• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Tractor Trailer Combo for Tank

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the max weight one could regester a truck up too was 105,500 before trip permits were required. My uncles dump truck was regestered for 105,500 with a 4axle pup, and we never had a trip permit, or any issues at the scales when we rolled threw.
Oregon may be different. All the states I've been in it's 80,000lb max without permits. I do know some states allow you to go over 80,000lbs for natural resources like coal, logs, and limestone on certain routes but that doesn't apply to machinery being moved.

Needle

Jim,

At the moment the tank is limited to local engine running, until I permanently fix the internal radio system (don’t like driving without extra sets of eyes communicating what’s happening around me), re-tension the tracks, and look at a leaking shock absorber.

Finding the time to do the maintenance is the main issue, since the M35 and the DUKW are also wanted for an upcoming event (July 3rd) and I have to finish the troop seat rebuild on the M35 and a brake overhaul, and engine overheating issue on the DUKW. The jeeps are also wanted, but I need to complete an engine service on the M151A2 and finish the fuel system overhaul on the M38A1. So at the moment, in between doing the job that pays my mortgage, servicing a “fleet” of vehicles, and doing some more flying with the Cavanaugh Flight Museum Warbirds, my time is very limited.

However, I seriously want to get together with you, and VVA920, to see what I can do for you guys in the future.

When/where is your next meeting? With your permission I would like to try and attend, so that we can meet, and then possibly start some “event participation” planning for the future.

Julian
PS “Welcome home”.

Preacherboy

In Michigan you wouldn't have as big a problem as GVW is 160,000; you just need the right amount of axles to support all that weight. We have gravel trains here that they load 50 tons of aggregate on.

Needle

Don't have a low-boy yet, or an M920 or M916...............
but do have an M915A1 due to a very good "would be stupid to refuse it" deal.

Actually, the very low price, (less than the cost of 4 new 6TMF batteries and a tank of diesel) was for 2 "operational" M915A1's and two M871A2 trailers, and included delivery.

One M915A1 needs a throttle return spring, and a headlight switch.
The other M915A1 needs a throttle return spring and an exhaust stack.
Both need new batteries, and one needs a couple of tires due to flat spots. Everything else works, and they both run like the preverbial "scolded cat".

Trailers were a bonus, but the air brakes are currently caged, because both trailers are missing the glad hands.

Probably still need to get an M916 or M920 if I want to avoid running an M915A1 around at max GCWR when hauling the tank, but just couldn't miss up a great opportunity.

NDT…probably need to get some more info from you regarding Reg, TXDOT and USDOT, since you have already been down that route. (I’m being lazy and don’t want to re-invent the wheel![thumbzup])

Jim.....looks like a Sherman visit to Denton is getting to be more probable than possible.

Pics to follow, when I take some this weekend.

jimmcld

We just aquired a new building if you need a place to park the Sherman. It would sure look good sitting out front! We also have an offer, from one of the contractors here in town, to haul it. He has a trailer rated at 100,000 lbs. But come up and visit us with or without the Sherman.

Jim
Vietnam Veterans of America
Chapter 920
Denton, Texas

Alex400

What i have seen around washington is semi tractors that are used for hauling yard waste, dirt, rocks, wood, etc with 4 axles on the tractor and 3 on the trailer rated at 105,500. Then they haul oversized tractors and such with them that would easily put them over 80k. I don't know how it works other places but somehow they have got it figured out.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alex, the problem is is that he has to deal with Texas and they have many rules that just about everyone else doesn't have to deal with. The norm in the trucking industry is that the tractor has the combined hauling weight tied to it and the trailer tags are just basic tags. But in Texas you have to get different tags for semi trailers. Because I don't have IRP or IFTA when I drove a truck and trailer through Texas I had to get two permits, one for my tractor and one for my trailer. Every other state I have had to buy permits for only required them for the tractor as it is the power unit. DOT numbers are another issue. If you are not for profit you do not need US DOT numbers. But Texas does not give an exemption for personal use and if you don't have US DOT numbers you are required to get Texas DOT numbers. When it comes to big trucks Texas seems to be one of the worse places to own one if it is a hobby truck.

On another note I also would like to add some additional info in regards to IFTA and IRP that was mentioned in a seperate post. IFTA and IRP are not needed if the primary use of the truck and trailer will be in state. IRP and IFTA only apply when driving out of your state of registration. If the OP will only be going out of state once or twice a year then permits might be cheaper then getting IFTA and IRP. Plus you won't need to keep all fuel receipts and log all your mileage for filing the quarterly IFTA tax forms. So IFTA and IRP will depend on how often the truck will be driven out of state.

Ruppster

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, running M915/M916/M920/M818's legally in Texas: (hobby use only)
1. Get insurance. Tell your agent you have a truck-tractor that you wish to use on your ranch for hauling your personal equipment. I was able to get Progessive Commercial. The agent will do a "filing" with TXDMV. Don't tell them you have a military truck.
2. Register your truck and trailer as "Former Military" with 80,000 GVW
3. Get your USDOT number from the FMCSA website
4. Get your TXDOT number from TxDMV website. This will cost you $100/year
5. Get your Class A DL or CDL
6. Get your DOT physical and drug screen
7. Create a log book from forms you can download from the FMCSA website

Run on down the road . . . No sweat when passing the black and whites . . .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, If you're registered as "former military vehicle" can you do hauling with it? I know some states have restrictions on sepecialty plates.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, If you're registered as "former military vehicle" can you do hauling with it? I know some states have restrictions on sepecialty plates.
The rules for Texas former military are specific: "The vehicle may only be used for parades, club activities, exhibitions, and other functions of public interest and not for regular transportation".

I never use my military trucks "for hire" or in a commercial enterprise. This would be asking for a huge ticket. Clearly, regular registration based on weight along with Commercial Vehicle inspection would be required for commercial use.

There is no restriction on carrying cargo as long as the rules are followed.

rwbrown72

This is just a thought but if it your personal tank (God I love this country) you could form a LLC, (maybe as a movie props company) and you would be able to write off a lot of expenses associated with the beast. That would include moving it for "promotional" purposes.
I have operated several businesses that never made any real money but allowed me to write off money associated with my particular hobby at the time.
Amen! Only in the USA could a private person own a tank.... God love ya for doing it!

Fixlinc

There are 915A1 haul trucks in the truck paper for $6000 and up. Salvage ones for less of course. Municipalities and counties can get them federal surplus now for about $5000 to $8500 so most want to resell them for $9 to $10K but they have to keep them for 18 months first. We just bought a M915A1 for $5K with 260 miles since last rebuild it's a nice truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks