• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Borrow a tow bar for a weekend ?

Timberwolf

Anyone around here have one i can borrow for a weekend ?
i need to tow my deuce to its new owner in philly.
I live in Manchester MD, 21102.

i would leave you a deposit or something so you know i would bring it back.
i dont need to buy one for a one time use thing.
but i will if i have to.

thanks guys.
-A.J.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
can someone send me a pic of the tow bar. i would love to have one or fabricate one at the shop any info would be great

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at the tech manuals section about 6 up from the bottom of the list is the manual for the medium towbar. It shows everything i think you would need to know to make one. If you need any other specifics let me know as I have one and I can give you any dimensions you need. I think the manual will show you all you need though.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I liked those pick like above and from your 5-ton ebay auction showing the 5-ton towing the 2.5-ton. It actually makes the deuce look small :)

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got it, looking in the wrong place, i think, are finding them expesive or just hard to find. that might not be to hard to fabricate

Timberwolf

its a very simple and effective piece of metal,
from what i found they are hoarded, and expensive if you do find one.
I had an offer to sell me one for $400.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Borrow a tow bar for a weekend ?

timntrucks said:
i got it, looking in the wrong place, i think, are finding them expesive or just hard to find. that might not be to hard to fabricate
There is really not to much to them, and even the military ones are not extremely well crafted. The new towbars that GL had for sale this week had some buggery ass welds on them. If you are making one for yourself make sure you make it as strong or stronger them the commercial/military versions as if it breaks on the road you and others may be hurt. The one I made for towing the CUCV will be destroyed once I upgrade as the liability is to great to sell or even pass on to a friend in my opinion.

Attachments

westfolk

RE: Re: RE: Borrow a tow bar for a weekend ?

Hey if any one wants. I'll take pics of mine. I made mine 15-20 years ago for about $30. Ring in the front. Two pieces of square tubing. Four pieces of flat steel bent on the ends to hook on the towed truck where the clevises go. One piece of steel as a crossmember. I have used this thing more times than I can think of. I have put many thousand miles on it. Still doing it's job. I modified it a little when I started pulling M35's, etc. I built to pull m135/M211's, etc.

westfolk

Yeah, give me a day or so and I'll put a few pics on of the thing. Then If anyone wants I can give some dimensions. As I recall about 13-14 years ago I pulled a modified M135 that was a tractor(M221,215?) that was hooked to a 40ft flatbed trailer that had an International TD-340 dozer on it. And seems like something else was on the trailer. Any ways ALLOT of weight..Moved the whole deal from one job to another, about 30 miles. I still have the same towbar.....I have got me money's worth out of that piece of steel. As soon as my EUC clears(which should be anyday) I'll be dragging my M52A2 home using the same old towbar. As a side note sometimes I throw a logging chain in between the trucks as my "safety" chain. It makes the cops, and DOT happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks