• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown tire need pneumatic bottle jack suggestion

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today started awesome with working in the truck from the beach:IMG_20230803_153950.jpg
And ended with getting a blowout about a mile from home and having to pull into some parking lot to fix it!
IMG_20230803_164836.jpg
I just went around a corner at a slow speed and then I heard this hissing and slapping sound and I thought the hose had come off or something. I pulled over and looked and there was one slit. Trying to make it into the nearest parking lot finished the destruction!
Now I need to buy another spare and maybe a couple. Does anybody have a good suggestion for a decent quality but not too expensive pneumatic bottle jack that I can plug into the airline? My little bottle jack barely has the reach, takes forever to pump, tires me out, and on top of that I forgot to bring my impact gun!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the BII jack for the FMTV:

It has the range to lift the tire off the ground without a bunch of cribbing. You should use a spreader plate:

The 12 ton US Jack is a high range model and lifts to 22-5/8" - I'm not seeing any of the chinese pneumatic stuff that will go that high even though they are "rated" much higher in terms of weight.

Personally I wouldn't trust some cheap Chinese crap to lift tens of tons of steel while I'm going to be in/around/under it and having the wheel off the truck even for a few minutes while I'm maneuvering a spare and a shredded tire with no structural integrity left to it.

Been in that exact situation. Buy NEW tires or you will be doing this from time to time.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It has the range to lift the tire off the ground without a bunch of cribbing. You should use a spreader plate:

The 12 ton US Jack is a high range model and lifts to 22-5/8" - I'm not seeing any of the chinese pneumatic stuff that will go that high even though they are "rated" much higher in terms of weight.

Personally I wouldn't trust some cheap Chinese crap to lift a tens of tons of steel while I'm going to be in/around/under it and having the wheel off the truck even for a few minutes while I'm maneuvering a spare and a shredded tire with no structural integrity left to it.

Been in that exact situation. Buy NEW tires or you will be doing this from time to time.
These tires are fairly new no signs of cracking and the rubber is still nice and pliable. There might have been something in the road that I hit I don't know. Driving on it flat a quarter of a mile until I reached an area that I could actually change it finished it off that's for sure. By the way how much are these tires new I'm not even sure where you would get these new.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These tires are fairly new no signs of cracking and the rubber is still nice and pliable. There might have been something in the road that I hit I don't know. Driving on it flat a quarter of a mile until I reached an area that I could actually change it finished it off that's for sure. By the way how much are these tires new I'm not even sure where you would get these new.
What is "fairly new" ?

Anything more than 10 years old is trash. And if you want decent life out of them you should really shoot for no more than 3-4 years old. Also most of the surplus stuff is flat spotted garbage since it's been on a spare tire carrier it's whole life or on a truck that sat for years on end without being moved.

$1950 per tire new from Goodyear. There are dealers that can get them. Just a matter of making a lot of phone calls and proving you are a serious buyer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or just go with 445 65 22.5s. Same height as 395s. Last 5x the mileage at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of 395s with a heavier load range. Or go with 445 steers and 12R24.5 on the rear as duals. You could still run the CTIS as well.
What is "fairly new" ?

Anything more than 10 years old is trash. And if you want decent life out of them you should really shoot for no more than 3-4 years old. Also most of the surplus stuff is flat spotted garbage since it's been on a spare tire carrier it's whole life or on a truck that sat for years on end without being moved.

$1950 per tire new from Goodyear. There are dealers that can get them. Just a matter of making a lot of phone calls and proving you are a serious buyer.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is "fairly new" ?

All the rest of my tires are from mid 2015 and mid 2017. I'll have to check tomorrow and lower that blown tire to see what date it was.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the rest of my tires are from mid 2015 and mid 2017. I'll have to check tomorrow and lower that blown tire to see what date it was.
The problem is - they may be expired because they didn't get used and exercised. Many people buy "100%" tread tires from surplus that are "only" 5 or 6 years old not realizing they are unfit for use because they sat unused on a shelf, on a spare tire carrier, or even on a truck at a guard or reserve based that moved once or twice a year if it was not deadline and left in the back 40 to collect mud wasps and moss:

The Army is absolutely RIFE with equipment that just rots into the ground for a variety of reasons and has literally THOUSANDS of warehouses full of expired shit. With 1.2 million service members among the branches....... there's a LOT of reserve equipment that's kept around "just in case" that eventually goes to auction but the movement on that paperwork is painfully slow and in the meantime the trucks can spend YEARS just sitting because they know it's going away (when several someone's at several levels get around to it) so why maintenance it? That just takes man hours and money from the budget that can be used for more important things.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Personally I wouldn't trust some cheap Chinese crap to lift tens of tons of steel while I'm going to be in/around/under it and having the wheel off the truck even for a few minutes while I'm maneuvering a spare and a shredded tire with no structural integrity left to it.

This is the jack that I have but hopefully the other Jack is a little bit taller from the beginning so that it doesn't need a repositioning in the middle of the procedure
Screenshot_20230804-065732_1.png
Here is my current tire configuration
IMG_20230804_074736.jpgand I think what I'll do is move the newest tires to the front the second newest to the intermediate and the oldest tires to the rear.
IMG_20230804_075047.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just go with 445 65 22.5s. Same height as 395s. Last 5x the mileage at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of 395s with a heavier load range. Or go with 445 steers and 12R24.5 on the rear as duals. You could still run the CTIS as well.
Any recommended source for 22.5 wheels that may not break the bank?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Any recommended source for 22.5 wheels that may not break the bank?
I get 22.5budd super single wheels from truck junk yards for $50 to $100each. They are like $330 new

22.5 beadlock/composite runflats are $250each and I've got em from Brazil. The 20in version you see on surplus I think would work with a little modification

I've got a set of 5 Michelin XZLs in 445 65 22.5 that are nearly new. They are 44in tall so 1 inch shorter than a 395. 12,300lb rating and wider

Attachments

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 22.5budd super single wheels from truck junk yards for $50 to $100each. They are like $330 new

22.5 beadlock/composite runflats are $250each and I've got em from Brazil. The 20in version you see on surplus I think would work with a little modification

I've got a set of 5 Michelin XZLs in 445 65 22.5 that are nearly new. They are 44in tall so 1 inch shorter than a 395. 12,300lb rating and wider
Will those fit on the FMTV hubs? Do they need modification for the CTIS stud? Is there a backspacing difference?
Thanks for the info man.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 20 ton red bottle jack that I bought from Northern tool and use cribbing to get it to the height I need and lift the truck and change the tire. I have 2 of these jacks and will be using them again for my 5 ton and my M977 going to a truck show at the end of the month. Plus they get used for everything in between in my shop. Nothing fancy but does the job every time just fine!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Will those fit on the FMTV hubs? Do they need modification for the CTIS stud? Is there a backspacing difference?
Thanks for the info man.
Ctis stud is 7/8 the same as commercial steer budd studs. They have no issue fitting lmtv hubs. There are different offsets of super singles. The ones from the M989A1 trailer are about perfect

Irishcop

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I use (at home and on the road).

It has worked flawlessly for me thru three trucks

Do you need to put anything underneath the jack or is it tall enough on its own? I have a 2009 BAE M1093A1 that I'm in the market for jacks and jackstands. I have the membership at Harbor Freight so while not "name brand" some of their stuff seems pretty decent for the price.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need to put anything underneath the jack or is it tall enough on its own? I have a 2009 BAE M1093A1 that I'm in the market for jacks and jackstands. I have the membership at Harbor Freight so while not "name brand" some of their stuff seems pretty decent for the price.
If you have a flat drive the the rim/ flat up on your 6x6 or 8x8 wodden block then the axle housing is just about flat then put your jack and maybe a short block to reach the housing to jack up !

Last edited:

Third From Texas

It won't reach w/o cribbing, but I would likely still use some form of ballast on most any terrain I might change a tire on. It might do w/o if you aired the opposing tire down flat, but I've never tried it. I keep a couple 18" 4x4 and 2x6 with me. I do a lot of beach driving and you have to have some sort of footing.

*edit: had to look it up, but the max lift height is 20"

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to consider a saddle jack for the top of the jack to keep the jack lug from slipping off of the axle. Just a suggestion.

I have two, one for each of my 20 ton air jacks from HF. They work great. I wanted them because my driveway is at a slight negative grade and want to make sure they didn't come off. I also use 6 ton jack stands with the jacks.

Flat Saddle Jack.jpg

Well, that's my 2cents for what ever it's worth? 😉

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks