• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 1992 M998

tomelroy

That is a long drive! Be sure to post some pics and do a review on your new rig and any customized things plan b did to it.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long drive in a HMMWV. Have some good hearing protection and don't trust the fuel gauge when it gets low. Good luck and take some pics.

Mark

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a "plan B"?

desmodromic

Congrats, but as stated, that is a loooooooooooooong drive in a HMMWV. At the end of your trip, you are either going to really love it or really hate it :-D

Pack ear plugs and a rubber hemorrhoid ring. You'll need both!

Last edited:

Sintorion

My back aches at the thought of 2000 miles at 55mph. Although it would be nice to be deaf for a few days after getting home and not hearing my wife complain.

Belchfire

Do you have a "plan B"?
Lots of Tylenol, extra cushion, ear protection, and a spare can of fuel was already on my list. I have done similar things before. The worst was the '63 Vette we drove across country from Nellis AFB to Hershey in 1979. It was like Johnny Cash's famous home built Caddy. It was a 63,64,65,66,and 67 Vette. Only a couple of photos of that survived last years house fire.

Sintorion

It will be interesting to hear about how that Plan B product works out. We all buy from the same stock and they certainly charge a premium for what we can easily see what they are paying for the base product. Just looking at their site you are paying $30K for a truck they bought for $8K. They are probably into them for $11k with auction fees, transportation, etc. Cleaning it up and painting it, maybe another $2k in costs. Maybe another $1k in admin and carrying costs. That would put it about $15K in cost. If that is what they are selling for $30K, wow! I need to get into that market! Granted, you are not having to do all the leg work and wait out the 3 months it takes to get the paperwork straight, but still that is a healthy profit. Anything above $30k would make me wonder why someone would opt for a former military and not just jump on a civilian version. Slightly better creature comforts and much easier registration process with one of those.

Belchfire

It will be interesting to hear about how that Plan B product works out. We all buy from the same stock and they certainly charge a premium for what we can easily see what they are paying for the base product. Just looking at their site you are paying $30K for a truck they bought for $8K. They are probably into them for $11k with auction fees, transportation, etc. Cleaning it up and painting it, maybe another $2k in costs. Maybe another $1k in admin and carrying costs. That would put it about $15K in cost. If that is what they are selling for $30K, wow! I need to get into that market! Granted, you are not having to do all the leg work and wait out the 3 months it takes to get the paperwork straight, but still that is a healthy profit. Anything above $30k would make me wonder why someone would opt for a former military and not just jump on a civilian version. Slightly better creature comforts and much easier registration process with one of those.
I did the auction thing, years ago. I got a M1009 from GL. I then bid on, won, and paid for a M1008 from GL. I was cheated out of the truck, my money, and I had to use a Lawyer friend to get my money back. The woman at GL claimed she never heard of me, then claimed I had to cough up $350 to use the site. I still have all the correspondence from the exchange which exposes her lies. I can't even get the final paperwork for my M1009 due to this crap. No thanks, I'll just buy the Humvee from them.

tomelroy

There are a lot of companies that are buying surplus hmmwvs and customizing them. I personally love doing the work my self, but if you want it ready to roll, time is money. I love seeing customized hmmwvs.....lets see some pics of your new rig!

Belchfire

There are a lot of companies that are buying surplus hmmwvs and customizing them. I personally love doing the work my self, but if you want it ready to roll, time is money. I love seeing customized hmmwvs.....lets see some pics of your new rig!
I normally do my own work, but my house burned last June. All of my tools were gone. I am having a new barn built with a huge workshop for aircraft work, stalls for my goats, and 4 stalls for autos (and Humvee) with a lift in 1. I will post photos of that as well.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I normally do my own work, but my house burned last June. All of my tools were gone. I am having a new barn built with a huge workshop for aircraft work, stalls for my goats, and 4 stalls for autos (and Humvee) with a lift in 1. I will post photos of that as well.
Keep the goats away from the tools and the HMMWV. They'll eat anything! :)(They also climb on top of anything.)

PLEASE post some pics when you can.

Might I suggest a sprinkler system and fire detectors [EDIT - in the barn, not the HMMWV]? Not exactly cheap but sounds like you will have a lot to protect in there.

Congrats.

T

Last edited:

Katavic918

2k miles in a hmmwv? I would definitely do it if I had the time. If you can think of it...bring it. Keep us posted and lots of luck.

Bravojmc

My god dude! Have you ever heard of !!!capitalism!!! This is AMERICA!
If he wants to spend money on a Hmmwv from a company that buys them and does the waiting and the work to them, advertises and makes a decent product. I don't have any problem with a company making money or someone buying a machine that makes them happy! Crappy thing to even post IMHO...

Hope your Plan B Hmmwv is a good truck and you enjoy it, that's all that matters! Don't let anyone rain on your parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks