• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Dumb Trailer ...more pics

mangus580

I would run the driveshaft to pillow block like you say, and have a tractor PTO output shaft right there, what way, you can connect with the same thing from the trailer, as if hooking a tractor implement up :-D quick and easy!

1ton

The easy way to do this would be to do as Mangus said; run a tractor PTO connection. If you just disconnected the PTO shaft from the truck the PTO shaft would still be turning along with the rest of the trailer drivetrain. If you cared your could take care of that problem with 4 lock-outs; in truth it's not that simple search it if you care. Could you take a deuce x-case and make the front output into the input and the input into an output? It would work right, since it would only run in 1:1? If i am right that it would work then couldn't you take an air shift x-case and just add a switch on the dash and get 10X10 on demand? But its is 2am and Ive been building fence.
Now all you need is some XMLs and you will have a rig to rival The M1075. :shock:

It's too bad that the "PTO" speed would be relative to the ground speed; spicer's truck would make a helluva tractor :twisted:

mangus580

oooh... you made me think of a good point. In order for this to work properly, he will need to match the tires on the truck and trailer. Which is something I dont think he planned to do before.....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I found this site because I wanted a little duece, just a little army truck to play with.....but noooooo. :shock: Now I have to have a big trailer to go with it, a big powered trailer to haul other military stuff back from scrounging forays. You people are demented, devious, conniving, inventive, optimistic, maniacal and flat out nuts. You are drawing me into your web.......arrrrgggghhhhhhh. Guess I'll start looking for a divorce lawyer. aua

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Divorce lawyer? Probably be cheaper to keep her and buy earplugs or better yet, a VIC-1 intercom to block out her audible spewing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I did have the foresight to equip my new shop with plumbing and a 12x24 heated and cooled "office" that can double as quarters when I am in the doghouse. :D
I never understood why we needed to replace 4 year old carpet with hardwood flooring (2 grand) but 500 bucks for a classic International pickup truck was a waste of money. Women!!! :roll:

rmgill

I think powering the trailer will be far more trouble than it's worth. Landrover made a version of the 101" FC vehicles with a powered trailer that didn't work well. It was VERY good at rolling the Landrover over. You're going to have several issues with the angle's you can allow it to pivot too, shaft extension distance,

See here for some more info on the LR 101 Powered trailer.
http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/LandRover/FC101/powered.trailer.html
http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/FC/FAQ.FC.powertrailer.html

jasonjc

The mrain corp has a hemmet typ truck that is cab front 2 steer axles and then the trailer rear 2 axles. anyone know what I'm talking about???
as far as this site casuing promblems I JUST WHATED 1 TRUCK AND NOW LOOK AT MY SIG AND IT IS ABOUT TO GROWS SOME MORE SOON.
HELP!!!! I CAN'T STOP!!!!!
lucky for me the power company just came and cleaded the right of way by about 40-50 feet now I have more parking room. :p

hot rod deuce

Hey if you need any more ideas, how about taking a cheap dana 44 front or the like, cut the tube off on one side, on the other remove the axle tube from the "C" via the spot or ring of weld in the lathe. THEN just stick the pipe in the next. Just remove the center section more or less and rotate to look like a u joint in your tool box. . Remove one of the spindles and bolt it right on one the trailer. THEN keep the hub/spindle/wheel bearing on the other end. Use the lug nuts to bolt it to a plate with the 8 on 6 1/2 pattern. NOW you have one that will pivot left,right,up,down AND spin. Just like the unimog one but better.

hmm could we incorparate the Diff and then replace it with an ARB so it could be like a power divider on a semi???

MUUHAHAHA

ojsdna744

The idea is so the trailer can sort of "pull-it's-own weight" when in a slippery situation. Of course, in this case, it's more of a "because I can" sort of thing. rofl

Otter

Hello,
Nice trailer! I built a trailer using a M-200 2.5 generator trailer(minus the generator) and a surplus 12' duece bed. I made an adapter from 8" channel steel and some 1/4" plate. The adapter was bolted to the trailer chassis and the bed was mounted to the adapter using the original bed/frame mounts.
Pulls nicely behind the M109A3 shop van, and uses the service brake system air from the truck.

Attachments

Otter

Katch1 said:
I didn't know cr's weighed that much otter!
Its the mighty '85 CR500, known for its evil disposition, similar to a rhino, it is best to not crowd it too close! The trailer is used for expedition type riding trips usually lasting 6-7 days at a time. A CR500 can burn 5 gals a day when hillclimbing, add firewood and things to shoot at/burn, space becomes short.
otter