• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed M880/CUMMINS hybrid

m880 unimog

got some more fiddly bits made and started stripping the first wheel station-i reckon if one wheel cylinder is leaking they are all getting fresh seals and fluid-so i got these seals ordered today-the guy let me have them buck shee:p he knows i will be getting a heap of stuff once i get going-

i removed some of the bolts that held the comms shelter support kit on to the bed-these were seized solid-so the recip and the club hammer came into the fray..there could only ever be one winner.

mocked up the first air tank bracket , they sit right up under the bed where i hoped they would , these will stay in-situ as the frame and bed tip up - man im giving up TIG welding iron , every weld today went contam on me , some even had to be ground right back - pig iron i guess ? my stick welder will sort this out!!

also got the rear bed supports finnished , just want painting , and then welding to the chassis -or possibly the other way round-

Attachments

m880 unimog

too tired to write much-

hacked and abused bed to sit right-

layed front bed supports on chassis rails and clamped up-

set tin and rear wheel up so get a view-bit more interesting than endless pictures of one off parts being made:p

stripped first wheel cylinder-all good-

Attachments

m880 unimog

been raining here-i hope to have use of a warehouse -i will know monday-thats a WAREhouse guys-
got the first wheel station finnished-hope to get new tyres on rims next week or so-
been chipping away at a few smaller jobs here and there.

gravi tex final coat yet to go on axles n chassis

i have also secured two more of these super tough axles-i plan to fit the diff locks from the new rear axle to the new front axle-it,s a lot of machineing but the cummins has a lot of snot,and is easily increased to much higher amouints of horsepower and torque-so i cant use any weak parts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wy-m880

Looks good! Mines been on trash duty, but mysteriously everyone gets talking about sending units and pickup tubes on the forum lately, and guess what " mine failed", but i think im going to wait till spring to tear truck all apart bolt by bolt:beer:, Keep up the good work man!

m880 unimog

hey chuck-

thanks for the encouragement,it really helps to have people who know these great trucks adding to the thread,bit like a gee up and a bit like a butt kick-it all helps!

i just got done talking with a friend of a friend and have rented some [expensive] warehouse space for the next few months at least-i hope this will be the tonic i need to get things sewn up with this build-
i have an old BSA A10- to get done for a customer and then it,s truck love 24-7
lots of jobs to still get done but most of the heavy fab work is behind me,it,s gonna be sooooo nice to be able to leave my tools on the truck over night,and not have to wrap everything away each time i go out to get some done-also the weather can no longer hold me up-now its just down to getting the parts i need bought and GITTIN' 'ER DONE:beer:

HAD TO PUT IN ANOTHER TYRE PICTURE AS THERE JUST SO DARN PURRDY:drool:

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

very very envious mate!!!!!! I hope that the shop works out. The pain of spending money on shop time is a great motivator. Good luck. May all your bolts come out and not snap off.

m880 unimog

hey james-like the jeep-i have enjoyed the season opener at gainesville raceway a few times,the gator nationals-rock!-the shopspace is costing me £50 per week-plus electric-=$80.00 plus juice.so yeh, its a great motivator for sure.

jamesfrom180

Sold the old girl (jeep). Always a good time at the race track. I've heard rumors about a diesel shoot out coming. I'm following along here because I've always wanted to build a portal style axle. I drive a cummins almost every day and would like to put a 4BT in a CJ-10.

m880 unimog

hey booger,love to see pics of the VL/FL/FLE/FLH/APACHE/M35/FXE-great collection.[thumbzup]

so i got moved into my new home for the next few months-

pics a bit dark,but SO NICE to work on flat floor and in the dry with no wind or shoite weather to rile me.:drool:
all the drums came right off no problems-after i backed off the adjusters and wound two M12 bolts in-to act as extractors-
all in good even shape [ crack tested ]
truck up on axle stands-
first sight of basic stance with both wheel and correct tyres in situ-
checked steering /suspention clearances on front axle-few small issues,easily remedied-
had little time on truck since i rented the space----typical.:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

thanks for the encouragement men.i just had around a month off of the build as i fell from the truck and was on crutches for a few weeks-
back at it and made a bit of progress-
setting the body onto the tipper frame had been tough,but im slowly getting things welded or fixed in place-
behind the cab i had to allow space for ROLL BAR AND BRACES-COLD AIR INLET FROM CAB ROOF-EXHAUST ROUTE-TIPPER RAM AND CONTROL-AIR/HYDRAULIC CYLINDER AND CONTROL-AIR TANKS FOR BRAKES-NEW BRAKE PIPES-ELECTRICAL-BATTERIES-FUEL TANK-

my first priority was to get each wheel station rebuilt , painted with hammerite then GRAVITEX and ready to go , then to have my michelin XZL,s 335/80/R20 tyres fitted to the new wheels , next i want to get the bed fixed to the tipper frame -then i can move out of this badly lit EXPENSIVE warehouse-

i must have looked funny hobbling round in the gloom pushing these breat big wheels and tyres about-:drool:

m880 unimog

demmitt , my pictures wont stick to my words-have another go-took too long will go to a better pc

been making some cool parts in the workshop too , mostly for the BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK bike - but also some pieces for my truck-

get some pictures next week

Attachments

Last edited:

onegmjack

Hope you get better with your injury,I can relate I wreck my full dresser Harley broke both legs,right leg got a compound fraction. Was in wheel chair then crutches for a year.Your project looks great,please keep us updated.Dwight

demmitt , my pictures wont stick to my words-have another go-took too long will go to a better pc

been making some cool parts in the workshop too , mostly for the BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK bike - but also some pieces for my truck-

get some pictures next week
"PARTS FOR A BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK BIKE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

how about a couple of pictures of the parts and the bike

Thanks,
Greg

m880 unimog

ok- here,s a few pictures of the race bike n parts-we are racing at this years speedweek , and maybe BUB , both held at the great salt desert in UTAH , hope to catch a military vehicle rally or two while im over-i,ll ask in another thread for recommendations.

thanks to USPS -i got my new air filter in super quick time -the geeks here said 6-10 weeks , i got it in 10 days!!
as ever , impressed with the quality of this and it,s washable , i might just import a few of these , as they will save me money -so other folk will want um-anyway, got some welding done on the bed and frame , PITA , im aiming to get outta here by the end of the month and into a new warehouse at the local scrap yard-much cheaper-and lots of lovely metal and old cars and bikes...hmmm maybe not such a greart planaua

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

ok, next lot of pics are back to the truck,:shock:

got the body tack welded to the shim pieces , not pretty , at all, but allows me to get the body upright and be able to clean the endless rust off and replace a lot of rotten/thin/weak metal. we all know these trucks were built to a price in good old detroit , but the body i have was never meant for use as a tipper , i have no plans to tip with any weight in the bed , its just to allow access to batteries/air tanks/hydraulics/wich etc for maintenance , but i may beef the bed up at a later date.
it was good after all the PITA shimming and measuring and adjusting to get this rotten old body up on it,s own frame at last-although things are shaping up , all the fiddley jobs are stacking up.
still mad for it though !:D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks