• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke an axle, now what ?

Biggles

I have a ff 14 bolt that I'm on the fence about whether to sell or save it for my M1009. It's 4:10 gears. I think the reason I'm hesitant is because I don't have a matching front. I either need to buy another axle or sell this one. And I know how my wife will feel on the issue.

skateabrock

Anything in a suburban will bolt in to a blazer but for 1 ton axles you will have to move the spring perches. Springs are a different width also.
ALL 1973 to 1987 chevy springs are the same! width(2.5") and length(46"), i have never heard of moving spring perches, i just swapped a dana 60 into a friends 74 blazer and it was a direct bolt it, the axle came from a 1986 crew cab 1 ton.

the only difference between a d60 and a 10 bolt/ 12 bolt or d44 (other than the obvious size difference) is that the d60 uses 3 ubolts and 2 studs where as the d44 and 10 bolt/12 bolt use 4 ubolts. All Pickups, Blazers, and Suburbans between those years are fairly interchangeable.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go with a 1 ton you have to go with 8 lug wheels. If you go with a 70's half ton you will get a 12 bolt with dana 44 front and it should be a direct bolt in with the possible exception of u-joints.2cents

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALL 1973 to 1987 chevy springs are the same! width(2.5") and length(46"), i have never heard of moving spring perches, i just swapped a dana 60 into a friends 74 blazer and it was a direct bolt it, the axle came from a 1986 crew cab 1 ton.

the only difference between a d60 and a 10 bolt/ 12 bolt or d44 (other than the obvious size difference) is that the d60 uses 3 ubolts and 2 studs where as the d44 and 10 bolt/12 bolt use 4 ubolts. All Pickups, Blazers, and Suburbans between those years are fairly interchangeable.
The rear springs can be different. They can be up to 56 inches long. I will also guess the widths can be different though I am not 100% on that. I realize we are talking front axle but try finding a HD axle for the front in 3:08. It will be cheaper to swap them out in a set.

Last edited:

skateabrock

The rear springs can be different. They can be up to 56 inches long. I will also guess the widths can be different though I am not 100% on that. I realize we are talking front axle but try finding a HD axle for the front in 3:08. It will be cheaper to swap them out in a set.
your right about the rear, they are all 2.5" wide but come in a variety of lengths, 52", 56", etc.

a lot of people put the 52" springs up front and get excellent suspension travel.

motormayhem

Get a 3/4ton 14 bolt and D44 or 1 ton Dana 60 front D60/14 bolt is bullet proof D44/14 bolt is ok. The 3/4 ton stuff will just bolt right in and with a conversion u-joint your done. Even the front break calipers from your 10 bolt will bolt on a D44.

2deuce

I forgot to add shock mount location will be different too on the 1 ton CUCV. You can find 14 bolt ff from 3/4 ton pickups that will bolt in a m1009, but suburban 3/4 ton axles are everywhere cheap. Take your tape measure, get the measurements for yourself, don't buy 1st, measure later and rely on what you read.2cents

Johnn Bravo

Thanks for all the replies, didn't think this would make it to 3 pages.
Well I tried to fix it myself, didn't work. I can't get the broken axle end to move so I can get to the c clip, so for the time I'm giving up on just changing the broken axle.

So now I guess I'm exploring axle options, which brings a few more questions.
I take it I'm safe in thinking that if I get a bigger axle, that the center section of the stock wheels will be too small to fit the new axle so I'll end up having to get new wheels ?
I'd like to gear it lower to try to get some more power, would plan on staying with 31" to 33" tires, I was thinking between 3.42:1 to 3.73:1. What would be a good ratio to have, and would it make more sense to regear the front or just get a new axle ?
Lastly other then junkyards where would be a good place to look for axles, would Boyce Equipment be a good place to shop at ?

I guess I should say that the truck spends more time on the street than in the dirt, but I do take it off road and at times drive roads that most people only walk or use atvs on.

Last edited:

wikallen

Boyce will cost you a lot more then it needs to be. Honestly, you should easily find what you are looking for in a junkyard, or even look in your local paper and craigslist. You could possibly find an entire truck that is rusted out for silly cheap, yet have the axles you need. Most of the time when you find someone selling axles only, they know what they have and will price them for what they are worth. When you find an entire truck for sale, the owner is just happy to get rid of it. It all depends on your ability and working space.

skateabrock

as far as gear ration goes, id try to go for 4.10's, there a great all around ratio, you should take a few min. and look up a gear ratio chart, it will answer a lot of your questions.

and for the wheel size, when it comes to chevy axles, a 15" rim will fit on all 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton axles EXCEPT for the DANA 60, but with a angle grinder and some patience you can take some steel off of the calipers and make them fit. 16", 16.5", 17" and on up will have no problem at all. I would stay clear of 16.5 unless your going to use the h1 double beadlocks or and other sort of beadlocks because of the lack of the safety bead.

ODdave

8 lugs are great if you have tons of power and weight, why not go with a semi flot 14 w/ 6 lug axles? keep your same rims, less weight and better ground clearance than the ff and a TON stronger than the 10 or 12 bolt. oh ya, and your pinion yoke will fit it so you dont need a oddball u-joint

chief1983

I got some axle woes of my own, and it seems that I'm not gonna be able to upgrade without losing some top speed, and 75 already seems like it's gonna kill the poor girl, but I like to pass quickly :)

Is there a tougher option than the 10bolt that would keep the 3.08, or at least something < 4.10?

Long term, I've considered moving up to the 4.10 but swapping the TH400 for a 4L80E and installing a manual shift kit to bypass needing the fancy shift computer. The overdrive would solve my highway woes and I've have lower gears for my off road fun, plus the control of the shift kit. Anyone done something like that?

Johnn Bravo

Well just with what I looked at so far it would be close or over what I paid for the truck to get a new axle and regear the front or get new axles all the way around, so not sure how I'll handle getting a new axle unless it's just a junker 10 bolt.

Mind you I never messed around with axles before so it's learn as I go. Thought I would take a look at it again today and see if I could figure something out, guess I got lucky and the axle broke right at the bearing so I just pulled the diff out.
So if I get really lucky tomorrow I will pull the diff out of my other truck, keep the fingers crossed that the gears are the same and they fit together without too much slop and I can drive it around like that for a while until I get a new axle or break it again :wink:

I did find out why I couldn't get the broken axle end out. It looks like it broke in half then rotated it into its self to be stuck in the diff forever.

Attachments

2deuce

Unless you want to go with a lift kit/trimming fenders and big tires 4:10 ratio will slow you down, actually anything above the 3:08 will cause a decrease in top speed. That is the dilemma I have too. I want stronger axles for towing, but I want to cruise at 70 without overreving the engine, the best way, I think to get that is replace the turbo 400 with a 4l80e, and thats not simple. I suppose you might fit a gear vender overdrive under there if theres room but from a cost standpoint that isn't very practical. I have stayed with the 10 bolt for now, but I put 255/85/16 tires which gave a noticeable increase in top speed. I have parted out a couple of suburbans one of them had a 3:42 set with a 4 spd. I thought about using that and because there is no slipping with a manual trans it may be comparable with the 3:08 and turbo 400 as far as engine rpms and speed. I have not found a 3:08 in a SF or FF axle, but I expect they are out there just rare. If you do get a low ratio axle you can add a range box to gear down but that adds more changes.

chief1983

Well until I get ready for the 4L80E swap, I'm gonna try to keep the 3.08 10bolt going. What civilian vehicle has the 10bolt so I can tell NAPA what car to give me the parts for? Did the 1/2 ton civilian blazer also have them?

Johnn, I'd make sure that it's the same ratio if you can check the original specs on your truck first.

jrou111

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I think my gov-lock is going out because when I go to turn it will lock both rear wheels and then make a popping noise when I straighten back up.

I have the $ to go with a 60/14, and I just want to upgrade to a 3.08 14SF 6 lug, since I don't want to have to buy tires/lift. And all of the 10 bolts around are $200+ :???:

2deuce

If it does I have never heard of one. It would be an ideal replacement. Probably the best place to look would be a 2wd 1/2 ton suburban, but I bet it would have a 10 bolt. In any event it would be rare. Grab the 16" wheels too if it has them, they are hard to find too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks