• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce - Why use M105 trailer frame too?????????

wehring

Mee too but...

I like the looks of the trailer bed but I am going to put a HIAB on a bobbed deuce and want to keep the wheel base as short as possible. THe fender well will be too far back on the trailer bed so I am cutting down a C bed for that one. I just cut made another trailer bed shorty this weekend.

Santa - good idea for the mud flaps! Protection for the fuel tank running the 46" XMLs is smart.

Justin

Attachments

jpinst

I will never understand the logic behind a bobbed m35 truck. All that work and for what? You no longer have a military relic, not you have a custom whatever.

That is why I believe a bobbed deuce is a POS period. Why not put a Chevy cab on it too. If you want a four wheel truck then go buy a Ford Ranger.

Tell you what I am going to do--put wheels on my halftrack. Won't that be cool?

Ha ha he he ho ho duh.

wehring

I appreciate vintage but...

The cool factor is not in the equation. I am building 10 hurricane relief trucks for South Texas. The turning radius of the 6X6 is BAD. Sliding the rear axle across debris covered paths while turning only to pick up nails is BAD. Form is following function for this evolution. Many people will be thankful that I have put hours into making "get there" vehicles to help my fellow Americans in time of need. I truthfully could not care less about the historical correctness of my trucks.

Justin

jpinst

RE: I appreciate vintage but...

Good, I am glad you were smarter than the engineers at AM general and the Army, so that you have modified the trucks to do a better job. Then why not use an F150? Even better turning radius......

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor

f150s are not multifuel, dont like water and have crappy drivetrain parts that are expensive. 10 people in the bed of an f150 will prolly break an axle. i also have never seen an f150 with a pto winch on it. why are you complaining anyway?? its not your truck and theres only about 50,000 or so deuces in existance. you should go cry to the people who were buying them off gl a few months back just to send them to the shredder to make a few dollars instead of someone doing mods to better suit the needs of thier environment.

jpinst

Great! I am sure you really need a multifuel engine, just in case there is no more diesel you can use jet fuel. Anyway, I don't care at all. I just voiced my opinion that the I thought the concept of a bobbed deuce was stupid. Go ahead and make it into an ice cream truck. Nobody will mind, not even me. [thumbzup]

Reactions: TJP

55Cameo

I think that it is Stupid to take a picture of the right front corner of a Deuce and post it as an avitar picture.
(Doesn't this make just as much sense?)
Fact: A bobbed Deuce turns much easier and sharper than a duel axle Deuce.
Fact: A bobbed Deuce is easier to drive around tight areas.
Fact: A Deuce will run on used motor oil or any petrol product for that matter and in times of disaster, when there are fuel shortages, that is important.
Fact: No one cares about your 'opinion' when it is stated in such a negative manor!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the reasons that Steel Soldiers has grown and the mailing lists and such have shrunk is partly because this forum welcomed everybody. We have a forum for mods as well. In the past some of the purists have lashed out at guys doing modifications to the point some of them just quit the forum. I would like to think we could tolerate each other in such an environment. Now for an opinion/observation. During WWII there were CCKWs and the Chev 1 1 /2 tons. Both had a roll and a place in service. A bobbed deuce is the 1 1/2 ton of the G742 family. Not produce as that by the military but modded to that by the owners. If it weren't for intrepid individuals with a torch and welder, we would never have had the guntrucks in Viet Nam. We really don't need to be throwing stones towards each other because of different tastes.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thing the M105 beds just look best. I second the notion of putting mud flaps in front of the rear wheels. In fact, I would just re-use the front and rear flaps from the Deuce beds. They are a real good arrangement, and would look "stock"!

Lee in Alaska

2deuce

I like the looks of a bobbed deuce. Everyone has their own personal tastes and I like a shortened deuce bed better than a trailer bed. My belief is if you don't have anything good or helpful to say you shouldn't say anything. I can see no harm in bobbing a deuce, only fun.

wehring

OK got it done with the 46" XMLs

I completed the rest of the wheels and put the 46" XMls on the bobbed deuce. Then I decided to use the wood slats that are under the standard bed and put them under the M-105 bed. This gave me a spacer to allow for the rivet and bolt heads that stick up from the truck frame. It went together very well. The cab sits almost even with the bed and the lift point on the front right of the M-105 bed does not hit the fuel tank strap.

The only thing left to do is cut some 6x6 squares of 1/4" and weld them to the trailer mounting tabs that drop down. This will give me plenty of meat to drill and bolt into the truck frame. The existing trailer bed mounting points are too close to the top radius of the truck frame. The 6x6 plates will allow me to drill in the center of the side of the truck frame.

Pics will follow tomorrow!

Justin

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, do the front tires rub on turns? Also the bobbed duece that sold on GL was actually a pretty rare M275 that was modified.:roll:

sprucemt

Good, I am glad you were smarter than the engineers at AM general and the Army, so that you have modified the trucks to do a better job. Then why not use an F150? Even better turning radius......
The Army did do a version of the single axle deuce. It was a XM381 and XM381E1, but never went into production.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks