• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake bleeding doesn't seem to be going as planned

Crawdaddy

Last week I replaced all the brake hoses on the deuce, and today I tried to bleed the brakes. I first bled the airpack by hand (hanging off the brake pedal) and all seemed fine. I then went to the rear right tire and started vacuum bleeding the brakes. After pulling 12-16 oz out of the rear right bleeder, refilling the master cylinder after every 3 oz, I didn't seem to be getting anywhere. There's still tons of air in the lines it seems, and I'm still on the first brake. Am I doing something wrong that's keeping me from sucessfully bleeding the line? I know I could just build a pressure bleeder, but I don't have a spare master cylinder cap to destroy just to make a bleeder.

Seth_O

Make a pressure bleeder. It doesn't destroy the cap, everything screws together and can be put back to original when you are finished. I bled my brakes in about 20-30mins with the pressure bleeder and got rock-hard brakes. That's a bobbed deuce, but still, that's a heck of a lot faster and easier than doing it by vacuum (not sure how well a vacuum bleeding system will work with the airpack - never tried it) or pumping the brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manual bleeding a deuce is an arduous task. Do the pressure bleeder. Can be built for $20 in basic form.

DieselBob

I have to agree with these gentlemen about using a pressure bleeder. I have tried to use a vacuum bleeder on several different vehicles and have never been happy with the results. I got a pressure bleeder when I did the brakes on my deuce and man does it make life easy. 2cents

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never do deuce brakes again unless I use a pressure bleeder. It makes it alot easier!

rlwm211

Although I seem to manage without a pressure bleeder fine,

I would say from experience Vacuum bleeding does not work, PERIOD.
Too much volume to effectively pull the fluid.

I use the old hose in a clear bottle from the bleeder method as I work alone
and generally do not have help.

I understand the pressure bleeder and realize it is likely
the bee's knees for such adventures but have yet to build one.

Then again, my brakes are completely rebuilt and work well.

Maybe the next time....

RL

Crawdaddy

Today I bought a sprayer and the fittings I thought I needed to build the bleeder. Apparently, the cap is not a 1/4 NPT. I'm taking the vent to the store tommorow to try to find the right barb to NPT fitting tommorow. Hopefully I can get this right so I can get to bleeding the brakes.

Crawdaddy

Well, I'm a believer now. I assembled the bleeder, dumped DOT5 into it, pumped it up, and had all the brakes bled in less than an hour. Now I have a rock hard pedal, though I still need to road test it. I ran out of time tonight.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news!

I bet before, you were seeing bubbles of air that were being drawn in around the threads of the bleeder.

Pressure bleeding does work nicely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks