• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt on D rings

98taco3

Just got a new 2011 car trailer and it doesn't have any tie downs that i would feel safe tying a vehicle to. It has 6 welded on "5000lb" capacity d rings. Hardly what i would call secure or even remotely trust-able. I'm looking at the bolt on style D rings rated at 12k lbs breaking and 4k working load. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them and if drilling into the 5in channel frame will cause an issue with the frame? I'm planning on 4 a side for more versatility. I hate using stake pockets as tie downs and have seen them rip off of trailers before. Welding is fine but 2 1/2 in carriage bolts have to shear as opposed to welds braking. I will use grade 8 hardware. 1/2 in holes shouldn't cause much of a stress riser, usually small holes cause more of a problem with that.

These are like the tie downs i am looking at using, I was going to go buy locally at the trailer supply place though:

D Ring Hardware - D Rings Tie Downs - Trailer D Ring - D Ring Mount

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks