• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

Clay James

Are you planning on ever taking it on the road? The wheel cylinders will be completely full of gunk and rust. I've had a few of those really stuck brake lines when I did my A2. On the 109 I just put a good amount of PB Blaster on every fitting that needed to come off and it's lived up to the hype so far.

targhee trucks

Are you planning on ever taking it on the road? The wheel cylinders will be completely full of gunk and rust. I've had a few of those really stuck brake lines when I did my A2. On the 109 I just put a good amount of PB Blaster on every fitting that needed to come off and it's lived up to the hype so far.
On the road? Hope so. If all goes well it will be hauling grain and potatoes this harvest season.

But I am definitely a "safety" guy. Especially where brakes and steering are concerned. It won't be used unless it's right. I'm quickly running out of time to work on it, so if it's not ready for this year, then it'll wait until next year.

But, I've been amazed at how many of the systems on the truck work so well with so little effort after sitting for so long.

So, I can't help being a little curious to see how far I have to go to get the brakes working.

PB Blaster? I should own stock in that company, use a lot of it. But for really stubborn stuff, nothing works better than "heat + hose + vice grips". The hose is there for two reasons. First, it's there to put out the fire so you don't burn down your truck/shop/house when you set something ablaze you didn't intend to. ("What's that you say honey, you smell smoke? Don't worry, it's just a small fire. I've got it under control" :-D) Second, "heat + quench" is a great way to break that rust free.

Local parts house was out of brake line. Ordered some, it'll be in tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rubenk

I'm sure you already know as you seem quite versed in the subject, but the brake fluid systems were originally DOT 5. And DOT 3 and 5 do NOT mix or even play nice at all.

targhee trucks

I'm sure you already know as you seem quite versed in the subject, but the brake fluid systems were originally DOT 5. And DOT 3 and 5 do NOT mix or even play nice at all.
Thanks for mentioning DOT 5![thumbzup] I'd read that DOT 5 is the spec, and I thought about that as I was getting ready to work on the brakes. I'm pretty sure that even if the truck arrived here w/ DOT 5, it probably didn't stay that way because I don't think they would have paid for it. :) So, I checked w/ a neighboring farmer who is also an MV collector. He's been a good source of advice. He agreed. He said he hadn't seen any of these old military trucks that still had DOT 5 in them.

So, I'm using DOT 3. Whether I'm able to get the brakes working as is or have to rebuild/replace parts, I will probably end up flushing things out more than once.

I'll let you know how good of a guesser I am when I get to the point that I can get some fluid to bleed out of the system.:wink:

Last edited:

Rubenk

Sounds good! I know alot of guys switch over to Dot 3 when they do a complete brake system overhaul.

I have a line on cheap DOT 5, 30$/gal so I will be sticking with it.

targhee trucks

Update: the brakes work!

This truck continues to amaze me. When I got started on the brakes I thought I'd have to take the system apart and repair or replace the major components. Instead, I tapped on the master cylinder to free it up, found and repaired several leaks, bled the system, including the air pack, and the brakes worked. I can hear and feel the brakes on all 6 wheels expanding and contracting when the pedal is pumped.

We bled the brakes this afternoon and took it for it's first real drive. It was a short one, less than a mile, but the brakes worked, nothing leaked and no wheels locked up.

Now, I know that as we use it we may find that things need to be fixed, but to have it start up, run and stop the way it has is incredible.

I may go out in the morning to find no pedal pressure and leaking brake fluid everywhere.

I'm going to flush the brake system again tomorrow to be sure that I've got new fluid throughout the system and double check all the gear cases. Then we'll take it for it's first extended drive in over 30 years.

targhee trucks

We all are very proud of you on your resurrection... We all love the the story and just can't get enough of it.... keep it coming.
Thanks! I've enjoyed working on this truck as much as any project I've ever done. Great feeling of satisfaction getting it back into functional condition. Couldn't have done it without all the good help from all on Steel Soldiers!

My time to work on the trucks will be very limited from this point on. I'll continue to post updates when we're able to make some progress.

targhee trucks

First drive video

We took the truck for it's first drive yesterday. What a blast! I like everything about this truck, the sight, the sound and the smell!

Actually (thanks to my wife!) this is three videos together as one. It begins with the video we took of the trees before we started working on it, then a short segment of the video we took when we first drove it out of the trees and finally a short clip from yesterday's drive down the county road by the farm.

1966 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Out of the Trees and Down the Road 0001 - YouTube

targhee trucks

This story is not something one sees everyday, as it sure is an amazing one.

Post more pics, so we all can see a bit more...:shock:
Thanks, it is an amazing story. It's an amazing truck! For it to sit as long as it has and then, without any major repairs, be running down the road, is, well, "Amazing!". I'm feeling very fortunate to have been involved with it.

(By the way Danger Ranger, I spent 6 seasons as an NPS law enforcement ranger at Grand Canyon, and, I also attended ISU. That's Idaho State University.) :)

Last edited:

targhee trucks

The $$$$$$ Question

I'm curious to know what you think this truck might be worth. I know there will be a range of answers, that's okay, I'd just like to hear what you think a reasonable price is in the current market.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious to know what you think this truck might be worth. I know there will be a range of answers, that's okay, I'd just like to hear what you think a reasonable price is in the current market.
I can give you an EXACT answer to that question....

It is worth precisely what a WILLING BUYER will pay to a WILLING SELLER - - - NO more, NO less !

:shock:

SSG ALBANESE

Awesome. I just read each post start to finish. Great resurrection of your Deuce. Great job. Love the black smoke on the extended drive. This post will help me stay motivated through the weekend’s project. I am glad to know people can still "feel" for our history and this work horse of a truck. Good stuff. Now before hauling potatoes and such mount a 50cal up top : ) helps cut down anymore trees that may get in your way.

targhee trucks

I can give you an EXACT answer to that question....

It is worth precisely what a WILLING BUYER will pay to a WILLING SELLER - - - NO more, NO less !

:shock:
You are so right. We've bought and sold a lot of old stuff over the years and in the end, when the talking is done, that's the final answer.

I've been trying to keep my son-in-law informed of potential values for his stuff. And, I'm trying to decide how WILLING a buyer I might be. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks