• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big toys or money makers?

DO you make money with your OD Iron?

• I use mine everyday.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Part TIme.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Never.

Votes: 48 52.7%
  • Cash only and don't tell the tax man!

Votes: 22 24.2%

• Total voters

rwbrown72

Do any of you make money with you MV's? I know the answer is yes, but I wonder if you could tell us how you use them. I'm not looking for any private information, but tell us how you put these old warriors to work in their new life. Do you use them everyday, part time, never or cash only and don't tell the tax man! Please add pictures as well.

Barneyszoo

I drive mine to work every day. Last week was funny I was driving in a suit and tye. And I haul stuff to the dump on weekends. Haven't used it to make any money, just have fun.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My uncle borrowed my truck and made almost $2,000 hauling dirt. I didn't get any money out of it though because he's my uncle and I owed him a favor. Note- If you install a dump on your truck everybody will want to borrow it.

Other than that, I've used it to haul scrap to the scrap yard but that's about it as far as paying jobs go.

BLK HMMWV

Make money!!!!!!!!! with a MV??? is that possible??
Maybe I'm doing something wrong .!!!

I really haven't made I dime with it yet.
I have been asked to bring it out to some events a few times and it was used in a few parades for some fund raisers but all the money went to the cause.
I do have a few pictures of it at the playboy mansion (for a stars and stripes event to help out some wounded vets) with some rather shall we say interesting equiptment on and around it. (That I didn't have to pay for, yet :). That was worth every penny of my time.

BH

Andy1234

My vehicles cost me money. 2cents

I worked hard for it and I enjoy spending every cent (ever see a u-haul behind a hearse? You can't take it with you, so enjoy it. Spend it, or give it away to a good charity).

The enjoyment that I get from driving them, and the thrill of the recovery are more then worth the expense.

Most people blow their money on Chinese junk from wally world. I don't.

Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: AMX

Preacherboy

There are some guys on here who have rented MV to films and have made good money, also I'm sure some of the farmers who are using m915,916, and 920's will chime in because they are making money with their trucks.

mckeeranger

Our XM817 is used almost weekly, and the M35A2 is used almost daily. We haul dirt, gravel, tents, cots, mulch, lumber, people (parades) garbage, junk, and just drive them around for the heck of it.

I don't know that they exactly make money, because we could do a lot of the same thing with pickups, but they save a bunch of time and money.

And there is the cool factor, that's worth something. :cool:

I should also add: The M35 gets almost 10 MPG, our 1999 Dodge (retired forest service truck) only gets about 11 MPG. Since the deuce will burn our waste oil, and about everything else, It's actually about as cheap to drive. It also keeps us from having to store bulk waste oil. That's one less problem to deal with on our EPA Ground Water Protection Plan.

Last edited:

roscoe

I've used mine to haul dirt, mulch, plants, trees and equipment. I also took my hydroseeder off its trailer and put it in the back of one (not permanently). Makes a great hydroseeding truck. Now I just want someone that needs some hydroseeding done off road to give me an excuse to engage the front wheels.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've made a few movies, been paid everything from one case of cokes on one movie (indie) to more than I had in all my trucks on another (Paramount has deep pockets).

Cheers

Monty

My vehicles cost me money. 2cents

I worked hard for it and I enjoy spending every cent (ever see a u-haul behind a hearse? You can't take it with you, so enjoy it. Spend it, or give it away to a good charity).

The enjoyment that I get from driving them, and the thrill of the recovery are more then worth the expense.

Most people blow their money on Chinese junk from wally world. I don't.

Andy
AMEN BROTHER

I agree the thrill of getting them is like treasure hunting, you'll never know what someone left you in the truck etc. Plus it's the thrill of planning to get them home and the adventure getting them their.

But on the flip side, i'd like to use my 818 to haul hay and grain trailers out of the feild's this fall. Yes i'd like to do it for cash, or trade for hay or???
Maybe even add a wet kit to it so I could run an end dump trailer.

Time will tell.

bob130ab

I have 2 817s, I cleaned out an old 5 acre pond on my farm 2 years ago, hauled out almost 700 loads. Now with the deeper water its holding up good this summer. Since then I crank them monthly.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks