• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

big 6x6 truck questions

tatra813

I like the m911 but Iheard its too wide to drive without permits and it tops out at 45mph.

Im looking for a 6x6 that can do highway speeds and pull a lowboy with my excavation equipment 50 to 70klbs.
I love military stuff but need something with power and some top speed. Any suggestions

Ive seen Kenworth makes some big 6x6 trucks but they are non military and very hard to find used. I see heavy haul companys use them and house movers. Any leads on used ones would be great. Its like a tandem dually semi but bigger tires and 6x6.

Thanks in advance. Ive had dueces and 5 ton trucks but they are too powerless for what I want and lack top speeds in comparison to a standard semi i.e. freightliner etc.

Nonotagain

M916 and M920 would fit your bill.

M916 is a 6x6 while the M920 is an 8x6.

Both used Cummins NTC400 engines and most had Cat 7155 16 speed automatic transmissions.

tatra813

Ill do some research on them,.........thanks

Is it considered like a 10 ton ? What kind of weight can it tow. What is a reasonable highway speed it can run?

Yarb

There are alot of used 6x6 trucks for sale in South Dakota. When I return I will try to get the name of the weekly journal/mag that has them in it. You could then search for them online hopefully.

tatra813

Thanks. Will 16x20s fit this truck? it looks kind of wimpy compared to the average military vehicle tire wise. I know its mainly meant for street but have you seen any with aggressive tires?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military stuff is just that. To use it in the civilian applications is a good idea, but it tends not to conform to modern civilian standards. For instance, its generally not fast, not powerful, and is usually very heavy. The heavy part keeps the highway payload to a minimum.

Burgerboy13

The military stuff is just that. To use it in the civilian applications is a good idea, but it tends not to conform to modern civilian standards. For instance, its generally not fast, not powerful, and is usually very heavy. The heavy part keeps the highway payload to a minimum.
But given their low cost it wouldn't take much more money to do a engine and trans swap. Something like a M920 in the civilian would cost well over 80-90K. So lets say you buy one off of GL for 5K. You could probably make it conform to the civilian standards for 15-25K. In the end you could have a very formidable truck for about 30k when it is all said and done.

tatra813

Look at that M817 pulling out that truck>>>>

Ok that on has the meaty tires I like to see on a military truck. Are those duals on the back or singles.

can you convert the duals to singles.

If you could get a 916 or 920 convert to single 16 20s fairly easily Ill buy one for sure!!

Last edited: