• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing my M1009 home

Timber

I got pretty lucky with my EUC paperwork, the invoice came back in 14 days. Not too shabby, I was thinking I wouldn't see the truck until January or so.

This is one I bought at the Camp Shelby, MS auction and was listed as 'does not run'. I checked online and I can get a tandem axle car trailer with surge brakes from Uhaul for about $55 a day. I'm not sure if the trailer has a winch on it or not but I do have a tug-em strap and come-along that might help me get the truck on the trailer. My tow truck is my Z71 Suburban. Not ideal for the job, but I'm confident it'll do fine as long as I keep it slow and steady.

My biggest concern is getting the dead truck on the trailer. Has anyone else used the Uhaul car trailer to haul a vehicle?

Thanks.

91W350

I have and the surge brakes cost me a little extra. I towed a Chevelle from Western PA to central KS with a Toyota 4Runner. Not ideal either. We were in the Gary IN area just east of the Chicago mess when the big pile up happened in front of us. It was one of those slide into the tire smoke deals and the trailer brakes actually locked up, the 4Runner did not.

I am glad I rented the trailer, when I got home the right spindle was stripped, the only thing holding the hub on was the cotter key.

I drove the old Chevelle up on the trailer. Having used a come along or ratchet straps to load a M1009 sized vehicle (a short bed Chevy 4x4 Pickup) before, I can tell you that is a lot of work. It can be and has been done, but it is an arm and shoulder killer....maybe I needed a larger come along....

Your Suburban is awesome compared to a 4Runner. Your vehicle has decent weight and a long wheelbase. I would gladly do that and not look back. Glen

pgwaldner

I got pretty lucky with my EUC paperwork, the invoice came back in 14 days. Not too shabby, I was thinking I wouldn't see the truck until January or so.

This is one I bought at the Camp Shelby, MS auction and was listed as 'does not run'. I checked online and I can get a tandem axle car trailer with surge brakes from Uhaul for about $55 a day. I'm not sure if the trailer has a winch on it or not but I do have a tug-em strap and come-along that might help me get the truck on the trailer. My tow truck is my Z71 Suburban. Not ideal for the job, but I'm confident it'll do fine as long as I keep it slow and steady.

My biggest concern is getting the dead truck on the trailer. Has anyone else used the Uhaul car trailer to haul a vehicle?

Thanks.
Hey Timber,
I live in Prattville. I have a u-haul brand trailer you can use for your recovery. I can show you how to get your truck loaded with a come along as I have done this several times. I have hauled a K5 blazer on this trailer with no problem. Your suburban should handle the job with no problem as the trailer has brakes. My cell number is 782-8668 and my home phone is 730-4835.
Glenrofl

Timber

Got it home today. First off, big thanks to pgwaldner for letting me borrow his trailer. It towed perfectly. I was towing with the cruise off, so there were a few times I found myself running ahead of the pack on the interstate at 75+ before I noticed and backed off. I've never towed a trailer with surge brakes and was more than pleased with how well they worked. That was the ticket.

The truck wasn't so good. Not bad, not great - the sort of stuff you expect buying blind with only eight small pictures online. Two small spots of floorboard rust-through and some dents in the passenger side door that weren't in the pictures. On the plus side, it had a key in it and two stout batteries - when the glow plug light went out it busted off like a daily driver. All the lights work, the 4wd works perfectly. This is a big plus because the truck was listed as non-running.

It's home and in the driveway, now I get to fill out an SF97 and wait. Overall, a very good experience.[thumbzup]

davidkroberts

glad you had a successful pickup, all in all your m1009 was probably in better shape than most. Your runs and had good batteries that almost never happens to me. The dents and dings are normal. The rust through is easily fixed with some fiberglass and resin and topped with some herculiner. im not sure how much history you've had with CUCV's but you might want to convert the starter relay and switch to a manual glowplug system. Thats about the only real issues ive had with them. Best 30 dollars worth of parts and two hours you'll ever spend

Timber

I'll add some pics tomorrow, but it's nothing to look at. The paint is faded down to the green. I forgot to mention I was also pleasantly surprised the rear drive-shaft is straight and good.

I've seen the relay mod mentioned several times but haven't looked at it yet. I wanted to pick it up and get it home to see what I have first. Honestly, I'd rather have dead batteries and a bent drive-shaft than rust-through and dents. Body work is more expensive. But at least it runs. And if the fuel gauge is actually working, it has a full tank.:wink:

mistaken1

ive never had a vehicle from GL that didnt have some rust and dents. I thought that was normal

If GL receives a vehicle without dents or rust they are obligated to make some dents and park it out back until the rust appears before selling it. I think that requirement is written into their contract with uncle sugar. :)

Timber

This is a nice truck. Everything appears to be working as it should. The speedometer is a little erratic, so I'll replace the plastic gear, but the rest seems to be good. I did get skeptical about the fuel gauge (what are the odds they'd sell it full of fuel?) so I was thinking that it was more likely I'd have to chase down a bad ground. I stopped today to put $10 in just to be safe and I almost didn't get that 3.3 gallons in, it really is full. I do need to shim the starter out a little, it makes a terrible screech like it is now, but thankfully the engine fires up quickly. Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

Timber

Also, the two antenna mounts, the radio mount, and the circle thing on the front bumper is coming off - don't want them or need them. I do need three shackles.

EDIT: The pintle is going as well. I want a regular Class III hitch and the license plate to go where it should so I won't be needing it.

Last edited:

mf5129

i have used this trailer prior to purchasing a tow dolly with no problems.there will be somebody at drmo that will probably help you push it on with a lift if necessary.i use an old truck tire for this.its easy and no damage yet.a 2 ton comealong a piece of chain for a ancor will also work fast. i tow a lot.the 71 is a decent tow rig.i use a 2500 with a 6.2 easily