• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a Deuce but engine will not start.

Not sure if it was a good decision but I bought a M35A2. Price was 2k and it seems to be in good shape with the exception of the engine not starting. I checked the fuel system and the problem seems to be at the pump setup on the side of the engine. No fuel to the injectors. Not sure if its bad or something simple. The truck has sit for about 18 months without being started. Off hand I would guess it's something simple but would appreciate any advice for a vehicle that has sit. I paid 2k for the Deuce and hope I didn't get smoked. I almost forgot, the engine fired and ran with a shot of starting fluid but it was only for a few seconds. Sounded sweet but wish it would have lasted.

eagle4g63

First thing to do is bleed the filters on the drivers side of the motor......you will see the bleeders on the top of the filter housings, open the one farthest from the fire wall and turn on the main power switch and wait till you see fuel coming out close it then open the other one, same thing till fuel comes out the close it.......you can let it sit a few more minutes with the switch on and then try to fire it.

If the in tank pump isn't working this won't work, you wont get any fuel out the bleeders, also it might take a few minutes to get fuel up there so be patient at first.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drain the filters (petcock on bottom of all 3) and see what kind of crude is in them , most likely need changing .
Have you download the TM's ?
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf

LO9-2320-209-12-1.pdf

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf

TM9-2320-209-10-2.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-3.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-4.pdf

For more indepth service;
TM9-2320-209-20-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-2-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-2-2.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20P.pdf

TM9-2320-209-20-3-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-3-2.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-3-3.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-3-4.pdf

the rest of the deuce TM's are located here :
TM's for the Deuce

Last edited:

Kohburn

start with replacing fuel filters imo -
then check for the sound of the in tank pump and test pressure from it
then move on to the mechanical pump -

even if that is the problem you still probably got a decent deal.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you put a couple more gallons of fresh fuel in the tank. it never hurts to put more in incase the fuel pickup is set too high and you THINK you have enough fuel. I think we all including myself have over thought problems and it ended up being something simple. i agree with everybody else on the filters and such. it cant hurt. [thumbzup]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the fuel shut off is stuck in the off position.

These trucks do require regular maintenance. Download the FREE tech manuals and start reading.

m35a2cowner

All above are good suggestions. I would add check to see that the rod the stop cable is attached to is all the way in. Mine sticks in the shut down position (good anti-theft) regardless of what it looks like in the cab and the motor won't start until you push it in. Maybe yours is stuck as well. Also, these engines are different from newer diesel engines. Give it a bit of throttle while cranking. This might help (both of these possibilities are free) Good luck and enjoy it.

I'd say get yourself some silicone spray lubricant and give a 4-second shot into the intake under the cap, put the cap back on and give her a crank. When I ran dry, I poured in a 2 gallon can of fuel, but the lift pump wasn't working so it was taking battery killing time to get the fuel through the system with just the IP. I'd hoped the previous owner left a can of ether in the step box, but no dice. I remembered the spray lube I brought on the recovery trip was flamable so I gave her a big sniff and when I hit the go-button, she lit right off!
[thumbzup]

I worked on the truck again and cleaned the fuel line with air, checked the in tank pump, and changed the filters. I have decent fuel flow to the bleeder on top of the filters housing so I know I'm getting fuel at least to there. I loosened up a couple injector hoses and never did get any fuel to come out. When I loosened up the return line (I guess) on top of the injectors I did get a great stream of fuel out of it. The symptom is like there is no fuel being pumped from the high pressure pump. I checked the fuel shutoff on the pump and it was pushed all the way in. I also jiggled the rod in and out but it didn't help. Off hand I'd describe the problem as if the shut off valve is closed even though the rod will push and pull with ease. This truck has sat for over a year without being started. Also the bottom filter (frame) has been removed and the lines are connected with a Male/Male union. The truck is about 100 miles away so I need to make my attempts count. I would like to drive it back home and save the $500 tow bill. All help is greatly appreciated and I have scanned through the tech manuals.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

L999here

...just to get it home...

Might also think about placing a cheap, external, electric fuel pump from the tank to the injector pump. Sounds like no fuel is getting there. Another option....use another m35 to tow it home with a tow bar. Good luck....

Atomic

Talk sweetly to it or do all the above. I just replaced the fuel pump on mine. It was a hard starter so I removed the fuel pump to find the bottom plate had fallen off (common problem). I ordered an new pump and boom, she runs and starts good now.

Good luck, and talk sweetly to her.

212sparky

Check the rod in the HH is moving. I believe you remove the bolt in the center and insert a wood dowel and watch to see if it moves up and down.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, is it like spring loaded where the control rod on the outside can be pushed in but the actual shutoff not move inside maybe due to debris?
It is not moving due to it being gummed up. You will need to take it apart and clean it with carb cleaner to free up the "plunger sleeve" inside. This a common issue. We have seen it many times.

Some stick at full throttle and some stick in the off position.

DO NOT loose the small Plunger Sleeve Pin on the fuel rod!!!!

Check this thread to see the parts. Also read post #32

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/78640-stuck-full-throttle-multi.html

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The fuel shutoff plunger can move in and out without move the TRUE rod under that cover. Pull the cover off and see if that lever moves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks