• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake shoes

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brake adjusters are will spin 360. pads must be low right?
I'd say so if your adjusters are working properly.

There is a guy in Nashville that relines shoes and has very resonable prices. I'll see if I can find his number and shoot you a PM.

I just got him to reline four shoes off a "B" model Mack. Every other place I talked to said that you couldn't find the material or new shoes (even checked with Mack). This guy said "no problem" and relined them while I waited. Total cost for four shoes was $78 and they are close to three times as big as deuce shoes. This guy lives and breathes brake and clutch linning. When I say breathes, it's lucky he's still alive for as long as he's been working with brake linning and breathing the dust :-D.

yeager1

I just got him to reline four shoes
I wonder if he could use a higher then stock friction material? That guy could make a fortune if he could improve the deuce's braking 20%... I know that many state police departments put high friction pads on all their cars the day they are delivered, they get 20% better brakes and the wear is 20% faster- sounds like a fair trade to me.

offroadchev

Banned
Finally something I can actually help you all with. I too agree that $300 is to high for new brake shoes all the way around. Saturn surplus has relining kits for $28.50 an axle, thats 4 shoes. Heres the number
M35
2530-01-217-8427
$28.50
S1-6

Saturn Surplus
I have ordered a kit and will post how it goes. I have already driled my old rivets out.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be a dumb question but would anyone ever consider using used shoes if they had let's say 80% pad left?

dittle

As long as you had a full set per axle it shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't want mismatched pads per axle.

rizzo

This might be a dumb question but would anyone ever consider using used shoes if they had let's say 80% pad left?
I may try. Taz is bringing the shoes he took off his rocks to my bog. I'm gonna measure and see how close they are to new. I may throw a pinion brake on for this bog.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how much that is and what is involved in putting them on.
For do-it-your-self “re-liners” like me, here is some info that I think might be useful.
Also there is a company called Hanson Rivet in CA, they offer a huge selection of rivets and riveting tools:

See their rivets on page Brake Lining Rivets - Hanson Rivet.com
The steel rivets that normally come on the M35 shoes are tubular (150º) countersunk .47” diam. head, 3/16” shank (nominal body diam.) and L= approx. 9/16”. That would be part#8-9 in their catalog.
Obviously the head of the rivets is what determines the countersink drill bit size and shape you’ll need to drill the linings. You can fab your own tool starting from a std. drill bit. All you need is a 3/16”x min ½” long center guide and have it sharpened to approx. 150º.

Put the lining in place (held with vise-grips or similar) and drill all the way trough from the back side using a 3/16” bit. Then comes the countersinking down to approx. 1/3 of total lining thickness. Have an arbor drill with depth adjustment to do it correctly.

Now for the riveting process itself: back to page Hanson Riveting Hammers - Hanson Rivet.com If you already have an air hammer, all that’s needed is their CA1102-16 or -17 bit for the roll clinching process. I think the -17 (5.5” long) is better for guidance IMO.
Otherwise they also have hand clinching tools. Part# HT-171 would be the correct one.

Once you have the tools relining is like welding: practice … makes the master!

Ah, and don’t forget to chamfer the lining ends!

G.

Edit: Rivet size was changed to 7-6; also the source... See this post for an update, here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/63034-brake-lining-thickness.html#post1031896

Last edited:

TommyG45

A while back there was a thread regarding relining shoes. A member was going to give it a go.

Does anyone know what became of it? I guess I'll have to do some searching tonight.

Lance

That may have been me Lance, my shoe linings are resting comfortably behind my couch in the sun room where my wife stuffed the box. Once it dries up a bit, it's a project I have planned prior to putting 5 tons of bio fuel pellets in the back.

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so where is the best place to send the shoes for relining?

im in Birmingham, AL..

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
local guy here in birmingham wants $150 to reline 4 of them.... RELINE them, not new... WTF!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks