• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Rockwell Axle

dezert ratt

Pulled driverside shaft and it looked fine. When I slid it back in, I noticed it was not catching anything. I am able to spin the shaft by hand with it all the way against the hub with the flange bolts not in. I'm suspecting spider gears at this point. Gonna try to pull the chunk this weekend.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427501136.001935.jpg
Upon further investigation, pass side axle is stuck indicating the problem is in the chunk, and most likely spider gears. I'm sure a broken shaft would not be stuck and spinning free.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That sounds wrong to me.

Just like if you lifted that side of the axle off the ground(with the bolts still in it), you should be able to spin it.

dezert ratt

Read above post. Pass axle is locked in stuck. I can spin it by hand and it hits a hard spot and stops. Both shafts flop around like they are loose in the carrier. This is telling me that most likely the spider gears have broken apart. When I drain the diff I will be surprised if I don't have chunks of metal in the oil. The clunking would be the broken pieces of gear floating in the carrier and binding up. This all sounds pretty right to me and I've never taken a Rockwell chunk apart. Now where's the popcorn, I'm hungry!

dezert ratt

Anyone have good ideas for lifting the chunk off the middle axle with the bed still on the truck?
I was thinking about taking the middle axle tires off and letting the truck sit on the rears only. This would drop the middle axle low, so there will be more room to maneuver. Now as far as lifting the diff, I am open to ideas.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Look for posts by TMAmerica.

I'm pretty sure he drooped the middle axle, pushed up the rear axle and used a come-a-long to pull his "chunk".

I'll see what I can dig up.

dezert ratt

It wouldn't cost that much to install a small atv winch under the bed and have eyelets or pulleys over the rear chunks so in the future I could lift them out easy.

dezert ratt

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685034.335364.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685047.552186.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685058.135579.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685069.788852.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685081.551612.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685089.702252.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685100.586040.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685111.851548.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685119.518273.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427685129.068213.jpg
I finally had time today to tear into the broken axle on the deuce. Man what a task that was to get the chunk pulled out.
One of the shafts was wedged in the carrier, and I had to pry it loose and use a mallet to get it out. The chunk was really sealed with 20 years of paint and gunk. Once I broke it loose it came out pretty easy.
Upon inspection of the carrier. Looks like the spider gears and cross came apart. Now time to get some spider gears and rebuild.
All the gears and bearings look pretty good. I will go thru the chunk and clean everything to be sure there's no particles in the upper gears and bearings.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be a perfect time to forget spider gears and drop a Detroit NoSpin in the case halves.

dezert ratt

I was gonna go with the ouverson 2" axles and locker kit, but I have a trip planned 2 weeks from now and need to get the truck up and running.
Now that I know the weak link, I will be upgrading the axles in the near future.

turnkey

Dude get a dunebuggy....only 2 axles and iffn they break down ...4 guys can carry it to the shop.....Just kidding..Hope you find time to play at home and with the family...Me, I just have the guy tow it to a repair shop..There all better again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
View attachment 550753View attachment 550754View attachment 550755View attachment 550756View attachment 550757View attachment 550758View attachment 550759View attachment 550760View attachment 550761View attachment 550762
I finally had time today to tear into the broken axle on the deuce. Man what a task that was to get the chunk pulled out.
One of the shafts was wedged in the carrier, and I had to pry it loose and use a mallet to get it out. The chunk was really sealed with 20 years of paint and gunk. Once I broke it loose it came out pretty easy.
Upon inspection of the carrier. Looks like the spider gears and cross came apart. Now time to get some spider gears and rebuild.
All the gears and bearings look pretty good. I will go thru the chunk and clean everything to be sure there's no particles in the upper gears and bearings.
I have seen a lot worse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks