• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

targhee trucks

That really dosnt sound right.
I'm glad to hear that, because when I saw it I thought the same thing.

When I looked at the little blue and silver tag on the top of the alt yesterday I saw 12V 40A Motorola. But, I've been wrong before, so I'll double check it today.

Jack

targhee trucks

I'm glad to hear that, because when I saw it I thought the same thing.

When I looked at the little blue and silver tag on the top of the alt yesterday I saw 12V 40A Motorola. But, I've been wrong before, so I'll double check it today.

Jack
I got wondering if I imagined it, so I went back out there this morning and looked again. Yes, the little blue and silver tag says Motorola, 12V, 40A. I took a picture w/ my phone, but it still hasn't forwarded:mad:.

So, please post if you can shed some light on this.

Jack

steelypip

Maybe they were running it on battery only and the alternator was just there to give the belt something to wrap around? I've seen things like that on other occasional-use farm trucks.

OTOH, it got parked for some reason. Charging system problems would qualify.

BikerBi11

I am seeing a few things that look like they may be 12 volt, turn sugnals on the fender, the turn signal actuator (blinker unit). You may look at the head lights and see if they are 12 volt as well. Just a thought.

targhee trucks

Steelypip: I'm thinking the same kind of thing, using 24v batteries for starter & fuel pump then recharging batteries at night.

BikerBill: I see the same things, gauges, etc. may be 12 volt off the alternator. I'll have to track down some wires and see what the 12 volt is connected to.

Danl

Danl M915A1

Steelypip: I'm thinking the same kind of thing, using 24v batteries for starter & fuel pump then recharging batteries at night.

BikerBill: I see the same things, gauges, etc. may be 12 volt off the alternator. I'll have to track down some wires and see what the 12 volt is connected to.
Look up Lance Robson He Has a 24 Volt solar carging system for 60 bucks that might be jest the thing you need. He is a member here on SS

targhee trucks

Series Parallel Switch

I've done some more checking on the 12V alt question and I think I may have found the answer.

There is a series parallel switch installed in the battery box of the truck.

Here's a link to a short article that describes this type of switch:

http://www.truckt.com Parallel Battery Switch

Here's a link that includes a picture of one:

SERIES PARALLEL SWITCH, 12/24V, 2-STAGE

I have a picture of the one on the truck in my phone and as soon as it forwards I'll be able to post a picture of the actual one in the truck. I'm guessing that the switch in the truck is set up to send 24V to the starter and fuel pump and also charge both of the batteries.

I still don't have a complete understanding of how this switch works, so we'll see whether or not it is the answer to the question . . .?

Last edited:

targhee trucks

Here's the actual switch in the truck

The picture just came through, here it is:

m35a2 series parallel switch in batt box.jpg

This is attached to the frame above the battery box. Is it a standard part on all trucks?

caliber1

I don't think it is standard. If I read the one article correctly, you would only have 24 VDC when the starter solenoid is engaged. So as soon as you let off the button, the fuel pump wouldn't get any voltage. Hmm, wish I were there, I love troubleshooting stuff like this. [thumbzup]

targhee trucks

If I read the one article correctly, you would only have 24 VDC when the starter solenoid is engaged. So as soon as you let off the button, the fuel pump wouldn't get any voltage.
Yeah, I saw that too, makes me wonder if the switch is somehow set up to provide constant 24V to the fuel pump. I'll be putting batteries in later this week, we'll know something then.

tstone

I bought one of those switches from J C Whitney back in the 80's. I used it to switch 2 batteries into a series circuit for starting; this would double the voltage to make starting easier on a older engine. Returning the switch to normal put the batteries in parallel for proper charging. The vehicles system was never switched out of the factory 12v as all of these connections were terminated on the primary battery at 12v.

targhee trucks

Drained the fuel tank yesterday.

Hooked up the batteries for the first time, got pretty sparks when I touched the final ground cable to the battery post. Need to check into that a bit more.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all the switches are off, and you are still getting sparks, you may have a voltage drain (short) somewhere. That could be from a bad wire or even through an electrical component like the alternator. When you see sparks, I would assume that means something is feeding current back through the frame and completing the circuit when you attach the ground cable. 2cents I have the same problem. I don't have major sparks, just minor ones when I hook up the ground cable. If I leave it hooked up when the truck is not running, it drains the batteries. As soon as I get time I'll just have to start unhooking things one at a time to see what is causing the voltage leak. Sounds like you may have to do that process of elimination. Good Luck!