• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Diesel!!!

joehagood

Has anyone tried a black diesel blend in anything other than a multi fuel. Ive read at 20% gas to oil it will run in anything older than 2004.ish. any feed back or help is greatly appreciated

Beyond Biodiesel

Black diesel seems to run differently on different engines. I have an old Detroit Diesel n/a engine that cokes its injectors on black diesel in days; however, I have been on several forums where a large number of people report running black diesel on 7.3 PSDs without trouble.

Most of those who run black diesel without trouble have a turbo charger, and they process their 80-85% WMO/15-20% gasoline blends through a centrifuge to remove sub-micron particles.

hedgehog69

I filtered WMO to 10 micron. 5 gal of WMO to about 30 gal of homebrew biodiesel. Felt like the Powerstroke ran better. 1999 Ford F250. BUT...twice it began smoking excessively. I quit using WMO and began adding seafoam and some other fuel injector cleaner products. Both times it took a while to shake whatever was sticking the injector. I am trying to get set up to filter WMO down to 2 micron and try again.

Kalashnikov

I've been running my 95 F350 powerstroke off 99% WMO for a few hundred miles and it loves every bit. My 89 F350 non turbo 7.3 IDI has 5k+ miles on WMO as does my 93 turbo. I also run my 10 ton off it, my 5 ton, my Bobcat...I'll never buy diesel again.

Custer

I've been running my 95 F350 powerstroke off 99% WMO for a few hundred miles and it loves every bit. My 89 F350 non turbo 7.3 IDI has 5k+ miles on WMO as does my 93 turbo. I also run my 10 ton off it, my 5 ton, my Bobcat...I'll never buy diesel again.
How new is your bobcat? I've been hesitant to try it in my 07 John Deere utility, my 2000 gator diesel and my 2000 grasshopper with kubota diesel.
I know the cummins 12 valve will like it as will the 5 ton. But worried about the others. Has anyone tried in any of these smaller engines?

Beyond Biodiesel

I filtered WMO to 10 micron. 5 gal of WMO to about 30 gal of homebrew biodiesel. Felt like the Powerstroke ran better. 1999 Ford F250. BUT...twice it began smoking excessively. I quit using WMO and began adding seafoam and some other fuel injector cleaner products. Both times it took a while to shake whatever was sticking the injector. I am trying to get set up to filter WMO down to 2 micron and try again.
Most of those who successfully run WMO for long periods of time on their engine run their WMO blends through a centrifuge. A centrifuge will remove sub-micron particles, which I believe are important to remove.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov

How new is your bobcat? I've been hesitant to try it in my 07 John Deere utility, my 2000 gator diesel and my 2000 grasshopper with kubota diesel.
I know the cummins 12 valve will like it as will the 5 ton. But worried about the others. Has anyone tried in any of these smaller engines?
I believe it is early 90s. It's got the Kubota v1702 in it. What kinda of fuel system does the 07 JD have? I would be hesitant in running it in high pressure common rails, at least without monitoring it. I know they are really sensitive to fuel pressure and will shutdown or throw codes if it's off by a small bit, in the rail that is.

The JD that was in the gensets that I use to work on ran at 17kPSI in the rail and was very sensitive to pressure variations. It would shutdown the ECU with only the slightest bit of air intrusion.

That being said, I did read about a couple people running International (Ford) 6.4s on WMO with great success.

Last edited:

Custer

The only info I can find on the 07 John Deere is that it's a Yanmar, model 3TNV84 1.5L non turbo. (32hp) Fuel is direct injection, self bleeding with electric shutoff. Could not find the fuel pressure numbers anywhere. But I don't believe it's a common rail. So I'm just going to have to try small doses and see how each machine reacts and hope for the best.

For the record, I did purchase the freedom fuel system as the op had. I haven't used it yet but am a few days away from giving it it's test run. The seafoam is added to try and prevent carbon buildup. It was recommended 1oz for every 10 gal. Diesel purge is another additive that was suggested. Amounts are the same for either one.
Simply mix it in with your batch.

Kalashnikov

Yea that's not a CR and being DI helps for starting. It looks very similar to a Kubota. I think it should be good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks