• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce Hydraulic or Air Assist steering opinion

Southpaw26

I know this subject has been talked about on here. But I am trying to decide. I am between getting full hydraulic steering or a air assist kit. They are both gonna cost me about the same. I think the air assist is not going to be as easy to steer and I think the hydraulic is going to be very twitchy driving on the road and highway. I know that people will say hydraulic steering is not street legal but I am not trying not get into all of that. I have been assured by the shop doing the hydraulic steering the the truck will steer with engine off, just not as easily. Please any opinions on which I should go with or insight would be great.

Awesome Possum

I have air assist on my steering and I like it. It didn't work when I first got the truck and it was a bear to steer. I got a gasket fabricated and replaced and it works well, except it still dumps too much air in a right hand turn. Still hoping to find a rebuild kit, but no luck yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't given enough info, to really help you decide. What is your goal? How do you plan to use/drive your truck? How many miles/year?

RHudson85

I have no expericence with the air assist. However, I have full hydro on mine, and like you stated, it is very touchy going down the highway. You do not have the same feedback you get with a mechanical connection. I am fixing to go with hydro-assist with crossover steering, just working on getting all the parts together.

Southpaw26

Well I may drive the truck 500 miles per year max. The truck will only be driven on the highway for about 10 miles. Mostly back roads. Off road maybe 100 miles out of the 500.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless your physically challenged with the steering as it is now, I don't think it would be worth it to you to change the steering at all.

Air assist is a direct bolt on, and a decent improvement. But, it is an old design and hydraulics may be simpler to maintain or repair but require customization..

Last edited:
I have no expericence with the air assist. However, I have full hydro on mine, and like you stated, it is very touchy going down the highway. You do not have the same feedback you get with a mechanical connection. I am fixing to go with hydro-assist with crossover steering, just working on getting all the parts together.
"hydro-assist" ? are you talking about going to a power steering box or hydraulic ram assist? and why cross over steering?

dozer1

I have no experience with either of the 2 options the OP mentioned. After reading this post, I vote for air assist.

mudguppy

... I have full hydro on mine, ... it is very touchy going down the highway. You do not have the same feedback you get with a mechanical connection. ...
mine's not - it is smooth at all speeds (0.0 - 85 mph) and gives steering wheel 'feedback'. the return-to-center feel is not as pronounced as a powered box, but it's there.

my point is that it depends on your hydraulic system - mine's a full PSC system [with enhancements] and i have nothing but good things to say about it.

however, if i were to get another truck that would be more for on-road then i would do the HF steering box conversion.

mudguppy

... I am fixing to go with hydro-assist with crossover steering, just working on getting all the parts together.
wait... what? why would you go w/ cross-over steering? and how? what box would you use?

and you wouldn't need to go cross-over to get hydro-assist; i don't know what power steer box you'd use, but i think some of the HF boxes can be ported for use w/ an assist cylinder. but these boxes still have the sector shaft protruding laterally through the frame - no-go for cross-over style steering.

i think maybe 'cross-over' is not what you meant...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO, air is better than nothing but a hyd system can be had for the same cost or less and work much better.

The plus of the air system is ease of installation. The down side is cost of the setup and they don't work as good as hyd.

The only down side to hyd is all the setups I've seen require some fab work and trying to track down all the parts to make it work.

badga the badger

mine's not - it is smooth at all speeds (0.0 - 85 mph) and gives steering wheel 'feedback'. the return-to-center feel is not as pronounced as a powered box, but it's there.

my point is that it depends on your hydraulic system - mine's a full PSC system [with enhancements] and i have nothing but good things to say about it.

however, if i were to get another truck that would be more for on-road then i would do the HF steering box conversion.
Wait... what? 85 mph? Are we still in the deuce section? I believe that is what is refered to as Ludicrous Speed (see "spaceballs: the movie")

Attachments

Last edited:

Southpaw26

So far what I m gathering is that the Hydraulic steering is probably the way to go. My friend is very good at this sort of thing and price wise it is going to be about the same. I am guessing the hydraulic steering probably adds more value to the truck.

RHudson85

I have the PSC full hydro set up as well. My alignment may be a bit off however when going down the road the truck tends to wander a bit. When a correction is made, it is always an over correction and I find the truck swerving a bit until I get it back under control. I am running 53" XZL's and I myself do not feel the feedback of a mechanical connection which is my biggest complaint.

Yes I mean crossover steering. I will be using one of PSC's tapped steering gears for hydro-assist. The only thing I have left to figure out is the steering arms. The suspension for the truck does not allow me to use the stock steering arm so the stock setup is out of the question. With the set-up I am going with parts should be easy to obtain in the future if need be. The plan is to mount the steering gear forward on the frame as to clear the oilpan with the drag link. I will then modify a pitman arm to achieve the correct travel, and run the draglink to the right side steering arm. It will be a few months as I am still gathering parts and ideas, but I will post some pics when I finish.

deathrowdave

I have power assist added to the OEM steering box . Built by Garrison Steering works great . My truck did not want to return to center after addding power steering , had to flip the front axle caster shims . After this mod it steers and returns great !!! You can find this type of steering on many older soft drink delivery trucks . Got the complete system for $75.00 , but thhe expensive part is the MF 5 ton pump. Have a great and safe day looking !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks