• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt on D rings

98taco3

Just got a new 2011 car trailer and it doesn't have any tie downs that i would feel safe tying a vehicle to. It has 6 welded on "5000lb" capacity d rings. Hardly what i would call secure or even remotely trust-able. I'm looking at the bolt on style D rings rated at 12k lbs breaking and 4k working load. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them and if drilling into the 5in channel frame will cause an issue with the frame? I'm planning on 4 a side for more versatility. I hate using stake pockets as tie downs and have seen them rip off of trailers before. Welding is fine but 2 1/2 in carriage bolts have to shear as opposed to welds braking. I will use grade 8 hardware. 1/2 in holes shouldn't cause much of a stress riser, usually small holes cause more of a problem with that.

These are like the tie downs i am looking at using, I was going to go buy locally at the trailer supply place though:

D Ring Hardware - D Rings Tie Downs - Trailer D Ring - D Ring Mount

Any thoughts?

Last edited: