• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken glow plug tip, cant get it

84cucv1ton

finally got some time to work on it the swollen glow plug . broke it off. got the injector out. 30 min later still cant get the end out. tried a few different magnets. nothing. thought this would have been done by now.

seems straight forward. what am i missing?

thanks

armytruck63

Maybe you could try a shop vac duct-taped down to about 1/2 inch or smaller tubing. The stiffer the tubing or hose the better - otherwise you'll have a hard time directing it.

Just a thought...

Good luck

m38inmaine

Before I bought the tool to remove them I used a piece of wire with a pice of good sticky chewing gum on the end, that worked pretty well, also some stiff grease may work. The tool was well worth the $70.

appnut1

We suffered through his all the time in the civilian world till we realized a magnet won't work on something made of non ferrous metal and a factory training instructor taught us not to worry about the tip. It could not get out of the prechamber and would not not hurt anything, life got a whole lot easier after that.

Wolf.Dose

I also had some blown glow plugs. And tear of three of them. My final solution was to take the engine out, remove the injectors and with a flexible pliar with four tips I could get the torn of debris out of the prechamber.
Wolf

Chief_919

We suffered through his all the time in the civilian world till we realized a magnet won't work on something made of non ferrous metal and a factory training instructor taught us not to worry about the tip. It could not get out of the prechamber and would not not hurt anything, life got a whole lot easier after that.
I have a 6.5 with cylinder wall damage and a bent exhaust valve that says they sure can get down to areas where they can cause problems.

That said, an easy way is to find someone with small fingers, get some of the tackiest, stickiest grease you can find, dab some on the finger, put your finger in the injector hole, and the tip will stick to it and come out with a few tries.

Last edited:

kipman

OK, I have been there and done that, I removed the injector with, 30mm deep well socket I think, tried a shop vac, no luck, used a hemostat, all 5 broken tips came out. I have heard it told that the broken tip will not leave the prechamber, if the piece is small enough it could. Also heard to let the piece get chewed up by the piston, bad idea.

ralbelt

I have found hemostats at local flea market tool dealers, If you know someone that works at a hospital sometimes they dispose of damaged ones, I got a few years ago that way.

beaubeau

I haven't worked on a 6.2 in 20years. I did have a glo plug break and drop into cylinder. Had to change head. What would happen if engine was to be cranked, would the tip from glo plug get blown out of its area? Sounds too easy though!!!??? Good luck Phil

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had sucess with rotating the engine by hand untill that cylinder's intake valve opened. Then i stuffed a rag into that port in the intake manafold. Then used compressed air through the rag to blow it out of the injector hole. I had to plug the glow plug hole to make air only come out of the injector hole. Other wise it just danced around inside.