• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed deuce project info please

sweetk30

i am thinking of selling some of my 1ton truck stuff and starting a bobbed deuce. i have read a lot and followed 55cameos build in florida. thats what i plan on having if i do it my self.

i work as a auto mechanic. i love fab work kind of stuff. i have built lots of big trucks. but this would be my first big truck kind of build.

what is the basics of bobbing a deuce i would need to look out for. and what to expect for tool requirments.

also i have ken kublos surplus just down the road from me so getting a good truck and spare parts is no big deal.

and i would want a winch for self recovery and others . plus if i could possible rear winch if that would be easy to do ?

thanks guys realy look forward to the info to come. i value this site and its opinions.

wehring

Get on a plane

Plane tickets are cheap right now. Fly down here (Houston) and I will show you first hand. I have power steering on some and manual on others so you can drive them side by side. I am in the process of cutting two more down now. Come spend a Saturday here and you will be prepared for the job.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

sweetk30

darn job makes me work sat. sorry or i would.

good pics get me 95% of the info. just lookin for stupid info i might have missed.

whats the best p/s option to get mill or civil to bolt on? i am in the rust belt and play in mud/trails/snow and drive on blacktop a lot.

wehring

bobbed

the air assist is a good option for the price (500 used to 1100 new) and minimal effort to put on. Full hydro is top shelf for off road but takes some getting used to for on-road apps. The steering wheel "floats" when going straight. The ideal set up is an in frame box, 5 ton pump and ram assist. There are a few how-to posts on this kit.

The conversion is pretty straight forward. The rivets suck and there is no way around them. If you want to carry a spare consider leaving some room between the bed and cab. To center the wheels on a M105 bed pushed close to the cab you will need to add +5" to the rear shaft.

Hope this helps...

Justin.

frodobaggins

Plane tickets are cheap right now. Fly down here (Houston) and I will show you first hand. I have power steering on some and manual on others so you can drive them side by side. I am in the process of cutting two more down now. Come spend a Saturday here and you will be prepared for the job.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

WARNING! WARNING!.... If you do this, I've heard he puts you to work !!

Rgdl

I'm another new guy considering buying a Deuce and bobbing it.

So to simplify the bob-job instructions:

1) Torch and hammer out the rivets holding the rear suspension to the frame.

2) Remove ??" from rear frame.

3) Install a pair of front springs to rear frame. (see "a" below).

4) Install rear axle to new springs. (does it matter which of the tandem axles you use?)

5) Lengthen rear driveshaft accordingly.

6) I imagine the brake lines and some electrical wires to the rear of the truck will require some fanangling?

a) What do you guys use for spring hangers and shackles? Are these welded or bolted to the frame?

bigelk50

Use either axle

lengthen wires air lines and fix rear brake line accordingly

Use deuce front springs and hangers, or m105 springs have been used ya pretty much have the gist of things

00sahara

I will keep my eye on this post, im going to look at my first deuce next week, if its in good shape im going to buy it, and I would really like to bob it.

wehring, i have a buddy in houston, i might fly out there one of these days and check out what you have going on if you dont mind. :beer:

oldshep

air assist is great. Makes steering much easier with my 46 inch xmls. Lock outs help a lil too. If u have any questions PM me and i'll be glad to help.:-D

Billy Bobbed

When I bobbed my deuce It makes it steer,ride,performe alot better.Dont do it if you dont like to be noticed.These things stick out like nothing you will ever own.I have C&C equipment wheels 46 inch XMLs tires.I took the M105 trailer springs took the overload springs and the bottom springs and took them apart and put them together.No blocks.added 4 1/2 to driveshaft Truck sits level.And added the trailer bed.

kochevnik

If you don't do put the M105 bed on the back and use the front tandem in the same position - then you can use the stock driveshaft. I'm going to do a bobber as well but no bed on the rear - got other plans for that space.

Larch

BillyBobbed, you got a picture of your spring pack that you modified for the rear? I'd like to see a picture of it. How did you put the helper springs in the other spring pack? thanks.

Billy Bobbed

You just take all the trailer springs apart and stacke them by size,til you have all the springs put together.You should have 17 springs.Do not use the block.My truck sits just right

clpo

Is there a "standard" wheelbase. Most of the pictures I find using search don't give details. I have seen pics of a few trucks that look too short. Really helps the appearance to get the proportions right. Would it be possible for all you bob builders to post pics of finished project with wheelbase or drive line length so us new builders could compare? Is there a standard length if you decide to use the M35 bed.

Thanks in advance for the info,
Clay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks