• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce Hydraulic or Air Assist steering opinion

I have power assist added to the OEM steering box . Built by Garrison Steering works great . My truck did not want to return to center after addding power steering , had to flip the front axle caster shims . After this mod it steers and returns great !!! You can find this type of steering on many older soft drink delivery trucks . Got the complete system for $75.00 , but thhe expensive part is the MF 5 ton pump. Have a great and safe day looking !!!
Interesting. Your still using the original manual box? How did you do that? Ram assist on the tie rod like some old Ford trucks? Sounds like an inexpensive way to do it if your happy with the results. Can you take some pictures ?

Thanks, Greg

deathrowdave

The system looks the same as the Air Assist system only it is powered by an engine driven hydraulic pump rather than air. It has a hydraulic ram attached to the tie rod and axle and a control valve in place of the drag link same as the Air Assist . Works wonderful !!! Sometimes it is all most too easy to steer !!! New parts from Garrison are expensive , but many used parts are available . Earlier 60 and 70 series GM trucks also have this style for parts . :grd:

mudguppy

... Are we still in the deuce section? ...
nope - we're in the modification and hot rodding section. my bob'er ain't exactly 'stock'... [thumbzup]

"...Ahhh buckle this. Ludicrous Speed, GO!!!"

... I will be using one of PSC's tapped steering gears for hydro-assist. ...
i wouldn't - those steering boxes are way under-rated for a medium duty truck. remember, there's ~7,000lbs on your front axle alone...

have you spoken w/ PSC about using this box on a MD truck? i'd be interested to hear what they say.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realy have no trouble driving the way it is. Now when I put the T831's on there instead of the NDT's seem to improve. I have a A3 with air assist and yea there is a differance. Now for the money spent I think I would go with power stearing, use a smaller stearing wheel and put my T931 bostrom air ride seats in mine.:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks