• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Tractor Trailer Combo for Tank

Needle

Hi guys....relative newbie to SS here.

I am currently researching the possible "acquisition" of a tractor/trailer combo for hauling a Sherman tank.

I can drive the Sherman on the highway (it is registered in Texas), but at less than 1 mile to the gallon diesel, it gets real expensive, real quick, and the tracks would only last about 750 to 1000 miles on concrete (very, very expensive replacement!) Also, top speed is only 26 mph in 5th, so you dont get anywhere very quickly, and a 66 foot turning circle makes in a PITA, and a real workout, when pulling in to the gas station to fill up!

Main reason.....fed up paying someone else $$$$ to haul it around.

Anyone have suggestions.......period correct would probably be more trouble than its worth, but I would still like to have OD if possible. Tank (as seen in my avatar) weighs in at about 77,000 lbs, and can currently load on a low-boy without width issues.

By the way....great site. The info in this site has already helped me resolve problems on a deuce, M818 and M816.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Needle

Crash_AF

Welcome to the site...
If you're sick and have the cash to build it... Soni's monster M920 would be an epic choice... :)
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/43786-my-own-idea-m920a1.html

If you didn't want the extra front drive axle, you could get a M915 and modify it.

Then paint a lowboy to match and you're good to go. Remember that you will need to research all your local state laws regarding GCWR and CDL issues along with insurance issues on a semi.

Make sure you get us lots of pics of whatever route you decide to go... we love pics.

Later,
Joe

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In current surplus, the M920 tractor with M870 trailer is the way to go. Plan on spending about $6000 for each in usable condition from GL. Insurance will run you about $200/month, and your permit about $30 each time you roll. I'm moving lighter armor (Stewart) so I can get by with a M915 with M172 trailer. The older trucks such as the M123 with the M15 trailers are too slow (40 mph), and the Oshkosh M911 HET with 747 trailer are too large.

Chevytruck

You might need Overweight Permits if you were to trailer that thing. (Might not apply to Texas, but its Federal DOT specs)

If short distance a Ten ton tractor M911 with M747 (over-width)

If you want a better speedy tractor without dealing with Overwidth try an M915/916 an equivalent trailer to haul it. (can't seem to find trailer info)

You could try an M818 but that might be pretty slow when it comes to any type of incline.

hope that helps!

:edit: i need to be faster when posting!

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
At 77,000 you are going to be overweight no mater what you pull it with.
Gross vehicle weight in most states with a standard 5 axle tractor trailer is 80,000 and you still have to be legal per axle (12K steering, 34k on tandems and 34k on trailer axles).
Don't even think about trying to pull it with an M818.....you will not have the pulling capacity, weight capacity or brakes to do it with.
A M915 with a stepdeck lowboy would be a good option but you will have to permit it everytime you pull it.
You will need a CDL, medical card, and commercial insurance and DOT number.
I paid 1200 bucks a year for my M915 insurance and that was with non-comercial farm plates.
Don't forget licence plates too.....I paid 500 or so a year for the farm plates...if you are going out of state you will have to have a "Bingo Card" with a stamp for each state you want to operate in.
When you factor all that in you may be better off the pay to have it moved if you are only doing it a few times per year.
That is why I just sold my M915.....I loved her but she was eating my lunch.
Just my 2cents for what they are worth.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is impossible to haul a 77,000lb tank and be legal without overweight permits. You're going to be grossing atleast 100,000lbs+ with the lightest truck you can find that will handle that kind of weight.

Like WM said, unless you're moving the tank a bunch it's going to be cheaper to hire it hauled. It is very expensive to keep a tractor-trailer on the road that will haul that kind of weight.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is just a thought but if it your personal tank (God I love this country) you could form a LLC, (maybe as a movie props company) and you would be able to write off a lot of expenses associated with the beast. That would include moving it for "promotional" purposes.
I have operated several businesses that never made any real money but allowed me to write off money associated with my particular hobby at the time.

Crash_AF

Well, if he got a tri-axle trailer and a 920 with the helper axle, that would spread the load over 7 axles, but I'm not sure if this will eliminate the need for overweight permits or not. This would be why I added the disclaimer about GCWR issues :)

People think that it's cheaper to just get their own semi to move their toys, but it really becomes a hassle when the .gov gets involved.

Later,
Joe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM, the only problem with that is you'll have to go full blown commercial. That would include CDL, health card, safety records, drug testing for any and all drivers, USDOT number, log books, and fuel permits for every state you travel in (unless you go with apportioned tags, then you'll have to go by IFTA guidelines).

I pay about $3,000 a year per truck to keep my commercial trucks legal. That's not counting insurance and all the man hours to keep up the mountain of paperwork.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if he got a tri-axle trailer and a 920 with the helper axle, that would spread the load over 7 axles, but I'm not sure if this will eliminate the need for overweight permits or not.
No, it wouldn't eliminate the need for overweight permits. You can't go over 80,000lbs gross no matter how many axles you have. So unless you can find a haul vehicle that weighs less than 13,000lbs (ain't going to happen) you'll be overwieght.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People think that it's cheaper to just get their own semi to move their toys, but it really becomes a hassle when the .gov gets involved.

That is very true. "Full blown commercial" is a must, but in Texas there are a few breaks . . . we have the "former military registration" which costs $10/yr for the truck and $10/yr for the trailer. Registration with TXDOT is $100/yr, and USDOT (required) is free. The DOT physical and drug screen program cost me $150 and is good for 2 years. The Class A license was about $70. The insurance (Progressive) is costing $160/mo for the 1983 M915, that's $750,000.

I know this is a heavy drain on the wallet for hobby use, but for me, using the military tractor trailer rig for hauling armor to shows and parades is a huge kick. We were paying thousands each time to get hauled to shows, and inevitably when it was time to load up and go home Sunday afternoon, the driver was nowhere to be found.

rwbrown72

:ditto:
Its' only money and the Government will gladly take some for their time and effort.... just ask them. The convenience factor is worth a lot in my opinion. You know what "They" say about opinions....

Alredneck

Banned
It pays to be legal, NC got me for overweight without a permit. I was haulling azz trying to get down I95 to FL but they caught me. Random NCHP side of the road weigh in. Got me 13k over it would a been cheaper and save alot more time in the long run just to go get the permit. Now I know!

saddamsnightmare

April 28th, 2010.

I think Wreckerman may have a point about the LLC, but I do believe that there are non military trailers with bogie sets that can have as many as 8 axles under the trailer (like 4 at each end), with the tractor providing pulling, braking and turning power, as I have seen steam locomotives much larger then the tank get moved OTR that way....

Just a though, and possibly not the most informed thought at that....aua

Josh

I thought the max weight one could regester a truck up too was 105,500 before trip permits were required. My uncles dump truck was regestered for 105,500 with a 4axle pup, and we never had a trip permit, or any issues at the scales when we rolled threw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks