• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bought a USMC truck

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
lockers

When you turn a corner you can feel and hear the locker. The outside wheel, meaning if you are turning right it will be the left side tires will screach a little because it is turning the same speed as the inside tire (thus locker is working)
without a locker the wheels turn at different speeds in a turn, they turn the same speed with a locker.

flighht2k5

Banned
When you turn a corner you can feel and hear the locker. The outside wheel, meaning if you are turning right it will be the left side tires will screach a little because it is turning the same speed as the inside tire (thus locker is working)
without a locker the wheels turn at different speeds in a turn, they turn the same speed with a locker.
That sounds more like a spool than a locker. A locker with unlock in a turn and once you're straight again it will lock back up.

RIDDLE1

You can always lift the rear axle off of the ground and remove the rear drive shaft. Then take one side and spin it. If the tires on each side spin in the opposite direction it does not have a locker. If they both spin the same way however, you have a locker.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds more like a spool than a locker. A locker with unlock in a turn and once you're straight again it will lock back up.
From my short experience, the lockers would only unlock when I let off the throttle. So if I was making a turn with the my foot still on the gas, the lockers would stay locked.

Chain-Saw

I have a M923 that was re-built in '07 at MCLB Barstow and has the lockers. (see avatar pic). My truck has a warning placard on the drivers door that states: "CAUTION - This Vehicle is equipped with Detroit Locker / No Spin Positive - Locking differentials in rear axles..." Look for the placard, and you'll know. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:

jedawson1

my 1986 M923A1 has lockers in all 3 axles. I took it to a friends gravel container yard where they have a massive fork lift and chained it up. I put it in low and mashed the peddle, truck jumped up and down a few times I hit the brakes, took it out of gear, set the parking break and went to look... It made 6 equally deep holes in the gravel about 8" deep each. My tires do not make a sound around tight turns, but you can feel it dragging and binding, plus the steering becomes a little tight if you don't have any speed. The compound in my Goodyear 14R20's don't squeal, some tire brands do some don't. But I do leave black drag marks every time I make a tight tear. All 6 tires make a mark, not just the tandem.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seriously doubt that it came with lockers in the steer axle. Sounds more like the limited-slip kicking in.

sniperboy

These trucks come with a Detroit Locker in each axle. When not in 6 wheel drive they will allow a turn to be made using pins and springs which allow the locker to expand and slip. When going streight or in low 6 wheel drive they are locked up. I have the same thing in my jeep. They are great and don't wear out very quick. When they need rebuilding you can buy a kit that is really cheap. Just comes with the springs and pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks