• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout lights - other options?

FridgeBrilliance

So, my main blackout light is toast. I read in another thread where someone fried a wiring harness trying to convert it over to fog lights. Frankly, the blackouts are useless to me to an extent, and I am looking for other options while maintaining the appearance.

Can I connect a red lens warning light like the ones they have at Saturn but not use the flasher? (don't ask). How about one of the IR lights?

Anybody else do anything interesting with the existing wiring?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you refering to the blackout drive light as the "main" blackout light?

So, you want to replace the "useless light" with some other unneeded light?

Why?:-?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you refering to the blackout drive light as the "main" blackout light?

So, you want to replace the "useless light" with some other unneeded light?

Why?:-?

It's not totally useless, it fills that opening in the grille next to the headlight.
In fact, if you replace the standard bulb with a high wattage bulb.........well, it's still useless.

KsM715

Can I connect a red lens warning light like the ones they have at Saturn but not use the flasher? (don't ask). How about one of the IR lights?
In most states it is illegal to project any light forward other than white (headlights) or amber (orange turn signals) on non- emergency vehicles. Some volunteer fire fighters can get special permits to install em. light bars on their personel vehicles.

saddamsnightmare

October 26th, 2012.

The OP's obviously not a politician, otherwise he'd want that blackout light working so he could sneak into his girlfriend's drive without all the neighbors seeing him! Good point, Doghead! I guess the man has never, ever needed a blackout headlight at any time in his life, so he just doesn't sense the possibilites that having one on your truck provides you with.....

All my military vehicles had blackout lights, they are great fun! You can drive the local PD's nuts with them just by sitting in an alley with them on.....:twisted:

Me, I'd replace and repair the original unit to get the circuit working as designed, plus a CUCV without blackout lights looks wimpy, just like most GM's without blackout lights....

cscmc1

Granted, you'll rarely use it, but why not fix the blackout light? There's really not much to it... very little to go wrong.

Skinny

October 26th, 2012.

The OP's obviously not a politician, otherwise he'd want that blackout light working so he could sneak into his girlfriend's drive without all the neighbors seeing him! Good point, Doghead! I guess the man has never, ever needed a blackout headlight at any time in his life, so he just doesn't sense the possibilites that having one on your truck provides you with.....

All my military vehicles had blackout lights, they are great fun! You can drive the local PD's nuts with them just by sitting in an alley with them on.....:twisted:

Me, I'd replace and repair the original unit to get the circuit working as designed, plus a CUCV without blackout lights looks wimpy, just like most GM's without blackout lights....
Not sure how blackouts are going to make a 6.2 diesel all sneaky pete with the neighbors...

CycleJay

Hello Fridge,

You should just repair the Blackout drive light.
It is not that hard to do, I did it.

And you never know when you may actually need it.
So keep your CUCV stock, and repair, as opposed to replace it with something else.

That is just my opinion. You are free to choose to do anything you want with your truck.

Good luck, let us know if you need help.

Just my $0.02 cents...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure how blackouts are going to make a 6.2 diesel all sneaky pete with the neighbors...
Exactly!

All the neighbors would be like "Hey, it's totally dark outside, I don't see anything but it sounds like a washing machine full of hammers is coming down the street".

saddamsnightmare

October 30th, 2012.

Yes, maybe not CUCV GM's, but the ones that are made to have them look so wimpy and light footed in the grilles....Should be an option on the Civillian ones just for machismo purposes.... in blackout lights, size and location ARE important. My Unimog puts its blackout light boldly out on the front bumper and even has a plug on the fender to plug it in....! Unfortunately, someone, before I got the truck, poked out the two little identification disks of blue green celluloid (which identifies it as a truck, versus a motorcycle with one disk), so I am looking around for a little piece of celluloid or clear styrene to make repairs....
The Swiss were different, their blackout lights were independent of the main light switch, which had blackout positions (used on the German trucks), controlled by a separate switch,and it operates the front blackout light and two small bulbs, one in each standard taillight, NO cats-eyes for them!

I'd replace or rebuild the blackout light if it were my particular CUCV.....2cents

cscmc1

Unfortunately, someone, before I got the truck, poked out the two little identification disks of blue green celluloid (which identifies it as a truck, versus a motorcycle with one disk), so I am looking around for a little piece of celluloid or clear styrene to make repairs....
Cool info on the Mogs -- I love those trucks! We vacation in Bavaria frequently, and those buggers are a VERY common sight in winter on the mountain trails. Throw some chains on 'em, and they're unstoppable.

Re: the red and green colored discs, are the filters used in the old style USGI flashlights big enough? Those seem plentiful enough; maybe that'd work for you.

Matt1031

October 30th, 2012.

..... Unfortunately, someone, before I got the truck, poked out the two little identification disks of blue green celluloid...... so I am looking around for a little piece of celluloid or clear styrene to make repairs....
Google "color gels'. They are the colored plastic films used in stage lighting. Generally available in a bazillion different colors, so you should have no problem finding a close match to the original blue/green. Laminate a color gel to a piece of acrylic and you can have any color lens you like.

Be advised that in the US, having any blue lighting on your vehicle ,regardless of whether you actually use it or not, carries the *potential* to get you in trouble with the law. They remove the lenses from the aux strobes on most police auction vehicles because of this.