• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bigger engine, and different tranny in deuce?

Trango

Hey guys,

Something to keep in mind - the perfect companion to those bigger motors is a REALLY DEEP OD tranny that has at least 7 gears.

I'm looking at a 10 speed right now... I thought I had one lined up, but after picking it up, it turned out to be a straight ratio. I got it from a guy who traded for it and was plum mistaken on the ratio. He's going to dig around and find me another Fuller airshift that will be more on the money.

I'll probably end up moving the tcase back to get some room for it. I bet I'll be looking at a month or so to finish the swap, but man, airshift and 10 speeds will rock the house.

Almost time to finish up the modded M105, and then haul the buggy up to do some snow wheeling! Yeah!

Bob

spicergear

I've got the 3208's predecessor in mine. A 225hp N/A 1160 V8 CAT. It's got a rear sump pan and I'm back tight to the firewall. Machined the stock aluminum adapter plate from tranny bell to engine bell to fit the CAT, then needed a slightly longer T/O bearing. Machined face off one and rear off another, stepped them and welded back. Works great. Going from 134hp to 225hp and under 480 cubes to 636 cubes make that truck really work! Put dual stacks on it too. Have a set of 15.5/80R20 XL's (46x16) STILL waiting to go on it. Also have a gift cert to Detroit Locker from TTC this year that I'll be putting in one of those axles, and a set of lockouts I'll be pulling from my Rockwelled M715 that no longer see's enough street to warrant those hubs. Here's a pic of engine, then truck in rain. Oh, fender filter is from the cab corner of an older Mack tractor and bumper may look slightly off for deuce winch truck purist but that's a 20,000# Garwood PTO winch there, not a 10K. CAT V8 is shorter than multifuel so I moved the rad back and slipped the winch back to the first Xmember in the frame. Extended frame a total of 7-5/8". Have second set of tow lugs under-mount with non stepped D-rings and have 240' of 5/8" cable then a 12', 3/4" link dia grab chain. I use that winch all the time to drag out oak trees at the farm. Got another under the back.

nevrenufhp

A DT466(IH) can be made to spin higher than a powerstroke, and about as easy to do as a 12 valve cummins(6BT). Plus, most of the injector pump mods will be the same for a 466 and a Cummins 6BT; such as, fuel plate, governer springs, and (laser cut)delivery valves. As far as bigger engines go, the 466 has a nice broad power band.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DT might just be a bit heavy for the front of a deuce or at least one with 900x20 tires. Aside from that I would love to have a DT466 deuce!

nevrenufhp

Recovry4x4 said:
The DT might just be a bit heavy for the front of a deuce or at least one with 900x20 tires. Aside from that I would love to have a DT466 deuce!
Is it really that much of a difference? A 466 weighs in at 1400 pounds. I have pictures of a DTA466 in an 89 F350. To me it would be worth every effort to put one in, not like it's my favorite diesel engine or anything :wink: . The power potential is insane, just as a 12 valve Cummins 5.9 is these days.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks