• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigger engine, and different tranny in deuce?

Wyattearp

Just a little info, M35guy if you want to go with a smaller more cost effective diesel, try the Cummins 5.9 B engine, i know there was someone at one time that put the old 12V Cummins in a deuce, not sure whom it was, somone help me out here.
the 12v engines since they are mechanical are very torquey and you can with relative ease increase Hp from 190 to whatever your heart desires, actually the 12v u can increase Hp more than the new 24V engine(sensored and computerized to death) which is in my dodge... Might be something to think about.

JohnnyReb

With all the mods you are listing, there is very little "deuce" left. Are you looking for a modern truck with the military look?

Also, I have never wanted to get my truck much faster because the brakes have always been the weak link in these trucks. If you do all the mods you mentioned then don't forget the brakes....
JMHO....

M35guy

I'm figuring on putting better brakes in too. I love the look of the M35 but not the speed of it. thats why I plan a bit more powerful engine, and different tranny.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be worried about the pinion shaft bearings. They would be turning incredible speeds at 70mph. I've changed many of these in our fire trucks. And they only run at 50mph.I'd sudjest a steering stabilizer also. I kicked mine in netrual going down the ship channel bridge. The speedo was buried and it was all i could do to hold it in 3 lanes. Man you should have seen the traffic back off and give me plenty of room!!!!

rdixiemiller

If you are going to be camping, etc. There is no real reason to change engines. Just leave the driveline stock. If you are into a 4x6 truck with a big engine, find a wrecked tractor of your choice and install a 5 ton cab and front sheetmetal. That would probably be easier than doing all the mods to a deuce.
Just my 2cents worth.

rdixiemiller

Installing the 5 ton cab and sheetmatal would be similar to what the street rodders are doing. I have seen several old B61 Mack cabs and clips mounted on Superduty Ford Chassis, or Chevy C-30 stuff. Gives you the look of the old military rig, but modern disc brakes, engine, tranny, steering, AC, etc.
I would imagine that would be the most economical way to get it done. Definately the quickest. What you were talking about would be a long, drawn out process. You could buy a cab and clip from one of the 4X4 shops that is buying deuces for the axles and scrapping the rest. At least that way you would not be tearing up a complete truck.
This could actually be a fun project, especially if you have a donor vehicle available.

jasonjc

just get one of those new internation pickups it's big cool and has a big eng.

But i think the right gastorbin would fit under the hood.

M35guy

jasonjc said:
just get one of those new internation pickups it's big cool and has a big eng.
Umm, CXT $100K, deuce, around $4K, tell me which you'd go with. you tell me which you'd go for. besides, its hard to find a truck that looks like an M35 and is that cool. a CXT wont draw the same crowd an M35 will.

Oh, the whole reason I want to do this on a deuce is to have a project to keep me busy through the winter months here. I dont have any grass to mow then, so I'm going to NEED to do something or I'll go stark raving mad. I'm buying the truck, putting a bigger engine in, then a tranny and just sticking with that.

Wyattearp

M35guy you might consider what i mentioned about the cummins engine, plenty of hp and torque with the modern parts, not so hard to track down if you break down. But I think you would be happy with the engine and tranny unless your wanting to go automatic, in that case, search for a allison to put behind that multifuel.. I think with these trucks set up already as they are, they make a perfect weekend camping transport and if you have a ultility box as DR has then you got sleeping quarters etc...

M35guy

I'm considering all options right now, then I'll decide from there what to get and probably use the 5.9cummins with a manual behind it, NO WAY am I goin automatic on this kind of rig, its just not natural to me.

Desert Rat

I know Ken's worried about bearings. Heck, with the way he discribes his driving I'm more concerned about being behind him! :D Look out everyone here he comes!!!!!!!!!!

CUMMINS

A 5.9 is all ways a good choice but the 8.3 is only 4'' longer, and with the p-pump you could get some SERIOUS horsepower , but the 5.9 would do all you want

hot rod deuce

and 4k more bling bling. its hard enough trying to find a good 5.9 industrial motor let alone an 8.3 with the inline P pump. My searches came up with the 6-7K mark and my 5.9 was 2,000 with everything from aftercooler to drive shaft
If he hacks ANY abount of weight off and ups the gears it will fly. Mine weighs 7 ton and over a ton of that is rim/tire for god sakes and i can run right with the Big Rigs on the free way. not sure if anything over 10,000 pounds should go any farster. Kinda like in indiana or is it Illinois anything over 10,000LB is 55 MPH MAX anywhere even the super slab

They did you do the twins yourself? i have the BHT3B and want todo the same. Any pics?

rdixiemiller

I wonder if anyone has tried the Mercedes 6 cyl. diesel? I have heard from my Dad (rv type) that there is a 6 cyl. Mercedes out right now in the big motor homes that is supposed to be a screamer. Supposed to be more HP than the Cats everyone is using, and better fuel economy.
Seriously, I saw a wrecked Mercedes truck a while back, brought $800. It had a large 6 cyl diesel, 5 speed OD tranny. I didn't look too closely, but it looked like a mid '80's truck. i would assume it was a mechanically controlled engine.
There are a lot of options out there, just depends what you have, and what you want to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks