• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden Winch

Rhodesia

I have a M37 1953 Dodge truck came with a Braden Winch system, a collector says I'm missing some items on her, I'm posting some pictures of the winch maybe someone out can tell me what I need, it does work. If I need the missing items can anyone help in locating what I need? Thank you

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes, that is an interesting combination of parts there. You are supposed to have left and right split bumpers, winch to bumper brackets 2 ea, the upper winch spacer bracket should be a sheet metal part, the clutch lever is home made, lifting shackle pins are wrong, and you are missing the proper end chain and hook. Visit the Vintage Power Wagons website for most of what you need. Someone will be happy to have your nice without winch bumper.

Last edited:

Rhodesia

looked at the catalog online and the split bumpers they sell are for different models of the M37, since mine is a 1953 how can you tell what model you have A, B, C, D, E and F etc etc, Data plate does not say what model of M37 I have. Just stamped U.S. Marine Corps. I assumed someone at one time took the split bumpers off and put on the strait bumper, I hate to buy the wrong split bumpers left and right.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From memory, you have "E" in the VPW catalog. On our site here, you might take advantage of down loading the books for your M37. About anything for an M37 will interchange with you '53, especially for the winch. Speaking of winches, the biggest detriment to them is a bolt, in place of the shear pin. The way that's cobbled, it would be the 1st thing I would check.

just me

All US M37s are E in the VPW catalog. The winch is an LU4. DO NOT USE CORN HEADER GREASE in your winch! DO NOT USE automotive gear oil in your winch. Use ONLY worm gear oil or you will do damage.
Are you trying to restore the truck or use the truck? A restoration would demand the correct bumpers, spreaders, levers, lead chain, etc. Just a usable truck, you can run what-cha'-brung.

Tuko

Anyone else notice the grease zerk on the driver side top? That's defenetly not right, probably full of it.

Rhodesia

Thank you for any help, I'm trying to restore it. She has a 24 volt system spare tire mounted in the truck bed I found it and it has been outside for a while and also a Barn car as they call it. It's a beast of a War Hog to drive I can tell you that, no power steering, I want to put a heater kit in it but can't find one as of yet. but for now I just want to restore it back the right way. right now I'm also looking for the window arms that you can open the windows with. I have two they are located in the middle of the window frame LH/RH. I'm missing the drivers side and passenger side. I also need to replace the drivers window is is broke the glass that is and the passenger side window is is cracked, the local glass/windshield company here in town will not touch it, they don't think they can replace the glass in it due to the way the frame is made. I was told they still make tires for these models, must be a special order because less Schawb (Tire company) told me good luck find them unless you find them in a military surplus yard. I have since retired from the Marines and with some foreign service in another country as well and I wanted to save this vehicle and enjoy trying to restore it. You will be surprised how many country's I have been to that still use these in their military and they look brand new, not like mine.

m37brat

Welcome to the disease. First off the tires are available in several tire companies even the big names like Firestone. I can't think of the names but I've bought them for my M170 jeep and saw several choices for the M37. If you have military shows in your area, that's a good place to find tires and various parts. I should have the door parts. I have an M43 parts truck that have a couple of rusty doors. Sent pictures of the parts you need and I will check what I have. Also, it sounds like your truck wasn't an original winch trucks. If it was on the data plate which will show it. It's the plate with the outline pic of the truck. You can buy new data plates on various sites. As for your missing winche parts, good luck. The split bumpers are very rare. The other parts may be available on some of the M37 parts sites but I never saw them. You need to get on eBay. These parts show up occasionally but they are pricey. I will check. I may have some of the snarl parts. My email is saweet01@ymail.com if you want to work directly.
Good like on your hunt, Jim

Rhodesia

Thank you, well I need the windshield arms that hold open the windshield I need the LH/RH drivers and passengers side, also I need a drivers window that the glass company will not touch because the way the drivers door frame is made go figure that's why they are in the window/Windshield making company, and I need a Master batter swtich that sits just below the passengers seat who ever had it before was using a pair lock wrench to turn it on and off. here are the pictures, thanks for any input.M37 master swtich.JPGm37 drivers window.JPGM37 window knobs.JPG

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, Jim!

These trucks are fun and easy to restore (but not necessarily cheap; you'll find that shipping costs are the deal killers).

Patience is a most valuable virtue with these trucks. There is lots of help on this site and you will develop a network of sources and vendors.

I've had my truck for 37 years and have restored it twice (I wore it out running up and down mountains & forests were I live). If you think there is anything I can help you with let me know. My contact information is below.

Don't panic on the windows. The shop you are dealing with just doesn't want to do them. They are all flat glass, the front windshields slide out independently of the frame. The frame around the pieces of glass are probably rusty, so that maybe a little hard to remove, but it can be done.

Read the manuals, and remember these trucks are pretty simple, but labor intensive (draft labor at the time they were made, so no shortage). I was in the Army from '68 to '71 so they were still using these when I was a kid. They are a tough little truck; more like a tractor than a truck.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey!

skkc@frontier.com

Rhodesia

Thank you for the welcome, now if I can just get the canvas cover to fit I will be ok for now, I bought it brand new repro of course, allot of people told me to let it sit in the sun to heat it up and then it SHOULD fit, if there is an easier way please tell me, it looks like if I take down that bar that holds up the back canvas would work, it seems to be a show stopper when trying to fit the top, but the bar is not adjustable to do that. All I can say is that this a Beast to drive, My uncle told me that the South Viet Nam Army soldiers would drive these and they were about 5 feet tall and they got a laugh out of them trying just to steer these War Hogs.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARVN's were rough on everything as a general rule.

Remember, these trucks were mostly driven by 17, 18 & 19 year old kids back in the day. They usually weren't used to power steering either back then. So there is that. Also, I've noticed that the older I get the harder the truck is to steer at slow speeds. I'm sure that adding square shouldered Superlug tires by STA had nothing to do with it and being 65 years old and fat instead of 18 years old and lean is also irrelevant . There just must be something wrong with the steering (sarcasm). What's weird is that it is so much easier to steer off road (where it was meant to be driven).

Keep the top inside where it is warm, especially near a warm area of a business with a kitchen or something (if you access to one). Oregon, like Washington, can be cold and damp.

A thought on your winch, is to find a good industrial or commercial truck gear shop and see if they would go through your winch. Braden dealer will still rebuild them too. John at Midwest Military is another good source for information and parts. Always compare prices.

Good Luck, read the manuals and ask questions.

Rhodesia

Thank you I will, I'm thinking since it is a former marine corps truck maybe they added it on, I spent 22 years in the corps. you be amazed what we would add on military vehicles that were not supposed to be on, I was a Tanker on the old M48 tanks that had the 90mm gun and when we needed a fender we would cut up a 55 gallon empty drum and make a fender out of it. The date plate for the M37 has the side view of the truck and the back view of the truck has a picture of a winch but nothing stamped saying it was added to the truck but looking over the truck it looks like it came with the vehicle for a long time. I have priced some of these winch for the M37 on eBay and for the one I have they are asking around $4,000 dollars for them, and they look worse than mine, what makes these so expensive than the Warn winch's?

m37brat

Thank you I will, I'm thinking since it is a former marine corps truck maybe they added it on, I spent 22 years in the corps. you be amazed what we would add on military vehicles that were not supposed to be on, I was a Tanker on the old M48 tanks that had the 90mm gun and when we needed a fender we would cut up a 55 gallon empty drum and make a fender out of it. The date plate for the M37 has the side view of the truck and the back view of the truck has a picture of a winch but nothing stamped saying it was added to the truck but looking over the truck it looks like it came with the vehicle for a long time. I have priced some of these winch for the M37 on eBay and for the one I have they are asking around $4,000 dollars for them, and they look worse than mine, what makes these so expensive than the Warn winch's?
I know the marines did some crazy things. I saw some of the equipment they had in Vietnam. I don't think these changes were done by the corps. I think some guy had the truck and jerry riged it to the truck. The original winch is pto driven. I'm not sure you will get a warn winch to hook up. I suggest you try to find the correct parts. I will help if I can. They are out there. I would check with Bob at Veteran Vehicles. He has an internet site and may have some of the parts you need. If he is still in business he will treat you fair. I will also see if I can find the sites to check for parts and tires.

m37brat

You should check the pictures on this site. You should be able to get some good pictures of a correct winch. Unfortunately I have an M37B1, an M43 and an R2 all with winches but I don't have any good pictures on this site.

m37brat

Here are a few sites to check out.

Vintage Power Wagan - says he has the left winch bumper, and most of the mounting parts. He even makes the frame extensions if you need them. They run $150 a set which sound high but if you fine some original parts they would cost much more.

Midwest Military - he actually makes many parts

Adirondack Dodge - not sure what he has but worth a check

For tires just search fo NDT military tires. You will find a to of dealers. One is Coker Tires. I hope this helps.

RAT

VPW is a good parts source, so is Midwest.
These are great little trucks (but I am partial)
Lots of good help on this site.
Also welcome!

Rhodesia

I found the data plate says Truck Cargo 4x4 M37 W/Winch contractor USMC now all I need is the two left and right split bumpers one collector could not believe I had a strait bumper on there and still work the winch. I did call a couple of places that do sell the split bumpers but no luck and told me good luck in finding a pair.

Rhodesia

Thank you for the welcome, really. This is my retirement project I will be hitting everyone up for questions and answers, My M37 is not a rust bucket, so that's a good thing but did sit in a Barn for about 4 years. I'm going to have to wait until it gets real sunny and Hot here in Oregon in order to put the canvas top on, Say I would like to install the spare tire mount on the drivers door anyone knows of anyone having one for sale or a surplus company that's has them please let me know. I'm also looking for the hot water heater kit that mounts to the drivers fender. Again thanks for the welcome.