• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown multifuel motors

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the survival rate of the non turbo multi fuels, better than the turbo engines?

stumps

Why does a whistler (C turbo) whistle, and a D turbo not? Is just the speed it happens to turn, or is there some other mechanism?

-Chuck

DirtMagnet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently in the process of rebuilding my entire duece. I am rebuilding it for expeditionary travel and have procured all parts necessary for a more efficient motor; jatonkas oil and fuel filter adapters, oil centrifuge, pre-lube pump and fuel air separation system. My engine started fine, I would say perfect even in 10 degree weather. Upon dis-assembly the #5 piston was annihilated. The sleeve also had a crack on the passenger side. As I probed around the bare block I found that precisely where the crack in the sleeve occured there was a huge chunk of slag that had leaked through the mold at the time of casting. This was clearly causing a deficiency of coolant circulation. As a dug further there were a half a dozen other places similar. I know that it is just accepted that cylinder sleeves "just crack" but this could be the reason. Beware. Engine re-assembly is slated to begin 12-4-09. My 2cents.

Last edited:

wb1895

My deuce is a non turbo with th LD 465-1 engine, is there anything I should be concerned with? According to the instument panel, it has 23,000 miles and 850 hours.....but we all know about the interchangable instrument panels.....

GoHot229

Somehow I don't think that the key lies there....that said, it IS probably something that could/would increase both harmonics, smoothnes and longevity, But what is starting to appear is the lack of oiling to number 6 rod and main.....thus loosing the bearing leading to rod breakage and ventelated block...and colateral damage.
How much if anything (longevity) would be gained by balancing the rotating assembly?

Nonotagain

While we are looking for the route cause of these engine failures, don't forget the maintenance/service frequency.

When you purchased your truck, was the engine oil fresh or did it look like black mud? With older diesel fuel containing higher concentrations of sulfur, not changing the oil frequently enough allows the oil to turn acidic which attacks bearings and other metals.

Stress corrosion is a major concern in the aerospace community, so couple long oil change intervals with infrequent use of the truck and you have bearing attack by the oil.

Next up would be the Toole rebuild center with possibly re-using rod bolts during overhaul. Over stressed bolts don't maintain proper torque and over time allow for movement.

Since you can't count on the odometer or hour meter reflecting the true history of the engine, it might be prudent to change the rod bolts and check the bearings when you first purchase the truck. The same goes for the head gaskets since there was a rash of head gasket failures earlier this year.

I'm sure that most folks don't need or want to spend another $500 on their new purchase, but it might be the best money you ever spent if it keeps you from joining the ventilated block club.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
how do you figure #6 is the last to get oil?? all mains are oiled from a large main galley, and then rods are oiled from mains. you are talking milliseconds here. when you start the engine, unless it has sat for years, it still has enough oil for idle speed, it is not 'dry'.

35 year old rods that have seen a lot of stress, and also tired bolts that may have been reused.

this same engine in white tractors has a max rpm of 2200

truck life time was designed to be 8 years, and was expendable.

i have seen far more #3,4 rods broken that others, i think this is just random.

my 3 ¢

tom

Mine blew # 5 or 6 a few years ago, It was a non-turboed White I believe and I had just started it and let it run for a couple minutes and then BLAM!! that was all she wrote, surprised the **** out of me. (scared the **** out of the guys standing next to it too).

mudguppy

Why does a whistler (C turbo) whistle, and a D turbo not? Is just the speed it happens to turn, or is there some other mechanism?

-Chuck
the vane design and count on the turbine exducer. compressor inducer designs can also create whistle on some turbos (like the holsets on the dodges).

stumps

Somehow I don't think that the key lies there....that said, it IS probably something that could/would increase both harmonics, smoothnes and longevity, But what is starting to appear is the lack of oiling to number 6 rod and main.....thus loosing the bearing leading to rod breakage and ventelated block...and colateral damage.
My only problem with that hypothesis is the rod journals I have seen pictures of have universally been clean and shiny. That is atypical of bearing failure.

I am more of the belief, at this time, that the failure is due to the rod bolts being over tightened, or perhaps being reused in the reman process.

If it turns out that #6 is the favorite suicidal rod, I would then be interesting to look to see if there is something in the assembly process that makes torquing that rod cap different... such as an awkward angle, or maybe the engine stand gets in the way.

I think we will find that any rod is as good as any other for failing.

-Chuck

stumps

I'm thinking 'turning up the fuel' or the spin-on filters or the pre lube systems.
Ok, I see the direction you are going. I hope we can get some more anecdotal evidence on blow ups. It would be nice to see if there is a pattern.

The sad part is someone out at Continental/Hercules/White already has done this work, and knows the answer... It is a shame we can't find him.

-Chuck

stumps

the vane design and count on the turbine exducer. compressor inducer designs can also create whistle on some turbos (like the holsets on the dodges).
That is what I figured. I can hear some whistle in every turbo, but the C sure seems to stand at the head of its class (in whistling).

-Chuck

stumps

Another thing that would be interesting to know is what unit the trucks in question came from. I have found out that my truck came from a maintenance unit of the TN/NG. The truck never left the NG base and was only used to haul maintenance items on base. I tend to think it had a much easier life than most other trucks.
Mine came out of WI/NG's PMCS. It has a vise on the bumper, and seemed to be well taken care of.... But! I don't believe the NG units ever got their trucks new. Mine had a machine gun mount at one point that had been removed. So obviously, she had a few other roles.

-Chuck

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
there is an entire topic that covers this with info from the military and all the possible reasons why. you'd be very surprised at the information contained in that topic.
Plese send or post the link to that "entire topic" you wrote about.
I need to read and understand all that.
I have a 43 year old Deuce that needs to keep goin.

there is an entire topic that covers this with info from the military and all the possible reasons why. you'd be very surprised at the information contained in that topic.
M270A1

Waller performance owner/builder
http://www.wallerperformance.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks