• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed truck, Shocks or Not?

Pappa-G

I am in the process of converting my M818 to a single rear axel with a M105 box and plan on running 16x20 XL's. Should I run shock absorbers on the rear or just skip it?:roll:

Thanks for any input!

Jake0147

There are lots of larger trucks that don't use shocks in the rear. There is enough "spring" in the pack that it's movement per pound is not comparable to a front spring, and there is much higher friction in the leaf spring to eliminate the need.
By virtue of their being there, it's safe to assume that the springs used in the front suspension of the truck do not provide enough self dampening.
Installing the front springs in the rear, they will still have more squish per pound of force, and I could only assume this will not add anything to their ability to self dampen.

I'd think you'd be a lot better off with them...

100dollarman

We havent put a set of shocks on the rear of a bobbed Deuce yet--- I cant tell the difference.

But, shocks certainly wouldnt hurt anything.

I havent bobbed a 5 ton yet---- ---I would say you probably wont need them.

Chinookpilot77

The thing about non-bobbed trucks and there lack of shocks is that in a trundle suspension system there are torsion bars and packs that make up for a true shock, but the torsion bar is still dampening a ton of that vibration.

I bet the ford F550's and f 650's have shocks...and I know that all the 1 tons do....

5 tons, who knows maybe once you scale things up far enough vibration and axle dampening is no longer a concern.

Billy Bobbed

I just bobbed my deuce.It doesnt have shocks, rides fine.But I have everything to put shocks on.Im going to put them on because i have them.And I have a 4 day weekend, gives me something to do this weekend.

Jake0147

I bet the ford F550's and f 650's have shocks...and I know that all the 1 tons do....
You're on the right track... All the 550's and lower do have shocks. The air sprung 650's do have shocks. The "spring sprung" 650's that are more in question here do not have shocks. But the spring pack is a very different setup than the 550 and lighter models. Usually (I do not dare say "always") if it has leaf springs, look for a floating spring shackle. If it has that, it'll have a shock. If the spring rests directly on the spring hangar (or the upside down version of that, like on a deuce original rear suspension), then there is no shock.

blacktop_one

Way back in technical school my instructor showed us how the forward placement of the shock on one end of the axle and the rearward placement of the one on the other end helped control axle wrap - told us that "shock absorber" is a misnomer, it's actually an oscillation damper. Can't hurt!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend shocks on the rear. The recent thread where the chap put new shocks on the front eliminated the wheel hop and created a much better ride. This will also help eliminate tire cupping from the wheel hop. 2cents

GoHot229

I'd think you'd not have the speed in the gnarlies to ever have them actually function much....on the rear that is. Unless you drive like you stole it...? Most of the stuf that you'll likely encounter would be for slow speed manouvering I'd think. Other than a top/frame mount, it should be simple enough

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks