• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a new turbo, but.....

dieselsmokem35a2

Hello Everyone!
I am a newbie here and this will be my first post. Been lurking in the background for over a year now. This sight is great and has made my Hobie of O.D. Iron a lot more fun!
So on with my question.....I recently bought a new turbo from TNJ Murray and got it in the mail yesterday. Needless to say I was happier than a kid on Christmas and savored every minute of unpacking the box. I am sure many of you can relate!? Anyway, I quickly realized that this turbo seemed much bigger than the old one. The pictures down below show the original and the new TNJ bought turbo. From what I understand (which isn't much these days) there is a "C" and a "D" turbo for these trucks. The "C" turbo was the first version and also the "Whistler". The "D" turbo came a little later and had lost it's whistle but gained you 10hp. Am I right so far? So my assumption is that since my old turbo has a loud and glorious whistle to it I have the "C" turbo and the one Memphis sent me is a "D" turbo? I asked the guy at Memphis and he said he never heard of a "C" or "D" turbo. Just that they have new/re-built turbos for the 2 1/2 ton trucks. So if this is indeed a "D" turbo will it bolt in place of the old one without any further mods? Will I need to adjust the Fuel? Will i lose my wonderful whistle completely? I love that whistle! Not sure I would trade my whistle for 10hp. Can you tell I love the whistle? Anyway, any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated! By the way, included a few extra pictures because I always enjoy seeing other peoples posts with lots of pictures.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a great looking Deuce, really clean.

Welcome to SS.

dieselsmokem35a2

Hello Bjorn,
I knew someone was going to ask that! I know I know, if it's not broke don't fix it! Well when I bought my Deuce a year ago I drove it from Alabama to Ohio with the Turbo not spinning and the fuel pump not working. If I only knew then what I have learned in the mean time! In any case. When I got it home I started thinking about all the posts I had read on here and how these trucks had such a nice whistle to them. After getting to know my new truck for the first 21 hours I realized I had no whistle. So I took the air intake tube off and stuck my finger in the turbo to see if it would spin. Egine off and cool of course! the wheel did not turn at first but after some serious poking with my finger and moving it fwd and backward I finally got it to rotate. Now a year later it does spin and whstle but the shaft also has a lot of play and ever since I found out that it was seized up for so long I wanted to get a new one. I guess I am just trying to replace as much of the mechanical components as I can so I know I will have a reliable and long lasting truck. It may work now but given it's history I figured I might as well replace what I can when I can afford it. I guess that whole "If it's not broke don't fix it" thing was a pearl of wisdom that for some reason never sank in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, first welcome to the site. What you have on the truck is a "C" turbo as you had assumed. The one you bought is a "D" turbo as you assumed. HP difference is debated but I doubt that you will feel any differece by the seat of the pants. They are a direct swap so you will have no issues changing turbos. You may be able to find a rebuilder for the "C" turbo. I would go ahead and swap them if there is shaft play, the last thing you want is for the turbo to spit a seal and empty the crankcase without you catching it. Fuel rate adjustment will not be necessary for the swap.

dieselsmokem35a2

Recovry4x4 said:
OK, first welcome to the site. What you have on the truck is a "C" turbo as you had assumed. The one you bought is a "D" turbo as you assumed. HP difference is debated but I doubt that you will feel any differece by the seat of the pants. They are a direct swap so you will have no issues changing turbos. You may be able to find a rebuilder for the "C" turbo. I would go ahead and swap them if there is shaft play, the last thing you want is for the turbo to spit a seal and empty the crankcase without you catching it. Fuel rate adjustment will not be necessary for the swap.
Thanks Kenny! That really helps me out and your knowledge is much appreciated. Now the only un-answered question is what about the whistle? Will that be totally gone with the "D" turbo? Never heard the difference myself. Anyone? Also, I have to correct myself. The new turbo came from TNJ Murray, not Memphis as I stated in the original post. Both companies by the way have been great to work with. I meant to ask, anyone in the North East Ohio area? Just curious if I have any OD nuts living around me and didn't know it. Thanks again guys.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NE Ohio? You have a few folks in the area. Stretch is somewhere near Mansfield. Amanco is a bit south and Oilcan is near Zanesville IIRC. Guess I forgot to answer that question. Yes, the whistle will be gone. The "D" has moore of a whoosh sound than anything. Some folks are irritated by the "C" after a while, I'm not one of them. I have a "C" on my tractor and it will hopefully be sold today. Hate to see the turbo go but what the heck. I did have some spare "C" turbos but swapped them all off, now I'll have no whistlers. Oh well! Oh, forgot to mention, there is a member locator map. Check the left column all the way to the bottom. Get yerself on there when you getta chance.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just looking at the map. For living in OH for 23 years, I sure goofed up on NE OH. None of these guys I listed are NE. Gimpy is a good guy to know too, always there to help! Right Gimp?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am one of those guys who doesn't like/miss/want/need the whistle. In fact, I prefer the muffled exhaust of a LD or a gasser. That being said, I'm sufficiently fat and lazy I won't change one to negate the whistle. I would however change one that has seized, in order to protect the engine.

You are making the right decision - given your desire for a reliable, long-lived truck - in replacing the turbo. Toward that end, I'd not recommend adjusting fuel rate, advance, etc. to try and utilize more boost.

DD

The D-turbo hardly does whistle. Sometimes you hear it a little spooling up or down.
My deuce has a C turbo, and my friends deuce has a D, and there is a huge difference as far as the sound is concerned.
Subjectivly I don't feel any difference in power or consumption between the two.

Great looking truck, congratulations!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about 1 1/2 south of you. Haven't had the deuce north yet, been all over the rest of the state. On a side note, one of the trucks I just picked up has a C turbo on a LDS motor.

Dennis

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd recommend getting a pyrometer and/or boost gage even if its just temp, to check the fuel setting/EGT.It is nice to know all is well. I added a used 'D" to a non-turbo LD. With a stack muffler a light whistle can be heard as it spools up. It easily pegged the 15psi gage, and had high EGT so a 1-1/3 turn less fuel adjustment was called for. I don't know much about the C/D differences. Your fuel should be close, but I check it out anyway .Better be safe than sorry, especially it you plan to work it hard.JimK

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez, I was just mentioning the LDS had a C turbo, not selling it! Thought it was interesting that they put the 2.5 ton turbo on the 5 ton motor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch, My LDS has a D turbo, deuce depot install.
btw, nice line up you posted the other day! Your wife must really like these trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of that happens Dennis. More often than not you will find the deuce turbos on the LDS motors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks