stands, and a few bright drop lights. Get some speedy dry for oil spills,and shop rags.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Did you still want the "700R4s For Dummies" ?
Are you installing a 4L60E/700R4 altered + adapted to your diesel engine?
I did read the 22 posts twice- changed only one auto transmission 45 years ago.
You have my attention.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mechanical aspect is straight forward. The TV cable adjustment and converter lockup are the critical "must think" part of the install. Get with it and post up if you stumble, we will try to steer you straight.

Chaski

Ask your builder how they want the TV cable adjusted. If they used a transgo shift kit you have to follow the instructions that came with the kit. With the transgo kit you run the TV cable looser than you do with any other setup.

Other than that it is pretty much a remove and replace project. Should only need to fool with cooler lines, tv cable and lockup.

Have you installed an automatic transmission before?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you installed an automatic transmission before?[/QUOTE]

No. Full of confidence, but empty of experience in this regard.

Chaski

https://youtu.be/lrqANOa_k3w

That link will take you to a video showing the most lengthy explanation ever of checking endplay and ensuring your converter is fully seated before mating the transmission with the engine.

The guy beats it to death, but he does show a sound method of checking endplay with measurements to ensure you have everything correct before you wrestle the transmission into place. It is a good idea to do this, because it will give you the confidence that it is 110% right.

Only thing I did not notice in the video is that it is a good idea to pour a quart or two of transmission fluid in the converter before you slide it onto the transmission.

llong66

Sharecropper, I did not watch the above video, but I learned the hard way, when you put the converter in, DO NOT, force it, or put it in to hard, you will shatter the pump and when you start it up the first time, the pieces will go all through the tranny, ruining it!! Again, I learned this the hard way!

Nessmuk

I've got one. Needs clutches etc as the TV cable failed. It is a level three, heavy duty everything you can think of, plus torque converter, heavy duty, flywheel. Comes with the TV cable bracket and a spare bracket, plus a new cable. I am in NY, near Bennington VT.

glaser06

Following. I'm in the same boat, after owning my 1028A1 for 5+ years I've made enough South/West Texas to Atlanta, GA trips that I'm ready for 60 mph,lol.

I think I'm currently doing number 10.....not counting all the New Orleans to Atlanta trips I did when I worked there. (20+)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, it seems like most of you want to retain the NP208 rather than going with a 205 or Atlas 'case. Other than cost, is there a good reason to keep the 208 that I have missed?

glaser06

Yeah right!

Here are a couple photos of the Bowtie 700R4 after I got it uncrated. The second photo shows the Advance Adapters 32-spline output shaft to properly mate with my NP208.
Dammit.....I forgot you have a 208. 1028A1, I'd need a different adapter anyways. I'm going to call today for pricing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks