• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bidders Beware: GL is draining all fluids on trucks

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm the "victim" in this one. the truck had drain pans sitting under it. Worst of all all the drain plugs that were removed were not replaced or stored in the truck. They are missing!

mckeeranger

I've run into this on smaller items screened at DRMO. Generators and gas powered pumps with no oil, and our M107s had no brake fluid.

"They" also always suck the freon out of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was not indicated in the sell that all fluids drained. found paper work in the glove box where is was road tested in may and signed off on. Everthing is new under the hood, new tires also. Just no fluids. the difs and transfer case are full however, Engine, tranny, and power steering all empty. Good brake pedal. Wish me luck. I need a few drain plugs. Please help.

The batteries are all gone also!

Last edited:

jeep-Jeep

I was told by gl that they are suposed to drain and triple wash to remove all fluids .
was not told if they use solvent or water and that could complicate things further.

frodobaggins

These are base policies. Not everywhere. And I'm sure "some" of them are 'over-interpreted',
but I also imagine some are actually very strict.

Senarmontite

If its any help Barstow, CA does it also, which im presuming all other bases are too from what im hearing. I bought my M36A2 last september and called the site manager to see if i could have someone could check/fill all fluids before i got down there cause im up in WA. But he said no because if theres as much as a small leak on the ground its considered hazardous waste, which a few of you have mentioned already. Anyway my truck had the
fuel, radiator, tranny, oil, and gear oil all drained so i had it towed out.

roscoe

Was not indicated in the sell that all fluids drained. found paper work in the glove box where is was road tested in may and signed off on. Everthing is new under the hood, new tires also. Just no fluids. the difs and transfer case are full however, Engine, tranny, and power steering all empty. Good brake pedal. Wish me luck. I need a few drain plugs. Please help.

The batteries are all gone also!
Just take them off adjoining truck like others seem to do.:roll:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its any help Barstow, CA does it also, which im presuming all other bases are too from what im hearing. I bought my M36A2 last september and called the site manager to see if i could have someone could check/fill all fluids before i got down there cause im up in WA. But he said no because if theres as much as a small leak on the ground its considered hazardous waste, which a few of you have mentioned already. Anyway my truck had the
fuel, radiator, tranny, oil, and gear oil all drained so i had it towed out.
I drove my truck off of Barstow in April with the fluids FULL. Added a few ounces of DOT5 just for the heck of it. Every truck I have ever previewed at Barstow had fluids in them. Every time I go there I see trucks driven off and trucks driven on to trailers.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was in, we turned in alot of stuff to DRMO.. The fuel tanks were supposed to be drained, and triple rinsed of all residual fluids, and labeled as such.. Well, we did alot of draining and labeling.. Just not any of the triple rinsing... They never complained as long as it was labeled as triple rinsed. :)

Senarmontite

I drove my truck off of Barstow in April with the fluids FULL. Added a few ounces of DOT5 just for the heck of it. Every truck I have ever previewed at Barstow had fluids in them. Every time I go there I see trucks driven off and trucks driven on to trailers.
I guess i chose the unlucky one, i dont know...
But she drove like a champ from Barstow to washington:)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess i chose the unlucky one, i dont know...
But she drove like a champ from Barstow to washington:)
I think it depends a lot on the unit turning them in. Same in the Navy - did things one way on the Connie and another on the Nimitz - even dealing with the same gear.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
EVERY time I go pick up an unknown truck, even if I plan on towbarring it, I take a full 5 gallon pail of GL1 and a pump. You guys gotta' be prepared-you don't know what you are gonna' find.

Clintogf and I picked up a truck at Redstone and PCTrans walked over and introduced himself and warned us that he had found a lot of middle axles here that were low (I was in the process of checking the entire truck over) and sure enough, he was right.

When you go on a recovery, you have to take oil, GL1, wheel bearing grease, the correct coolant, 10-15 gallons of water, etc.

Because honestly, you have no idea what you are going to encounter when you show up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you mean, buying 40 year old Surplus MVs,site unseen(5 crappy pictures that show few details), is not the same as buying from a used car dealer?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you mean, buying 40 year old Surplus MVs,site unseen(5 crappy pictures that show few details), is not the same as buying from a used car dealer?

It's not-it's probably safer rofl

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if you had 8 crappy pics and an expert to look at them?

rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks