• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 1992 M998

Belchfire

I left Harrisburg on the 28th two hours late due to weather. The flight was extremely turbulent. We arrived in Chicago amid severe thunderstorms that spawned tornadoes. My connecting flight to Salt Lake was long gone. I had to pay for a hotel room and returned to O'Hare the next morning. They had bumped me off 1st class (I need the extra room for my screwed up knee), but a Navy Vet airline worker helped this USAF retiree get back on 1st class (even though there wasn't supposed be any available). I got to Salt Lake late that evening. The next day, I rented a foreign turd box to drive to Ogden.

At Plan B, I inspected my "new" toy, and bought a rear cargo cover and a bulkhead for behind the front seats. Of course the rear back killers were bolted down. There was a high back seat for the driver, 3 point belts, and a brush guard. The 24 to 12 volt converter was wired in. I have 1 line out of it that I put a power outlet on myself. I noticed a loud whine, but never having driven one before, I ignored it. I left the shop and hit a Walmart for trip supplies before returning to my Salt Lake city hotel room (I could see Michael Jordan's jet parked 200 yards away).

The next day it was 60 mph and multiple fuel stops to Las Vegas (I lived there in the late 70's at Nellis AFB). The following day south to Arizona, hang a left, and almost got me into New Mexico. A couple of days later with 70 mph cross winds, a prairie fire right next to the freeway, and many fuel stops got me to Shreveport La. I stopped at a Love's for fuel and Arby's. When I returned to the Humvee, I did my usual check underneath. There was a pool of fluid under the rear differential. Great! A roll back took me to a local off-road buggy shop. They checked it for me, and found a Texarkana surplus yard that had a NEW rear in a crate. More roll back time (same driver, who cut me a break on prices) to the new location, It was Thursday evening now. They tore it down, a weekend interrupted things, and they were done on Monday. My Humvee is still loud, of course, but quieter than before. Another day got me on track, but only 100 miles east of Shreveport. I finally hit the Florida pan handle late the following evening. I spent some time with a buddy from my old unit. Another day took me to Orlando. I picked up a small live steam locomotive and 2 cars that I had purchased previously. I then spent some time with 3 Canadian Snowbirds I know that have an Aircraft restoration shop there. I also had Plan B send me a heater motor while I was there (it was the wrong one, too big, but is the one everyone sells). I left Florida and home to Hershey 3 days later.

I found the Humvee to be comfortable with the high back seat. The ride wasn't bad and the brakes are great. The after market doors windows need larger openings for ventilation. It needs a front end alignment, as it ate a right front tire's outside edge. A replacement tire and a differential for compensation are inbound, free from Plan B. Other than the differential that they missed, all is fine. They DID replace o lot of stuff on it. I like it, and of course, won't be using it on the interstates for cross country trips. I have a 16 Z06 and a 30,000 mile Corvair Monza for that.

JAGWAH

Nice write up, and sounds like you made it a fun trip. I'm glad to hear you were able to work through all the issues, and ended up better than you started. Congratulations getting what you wanted home safe and in one piece.

orgnal

I left Harrisburg on the 28th two hours late due to weather. The flight was extremely turbulent. We arrived in Chicago amid severe thunderstorms that spawned tornadoes. My connecting flight to Salt Lake was long gone. I had to pay for a hotel room and returned to O'Hare the next morning. They had bumped me off 1st class (I need the extra room for my screwed up knee), but a Navy Vet airline worker helped this USAF retiree get back on 1st class (even though there wasn't supposed be any available). I got to Salt Lake late that evening. The next day, I rented a foreign turd box to drive to Ogden.

At Plan B, I inspected my "new" toy, and bought a rear cargo cover and a bulkhead for behind the front seats. Of course the rear back killers were bolted down. There was a high back seat for the driver, 3 point belts, and a brush guard. The 24 to 12 volt converter was wired in. I have 1 line out of it that I put a power outlet on myself. I noticed a loud whine, but never having driven one before, I ignored it. I left the shop and hit a Walmart for trip supplies before returning to my Salt Lake city hotel room (I could see Michael Jordan's jet parked 200 yards away).

The next day it was 60 mph and multiple fuel stops to Las Vegas (I lived there in the late 70's at Nellis AFB). The following day south to Arizona, hang a left, and almost got me into New Mexico. A couple of days later with 70 mph cross winds, a prairie fire right next to the freeway, and many fuel stops got me to Shreveport La. I stopped at a Love's for fuel and Arby's. When I returned to the Humvee, I did my usual check underneath. There was a pool of fluid under the rear differential. Great! A roll back took me to a local off-road buggy shop. They checked it for me, and found a Texarkana surplus yard that had a NEW rear in a crate. More roll back time (same driver, who cut me a break on prices) to the new location, It was Thursday evening now. They tore it down, a weekend interrupted things, and they were done on Monday. My Humvee is still loud, of course, but quieter than before. Another day got me on track, but only 100 miles east of Shreveport. I finally hit the Florida pan handle late the following evening. I spent some time with a buddy from my old unit. Another day took me to Orlando. I picked up a small live steam locomotive and 2 cars that I had purchased previously. I then spent some time with 3 Canadian Snowbirds I know that have an Aircraft restoration shop there. I also had Plan B send me a heater motor while I was there (it was the wrong one, too big, but is the one everyone sells). I left Florida and home to Hershey 3 days later.

I found the Humvee to be comfortable with the high back seat. The ride wasn't bad and the brakes are great. The after market doors windows need larger openings for ventilation. It needs a front end alignment, as it ate a right front tire's outside edge. A replacement tire and a differential for compensation are inbound, free from Plan B. Other than the differential that they missed, all is fine. They DID replace o lot of stuff on it. I like it, and of course, won't be using it on the interstates for cross country trips. I have a 16 Z06 and a 30,000 mile Corvair Monza for that.
Congratulations ! And thank you for the write up !

McReddy

Belchfire

Been busy. My Mom is in the hospital again, went to look at 3 small planes and bought 1, had a baby mini horse born to what the vet called a non pregnant mini horse, and still trying to catch up on deferred work around the farm. The Humvee has had a front and rear alignment, it's being driven frequently.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks