• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big dude Fit in a m35?

garp

Well, I am 6'1" and 380lbs. I drive the M37 with a little suck-it-in. Drove the M109m back 650 miles from Ft Riley KS, had a lot of room with a spring seat but the M35a2 is tight.

Pawnshop

My problem at 6'-03" #300 is not getting gut room so much as getting my size 13 boots on the pedals without catching my toes on them. My hips and knees just don't bend like a kids do and I am afraid I will have a wreck while tangled up. My M35 has the tool box seat and I "fixed" it by removing the metal seat frame and putting a piece of plywood on top of the box with the bottom seat cushon on the plywood, that gave me about 6" extra hip room and made my posture more straight up. My M109 has a spring seat and I have not yet looked into mods for it. I will try to get photos and measurements posted shortly.

dburt

I was feeling bad about being 5-10 and 180lbs and having the steering wheel almost hit me in the gut. I think Atankersdad is right, they were made for skinny 18 year olds. I have seen the seatback out of a Humvee installed and it gave more back room, plus a little side support. But the bigger steering wheel is a must for me with no power steering, so I have been entertaining thoughts of a 5-ton M818 tractor with a deuce bed on the back. Then I would have my shorter wheelbase rig for getting around out in the desert in SW Idaho, and the mountains of NE Oregon. Power steering also! Now- to find an M818 with a winch on the front, at a right price, nearby. Or- even an M52, the older tractor with the multi-fuel engine, so I can burn WMO or whatever when diesel goes back up or gets hard to find someday. Too bad the miltary minded designers did not take into account us old geezers that need some creature comforts, who would buy these truck surplus.

joec

Boy i thought i was a one of a few with gut issues but I'm glad im not alone!;-)
would a humvee have more room than a m35 then? what mv would be better for a
big guy?

6' 3" 360LB I have a spring seat in the M35A2 and the M543A2. And it touches the gut some. But not bad...!

I think the M35 IS WAY COOLER AND MORE FUN THEN THE HUMVEE!!!!!

jmh4x4

my father'n'law and his farmer buddy had similar troubles with their 5 ton, they solved it by slicing the cab down the middle (more towards the back, behind the door), did a little sheet metal work :idea: and they now have a 5 ton 'extenda'-cab. For an every day farm truck it works, can hardly tell what they did. While they were at it, they modified the bed a bit to make it work on the shortened frame rails, added hydraulics i think.

prebanbilly

I thought it was all the way back but i was just in aw to sit in one:-D
sorry guys im a nubie to mv's and not in the military. but i have family that were.
i do own 2 jeeps ,a 91 jeep yj and a 66 cj5 that is gonna be a body off resto. i did have a hell of a time trying to get into my cj5 ! my uncle has a old m606which is a cj3b i think and i couldn't get in that one too! drivers side any way. but 91 yj and my 70 bug have room.

notso

I just got a '35A2 with a box seat and I am having a bit of trouble with having room.

Im 6' 8" and 360lbs. The leg room is the main problem. That and getting my size 14 feet onto the pedals.

But I can do it!

5tonpuller

I know this might p*ss some off but I to am a fat man. 5'11" 325lbs.
Bought the truck and said to thine self. ( you are a fat *ss ) Since that day 6 years
ago I have lost 100 lbs. and feel better. Still kinda got the belly wheel thing going on, but the truck does steer better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks