• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Rock Moving thru SoCal

kochevnik

I was thinking that sure looked kinda small for 640 tons, but if you do the math looks like 20' x 30' x 10' to me (altho I'm sure that's off a lot) that's 6000 cubic and granite weighs about 166 pounds per cubic foot so that's about 1 million pounds = close enough.

Still looks small to me LOL

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did they pick this thing up with?
I would guess the thing that is carrying it.
I'm guessing that the same rig that has already moved it around at the quarry will be brought in to hoist it onto it's new perch atop that structure with the columns shown earlier in this thread.

Let's see....

640 Tons x 2000 lbs/Ton = 1,280,000 Lbs.

Whatever lifts it is going to need some pretty BIG STONES of its own !!!
IMHO

Kinda like the first 4 seconds of this little video clip.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPf3aaZmUw[/media]

:grd:

SMOKEWAGON66

As I watched the video, I think the "OVERSIZED LOAD" sign on a couple of the trucks adds a nice touch. As if the boulder itself is not enough of a warning already
...You forget..this thing is IN California...you would be suprised what people in Cali hit when driving. Best one I saw was a police cruiser in the middle of the road parked with ALL lights flashing and the driver was outside in a green reflector vest waving a light stick type flashlight, and someone still crashed into it at highway speed...He said he didnt see it. rofl So all in all Im suprised they dont have like 3 or 4 CHiPers up front running abreast and 3 or 4 in the back as well, with all the disco lights and noise toys going...

quickfarms

The best one was when a guy in a stolen car ran the light by my house and t-boned a sheriff's suv. The deputy kicked out the windshield and chased the guy down. Let's just say the deputy was upset.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking that sure looked kinda small for 640 tons, but if you do the math looks like 20' x 30' x 10' to me (altho I'm sure that's off a lot) that's 6000 cubic and granite weighs about 166 pounds per cubic foot so that's about 1 million pounds = close enough.

Still looks small to me LOL

I believe the BFR weighs in at 340 tons.

mcmullag

berry interesting......

outlaw86er
thanks for posting the pics of the KW lead truck.
I imagine that that rig has huge planetary gear sets in the hubs so that the preceding drive train components are not so stressed. I wonder if all three axles are driven.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
outlaw86er
thanks for posting the pics of the KW lead truck.
I imagine that that rig has huge planetary gear sets in the hubs so that the preceding drive train components are not so stressed. I wonder if all three axles are driven.
I would say judging by the hubs on that truck it certainly does look like a 6X6.

rlwm211

the bigger the better

Pacific trucks are perhaps ancestors of the KENWORTH C500.

They built a model P-12-W3 with the following specs and loads it was designed for:

There was a fleet of P-12-W3 trucks to a coal mine in Soda Springs, Idaho. These trucks had Detroit Diesel 16V71T engine 615hp and were pulling three bottom dump trailers with a total weight of 250 tons.

I know they use this model to move huge loads. The Pacific Truck Company has been through several parent companies and their patterns, spare parts and license to build under the Pacific name is now in the hands of Coast Power Train In Vancouver Canada

This is definitely a BIG TRUCK

Attachments

Last edited:

Amram

For some reason that news cast reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy". Are they really that excited over a stupid rock. Here is an idea take a trip outside your crime infested, dirty poop hole of a city and see all kinds of big rocks. This type of stuff really worries me about the future of the human race.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks