• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Ice Driving - Atlanta area

jw4x4

4 wheel drive gives you more GO, but not any more woe. The mistake I see most drivers with little or no 4wd experience get a sense of invincibility with their new found ability to accelerate in slick conditions. They tend to think they can stop on dime with the 4wd, only to find themselves plowing into something. The best advice, as already stated, is SLOW DOWN. Also, try to avoid using the brakes and steering at the same time. Add some sand bags behind the back seat for some weight (they can be opened and used for traction in a pinch). Airing down the tires will help, too.

Nonotagain

Big difference between "Black Ice" and ice.

Black Ice forms at temperatures above 32 F. The roads appear as if the pavement is dry which lulls you into a false sense of security.

Ice from a freezing rain or from melted then refrozen precipitation is a different creature.

Bridges and elevated road surfaces freeze faster than pavement that is in contact with earth.

Plain old fashion ice can be driven on with studded snow tires or tire chains. No fast/sudden starts, stops or direction changes.

Unless you have to be out in the mess, stay home and allow the three pieces of snow removal equipment that Georgia has to do their job.

67_C-30

Big difference between "Black Ice" and ice.

Black Ice forms at temperatures above 32 F. The roads appear as if the pavement is dry which lulls you into a false sense of security.

Ice from a freezing rain or from melted then refrozen precipitation is a different creature.

Bridges and elevated road surfaces freeze faster than pavement that is in contact with earth.

Plain old fashion ice can be driven on with studded snow tires or tire chains. No fast/sudden starts, stops or direction changes.

Unless you have to be out in the mess, stay home and allow the three pieces of snow removal equipment that Georgia has to do their job.
I hit a patch North of Atlanta headed to Rome, GA this morning that appeared to be water, but it nearly turned my trailer sideways. I was accelerating up a slight hilll and the rear tires broke loose when I hit the spot. It was several degrees above 32, but it very windy, and I guess maybe the ice formed overnight. It appeared to be the result of a water main leak, but it was real slick!

dittle

Stay off the cell phone
Don't play with heater controls
Tell passengers to shut up and let you concentrate on the job at hand
Keep you head on a swivel paying attention to other idiots around you who drive outside the ability/road conditions

CatMan

Driving on Black Ice

In northern climates, we just stay home. turn up the heat, crack another beer and watch the Green Bay Packers.

Why drive when it's icy????

Cat Man - just south of Green Bay WI

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My best advice is to not drive in less it is and emg.
When we drove Big Rig it was better to get off the roads and let the crazy out there.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Don't use 4x4 on ice!!!!!!!!!!! use 2 wheel drive only use 4x4 to get out of a stuck then put it back in 2 wheel drive. 4 wheel drive will spin you out on ice. don't believe me just drive down the interstate and see all the 4x4 s in the ditch or upside down. if the roads are bad and you don't have an emergency stay home!

alphadeltaromeo

As a note, which I'm sure you are already aware of, but the last ice we had a few weeks back produced over 1000 accidents in Atlanta. Taking that in consideration, stay home.

stampy

Having lived in Atlanta for half my life and now living in NC I feel that I have great perspective on the question.

1. Drivers in Atlanta have a problem even driving in the rain.
2. Most Atlanta metro drivers think the speed limit going through town is 85-90
3. Unpredictable ice will wreak havock on these people ( I am more afraid of the other drivers than I am the weather or ice)
4. 4 wheel drive does nothing for you if you are an moron (not necessarily you guys....anybody) We had 2 feet of snow here in NC one year and it was great as there were only a few people who actually knew how to drive in it for the first 2 days. After a few days though the morons came out and it was wreck city.
5. Hey do you really need a reason to stay home and work on your truck?:jumpin:
6. If you must go out take it easy (no interstate if possible) I agree with parking lot training...it worked for me too. I still use my driveway to test brakes and traction before get on the road too as I feel it helps to know slip points.

7. Get a generator, Atlanta has ice storms about every 5-10 years and some are real bad. I have a MEP 701a works great for the whole house (but we don't use a lot of power either)
Good luck either way and be careful:-D

joeM62

Well so much for working on the old truck we got hit pretty good and roads are bad
doesn't look like the state or county trucks are out on the road, hope everybody has heat
and power.

wkbrdngsnw

If you get a chance find a big open space like a parking lot and find out what it does in different situations so when it happens on the road your prepared. From my experience the 1009 doesn't like turn and if it starts to go around there is pretty much nothing you can do. If using 4wd don't brake and turn at the same time since the front and rear are locked together and turning is limited to begin with. Avoid hills if possible since if you lose traction gravity takes over and it becomes a car pinball youtube video. All I can say is have fun with that ice, I'll keep my 6in of snow.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
well I have 6+" of snow in my drive way, now it is starting to sleat/snow

rnd-motorsports

Whatever you do be SAFE ! take your time if you must drive. on side roads stay close to shoulder not in the center remember to watch out for the other guy not looking! In this day and age dont try to pull out all the crazy's may bite you in the end. just remember some are better left stuck and off the raod!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spent the night moving doubles for UPS. Wasn't bad, as I got off the road just as it started getting bad in SC. I did have to shift in the yard, and used the time to learn what not to do with a semi truck. Also learned that even with traction control, you CAN get a tractor to bring the rear end around 360 degrees.

Midnight Rider

I drive the 1009 on the ice the same as I do any other vehicle I've ever owned..........

.........Pedal to the Metal!!!!.................just kidding.

Honestly, just pay attention to your surroundings, take your time, and plan ahead.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
3 inches of snow compacted to an inch and now about 2 inches of ice on top of it. Roads are completely covered and I dont think this county has a salt truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks