• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bigler Boyz Crew Cab M35A2

KsM715

Did you spray the bedliner over all the access panels in the floor?

Edit: what is the point of the traction arms/links? K10A is right, those are going to bind and make for a harsh ride. The leaf springs will only allow the axle to move up and down with slight movement towards the rear. The links will travel in a much greater arch.

Last edited:

PropDr

lol

I suspect that the tabs will rip themselves off of the cross member or the axle in a short order. I just hope they don't fail in the pole vault direction.:doh:

I think the rest of it is cool.

biglerboyz

Ladder bars have been used and proven throughout the automotive and off-road industry for years. A properly designed ladder bar will reduce axle wrap and wheel hop. When a spring pack reaches its giving or tolerance point, the leaf pack will curve into an S-shape and the rear pinion will rotate upward. Some of the most common causes of this problem are a sudden burst of traction or power. The purpose of a ladder bar is to hold the pinion angle and reduce axle wrap. A ladder bar that is designed with proper length allows the bar to cycle with the suspension. If you don’t have experience and knowledge of how a ladder bar works, you should not build or install them. We have been lifting trucks and suvs since 1987 and have installed hundreds of lift kits, many of which have had ladder bars built and installed. If a ladder bar system is too short or improperly designed it will cause the suspension to bind, however a proper ladder bar system will do its job without any issues. I guess it is rather clear that not everyone on here understands how leaf spring suspension works. Don’t think they will hold together or that yours are better, feel free to bring your truck, we have a chain. We are here during the week from 9-5 every day.

biglerboyz

The floor of the cab was sprayed with the bed liner including all access panels. All of the panels still open or can be removed depending on which particular access panel. (whether hinged or bolted down)

Well Everything you say is true except one thing. They are not ladder bars. Ladder bars have 2 attachment points at the axle on each side and one at the frame. There are 2 bars that run from the axle and converge at the frame and have support in them that looks like a ladder. What you have built is a traction bar.

K10A

Ladder bars have been used and proven throughout the automotive and off-road industry for years. A properly designed ladder bar will reduce axle wrap and wheel hop. When a spring pack reaches its giving or tolerance point, the leaf pack will curve into an S-shape and the rear pinion will rotate upward. Some of the most common causes of this problem are a sudden burst of traction or power. The purpose of a ladder bar is to hold the pinion angle and reduce axle wrap. A ladder bar that is designed with proper length allows the bar to cycle with the suspension. If you don’t have experience and knowledge of how a ladder bar works, you should not build or install them. We have been lifting trucks and suvs since 1987 and have installed hundreds of lift kits, many of which have had ladder bars built and installed. If a ladder bar system is too short or improperly designed it will cause the suspension to bind, however a proper ladder bar system will do its job without any issues. I guess it is rather clear that not everyone on here understands how leaf spring suspension works. Don’t think they will hold together or that yours are better, feel free to bring your truck, we have a chain. We are here during the week from 9-5 every day.

Nice retort to constructive criticism so you can build a better product.

I never said my truck was bigger badder or anything besides my springs would turn to S shape cuz I havent built anything yet!rofl

Here is a link or 3 .

Competition Engineering : Tech Articles

Rear Traction Bar Kit K5 Blazer Chevy GM 4x4 from ORD

4X4REVIEW.COM: Sam's Off-Road Traction Bar

Axle wrap bar angle? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Axle wrap bar angle? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Last edited by a moderator:

biglerboyz

Here are some pictures of traction bars or ladder bars from some of the leading suspension companies in the industry. First, you will see Pro Comp "Lateral Traction Bars" which has one mount on the rear and one mount on the frame. Second, is Superlift "Torque Max Traction Bars" with one mount on the rear and one mount on the frame. The third and fourth pictures are of the same "Superlift Torque Max Traction Bars" mounted and in use. The fifth picture is Tuff Country "Ladder Bars" which has one mount on the rear and one mount on the frame. The sixth picture is Race Car Dynamics Suspension, "RCD Suspension", "Trac-Link Rear Traction Arm System". The RCD system also has one mounting point on the rear and one on the frame. The seventh picture is Skyjacker Suspension "Lateral Traction Bars" with one mount on the rear and one mount on the frame. As you can see, over five of the leading manufactures of suspension, lift kits, and suspension accessories all use one bar on each side of the rear differential. In all of these cases, each bar has one fixed mount on the rear differential and one fixed mount on the frame.

What is the difference between theirs and ours?

Below are links to information on each of these kits:

Pro Comp Lateral Traction Bars

Ladder Bars - Tuff Country EZ-Ride

Torque Max™ Traction Bars · Superlift · www.superlift.com

RCD Accessories

Skyjacker Suspensions LCSB260 - Skyjacker Lateral Traction Bars - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Attachments

Last edited:

PropDr

What is the difference between theirs and ours?

Theirs have rubber or poly bushings as opposed to tractor link ends. The poly bushings deflect when the two different length links that are @ two completely different angles cycle up and down. This helps keep from destroying the links, weld tabs, frame and or axle housing. If each busing deflects .250" per link you get .5" of fudge factor before the suspension locks up rigid and something fails. Now on a mall crawler street truck that might be enough give so that nothing fails before the warranty on the traction bar runs out, but the bushings will still be short lived. The other possibility is that the forward spring eye busing or the main leaf of the spring pack could fail because of the extra stress.

Assuming nothing breaks Either yours or theirs will make for a scary ride if you have to make any sudden maneuvers or if somebody puts it into a turn too hard.

By the way why did you choose to use tractor link ends over quality rod ends or unaballs? Do you always choose the cheapest parts for your buildups?

What is the max static radial load that they are rated for? What materials are the body, race, and ball mad out of? Last time I bought some from the local tractor supply for my friends massey ferguson they couldn't come up with any specs for them.

Attachments

Last edited:

KsM715

Not to stir the pot, but................ You'll also notice that all the bars you posted are braced and gusseted (except the last ones from skyjacker, are those traction bars or links?) You'll also notice that their bars are all made from round tubing, not square tubing. Round tubing is much stronger in compression than square.

As far as "people that don't understand".............. I think you need to re-think that statement.

I applaud your body work. Looks great. As far as your suspension work, I think you need to go back to the library and read some more and actually comprehend what it is you are trying to acomplish rather than just copy what you see other suspension companys are doing.

Edit: Lateral (side to side) traction bars locate the axle from side to side. AKA trac bars.

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

biglerboyz,

Very nice build, great looking truck! what did you line the hard top with?

just as a side note, we all ask questions, quite a few of these fellers have more fabrication experience then you can imagine and as such may see something that has been tried before without success.
best to just leave the "tude" on the other side of the keyboard. we're all in the insanity together...

Ridgerunner

My way is better!.....No, my way's better! .....No, mine is! ......Mine is!

I know everything! ....No you don't, I Do! .....and on and on....

rofl

:ditto:
Love your truck very well done. Still waiting to get mine but I would love to build it up like you have yours. You're traction bars look good, should do an amazing job stopping axle wrap. Just to be curious has anyone ever gotten the axle to wrap on a Deuce? I know it's fairly common on light duty trucks because the spring rates are so low but I didn't think it would be much of an issue on something with springs like the a Deuce or the low output of the motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks